Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
1976 31' Sovereign
houma , Louisiana
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 15
Does the roof need to be reinforced for 2 A/C units ?

I recently picked up 2 dometic penguin low profile ac units for my airstream - A 1976 31foot sovereign. I was originally only going to put in one unit but I got 2 for the price of one at a surplus sale, and living in south Louisiana the heat and humidity are just about as bad as it gets.

My question is what needs to be done to the roof to install 2 units. I don't want to cause a weight issue. I want to put the second unit on the rear of the trailer where the old vent is. This trailer undergoing a large restoration project so adding bracing would not be hard but I would like to hear from some of you who have done this already.

Thanks,

Jacques
CajunCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Al and Missy's Avatar
 
2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,175
Check with Out of Doors Mart in NC. They sell (or did sell) a reinforcing frame for use when replacing a vent with an AC unit.

And yes, the roof does need reinforcing. At least newer trailers do.
__________________
“You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"
Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO WBCCI 1322
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,392
Images: 2
Yes. Aluminum c channel, riveted top and bottom and vulkem between the outer and inner aluminum sheets.

Or some really good wood, completely tape / seal with gorilla tape And use large pan head screws and vulkem. This is how I added our second ac on our 34’, 1999 8 years ago..
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Re-Pete's Avatar

 
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Yes. Aluminum c channel, riveted top and bottom and vulkem between the outer and inner aluminum sheets.

Or some really good wood, completely tape / seal with gorilla tape And use large pan head screws and vulkem. This is how I added our second ac on our 34’, 1999 8 years ago..
cwf, Any pictures? What dimension (gauge, width, edges, etc.) C channel did you use for this? I'm afraid I'm not able to visualize what you mean by riveting top and bottom. Would you mind breaking your install down a bit for us short bus kids.
__________________
Pete
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,392
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
cwf, Any pictures? What dimension (gauge, width, edges, etc.) C channel did you use for this? I'm afraid I'm not able to visualize what you mean by riveting top and bottom. Would you mind breaking your install down a bit for us short bus kids.
Howdy, Pete.. That was several years and storage platforms (clouds) ago... let me try to locate..

I did an Airforums search with words "AC bracing".. here is one with a good view to help:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...it-192585.html
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Re-Pete's Avatar

 
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Howdy, Pete.. That was several years and storage platforms (clouds) ago... let me try to locate..

I did an Airforums search with words "AC bracing".. here is one with a good view to help:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...it-192585.html

Channing,
Thanks!! This looks good. If you remember anything else that might be helpful I'm all ears. BTW do you remember where you bought the Aluminum channel you used on your opening?
__________________
Pete
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
Moderator
 
HiHoAgRV's Avatar

 
1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,901
Images: 29
Blog Entries: 49
Here is how we added a second ac.


https://www.airforums.com/forums/f20...tml#post839907
__________________
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie(RIP) -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy https://www.airforums.com/forums/f20...num-54749.html
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly https://www.airforums.com/forums/f10...ome-71609.html
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:41 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,392
Images: 2
Pete..
Hope you guys are high and dry.. the storm's a comin'..

I used treated wood then wrapped in Gorilla tape.

I do not at this time remember precisely the dimension. I am thinking it is about 2" square. It just needs to keep the two skins apart. I then put the Vulkem on the inside aluminum sheet, slid the boards into place, clamped to stop movement then screwed down with broad shallow panhead screws. I put 6 per side. Make sure you cut the boards correctly because you need to account for best fit.

Ping me if you want more ideas...
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Re-Pete's Avatar

 
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Pete..
Hope you guys are high and dry.. the storm's a comin'..

I used treated wood then wrapped in Gorilla tape.

I do not at this time remember precisely the dimension. I am thinking it is about 2" square. It just needs to keep the two skins apart. I then put the Vulkem on the inside aluminum sheet, slid the boards into place, clamped to stop movement then screwed down with broad shallow panhead screws. I put 6 per side. Make sure you cut the boards correctly because you need to account for best fit.

Ping me if you want more ideas...

Thanks Channing,
We weathered the storm just fine. I have a feeling we might be in for a few more this season.

I appreciate the additional detail. Somehow I misunderstood what you originally posted. It's crystal clear now.
__________________
Pete
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Body on Frame reinforced hitch tnguyen Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 0 01-26-2020 08:52 PM
reinforced frame walleye001 General Repair Forum 1 03-18-2016 12:40 PM
I Need Photos/Diagram of Reinforced Mercedes Hitch jonnie3 Hitches, Couplers & Balls 8 05-05-2015 01:14 AM
Fiberglass Reinforced Panels........ RV H-D Lady Sinks, Showers & Toilets 2 11-09-2010 07:15 PM
Fiberglass Reinforced Panels........ RV H-D Lady Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 3 11-07-2010 05:14 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.