Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Dometic Air Conditioner Vibration

We've had our 2016 23D Flying Cloud for 2 weeks shy of a year, and have managed to exceed our goal of using it at least one long weekend per month, which is the Good News.

The Bad News is that last weekend we developed a MASSIVE vibration in the Dometic A/C unit. Couldn't carry-on a normal conversation inside. Outside, the unit was visibly vibrating and making 5-10 decibels more noise than usual. YIKES. We made an appointment with a Dometic dealer, and suffered through a four day weekend with the A/C sounding like a freight train.

Consulted various fora, including (GASP!) SOBs, where the opinion centered-on mud dauber wasp nests on the condenser squirrel-cage fan blades, which sounded WACKY.

Sent a note to our dealer up in Stephenville, TX, who also suggested the wacky Mud Dauber nest diagnosis.

Back at home, I dragged out the ladder, propped it on the zipdee, and removed the white A/C cover (4 Phillips-head fender-type screws). It took a minute to find it, but lo-and-behold there it was: a two-cell mud dauber nest near the outer end of the condenser squirrel cage, the single worst place to add an eccentric weight in the entire apparatus (as it adds a bending moment component to the mix)

Whole operation took about 15 minutes, a tiny fraction of the time I spent fretting about it up-front.

From what I can gather, and as weird as it sounds, this is indeed a relatively common problem along the Gulf Coast.

Hopefully I can save somebody from a bunch of panic, or worse, having to drag their Airstream into a dealer for such a simple fix.

One odd thing is that the fan motor shaft (a double extended shaft with squirrel cages each end, one for air handling and one for condenser) has a LOT of end-play in it, say 1/8" (about 3mm). I'm sending a note to Dometic to see if that's normal.
Hareynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The Offending Mud Duaber Nest

Thar she blows! Or sits, anyway.
About 30 mm long, 20 mm wide, unhatched. Maybe we shook the larvae to death, dunno..

You can see the thin slot where the squirrel-cage blade was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	292687  
Hareynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #3

Novato , California
Thank you for sharing this … had the same problem as we were getting ready for a trip. Got on the roof and found the dauber on the fan blades. Got it cleared and blown out so all is good now. Thank you so much for saving me a trip to the dealership for repairs.
pmonroe47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Here is a simple preventative maintenance tip, free of charge, that will help immensely; use your trailer more frequently!

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
If you weigh the dauber domicile in grams and measure from the fan shaft axis to the center point of attachment in CM of said domicile you multiply these values and it gives you the GCM imbalance value of the daubers efforts.

Possibly adjusting the sway bars or adding airbags and this issue goes away.

Prof. Irwininum Corluminum

Good catch

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Livingston , Texas
what's the model number for on a 2022 dual AC 15and 13K BTU

Can anybody help out identifying what the actual 15,000 BTU and the 13,000 BTU with heat pumps dometic AC models are? I have looked at my manuals and ai can't find out the specs. Thanks in advance.
los man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:06 PM   #7
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Those boys at Bayer RV know their stuff.