Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Dometic thermostat inside temp wrong.

Hi All,

We are on a trip in Alpine Texas, and the Dometic thermostat thinks it is 32 degrees inside (it is 83). So the air conditioner compressor won’t come on.

I have tried resetting it twice. It will go up to the upper 30s or low 40s then drops back down to 32.

Any suggestions? Or does the thermostat likely need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance.
barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Ah, "the 32 degree problem". There are threads on that. Try
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...em-203350.html

As I recall, there's a temp sensor up in the roof at the bottom of the air conditioner. Sometimes it is not properly installed, and it falls into the drain that catches condensed water from the coils. When it is wet, it reads 32 degrees. The A/C won't run when it thinks it is that cold.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank you!!

I read the solution. Any idea if I go at it from the top removing the AC shroud, or from the inside removing the AC vent panel?

In either case, any idea how to remove it? For the AC vent panel, does it just pull off?
Old 10-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
I found more info in the thread that say I may be able to fix it from inside, and see 2 screws to remove from the inside vent cover. So I have a plan for tomorrow! Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2022, 06:27 PM   #5

Clarksville , Arkansas
We have the same issue with our new 2022 25FB FC. It reads the wrong inside temperature so it just keeps heating. Today, we had it set to 65 getting ready to hit the road on Wednesday. It warmed right up and the unit kept running. When I checked the Dometic thermostat it read 50 degrees as the internal temp. Knowing it was way warmer than that I grabbed our Acurite thermostat and it shows the actual temp.

They already (supposedly) replaced the thermostat once for this issue but alas, not fixed. I am having to fudge the desired temp to get it in the ballpark of what we really want.

Anyone solve this issue yet? Thanks for any help! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	411005
LoveKerrLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
This isn't a C vs F thing is it? Sometimes my Microaire Dometic replacement flips to celsius by itself 32C = 89F. On the microaire you just need to tap the temp numbers to get it to switch back.
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 03:33 PM   #7

2019 27' Globetrotter
Tremonton , Utah

I have been plagued with a thermostat that reads the wrong temperature in my 2019 Globetrotter 27FB. I finally fixed it today, after consulting with Airstream support. My trailer has a single AC unit. With a single AC unit, there should not be a remote temperature sensor. The system should use the temperature at the thermostat. However, in my trailer, the factory plugged a remote sensor into the AC unit, with the sensor left somewhere in the roof or walls of the trailer. The fix was simple: unscrew the return air panels in the ceiling under the AC; and unplug the unwanted temperature sensor wires. This is a pair of white wires, with a conveniently located translucent white connector. After unplugging this connector, the thermostat immediately started reading the inside temperature at the thermostat. Problem solved!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1602.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	436528  
rpgraham is offline   Reply With Quote