Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2022, 11:05 AM   #1

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
Dometic CCC2 thermostat issues

I have been lurking on Air Forums for 6 years now, and I have gained a wealth of knowledge. This is the first time I've posted.

I am trying to determine if I have an issue with the Atwood furnace or the Dometic CCC2 thermostat in our 2016 Flying Cloud 27FB. On our first trip of the season last week the furnace worked fine, but sometimes it didn't obey the thermostat settings. For example, we would set it for our desired nighttime temperature, as the camper cooled down the furnace would come on for a bit until the target temperature was reached, then shut off. This would happen several times during the night, and then I would wake up to discover the measured temperature was 4 degrees BELOW the set temperature, and the furnace had failed to turn on.

On other occasions in the morning we would set a higher target temperature, the furnace would run until that target temperature was reached. If I then bumped the target temperature up a few degrees, the furnace fan would turn on immediately, and then shut down after a minute or so. The furnace would not come on.

In both scenarios I was able to recover furnace operation by powering down the thermostat and turning it back on. (He scratches his head!). So we were able to stay warm, but it was inconvenient. I initially suspected a faulty thermostat, so I reset it and conducted a test. I set a temperature, and the furnace warmed to that temperature. I then added a few degrees, and the furnace came on and functioned properly. This was successful the first two increases, but on the third increase, the furnace quit after a minute.

Replacement of the thermostat looks easy; but if that isn't the issue, it would be a waste of money. I'm interested in your thoughts and whether you've seen this behavior before. I'm trying to set up a maintenance visit with our Airstream guy to service the furnace and troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your knowledge...it's kept me out of trouble numerous times!
Smugges is offline   Reply With Quote