Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2022, 07:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Dometic Air Distribution Boxes

I am installing a Dometic low profile unit and am trying to figure out which of the three air distribution boxes/control panel assemblies is the best one to get out of three of them. So what I am looking for is feedback on these various options as far as noise and functionality. I have the first one and it is a fail but the cheapest option. The second choice seems like more of the same but I am open to opinions. This is non-ducted manual control. All three of these will fit my AC unit. I ended up getting a deal on this unit used but almost new. It did not come with an air distribution box.

I have one of these now and can't say anything good about it. The original thermostat was junk and would stop cycling below about 75 degrees. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

The reviews on this one are not great. Air flow is restrictive and air vents don't flow well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

This one looks like the best option and is more expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LJAMEVOJ&psc=1
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California

I have the 2nd option on my newly installed 15000 BTU unit and am concerned that the front air vent will not provide enough air flow as the air comes around the return air baffle. The rear vent is wide open with plenty of air flow.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
I have the 3rd option and love it. It also small side flipped vents that are nice. The front rea vents can be adjusted to full, partial or closed so at nite you can direct more air to bedroom.
Bigdaddy_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
My RV is still in the shop so I won’t know for sure how it performs until later this summer. Am hoping it will be quieter and cooler than the old 13.5 BTU Armstrong.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I have the 2nd one on my newly installed Blizzard NXT. It's not great as it biases the airflow greatly towards the rear of the A/C unit / trailer. With very poor airflow forward. There is very little bias control to move airflow forward.

As I understand it, the 3rd ABD is much better in this regard with more balanced or divertible airflow forward vs rear.

Problem is that I led to believe the 3rd option is not compatible with my Blizzard NXT. I may still try it, even if I have to modify.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500

The Dometic shroud #2 was not delivering enough cold air to the front of the trailer. The shroud has 4 vents and in my view is designed for newer RVs with 2 A/C units and slide outs to provide cold air in a square pattern as opposed to the 2 vent rectangular pattern needed for older RVs with a single A/C unit and no slide outs. My RV shop retrofitted a Coleman low profile shroud with a front and rear vent and it works great and delivers the cold air to the ends of the trailer. The 15,000 BTU is a noticeable improvement from the 13,500 BTU Armstrong. I ran it in 100 degree weather and it did the job fine.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Houston , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RXLA View Post
The Dometic shroud #2 was not delivering enough cold air to the front of the trailer. The shroud has 4 vents and in my view is designed for newer RVs with 2 A/C units and slide outs to provide cold air in a square pattern as opposed to the 2 vent rectangular pattern needed for older RVs with a single A/C unit and no slide outs. My RV shop retrofitted a Coleman low profile shroud with a front and rear vent and it works great and delivers the cold air to the ends of the trailer. The 15,000 BTU is a noticeable improvement from the 13,500 BTU Armstrong. I ran it in 100 degree weather and it did the job fine.
Can you post a link to the Coleman shroud you like? Was it a fairly basic retrofit, or messy?
SS-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote