Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Does Mach 8 need the OEM Drip-pan?

Pretty much a yes/no question but the folks at PPL RV didn't know and they referred me to Coleman Inc. whose service offices were closed. Any info would be appreciated...
JDB
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJORJDB View Post
Pretty much a yes/no question but the folks at PPL RV didn't know and they referred me to Coleman Inc. whose service offices were closed. Any info would be appreciated...
JDB
No, but the drip cup kit will allow it to drain through the drain tube.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
No, but the drip cup kit will allow it to drain through the drain tube.
Yup the Cup.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:26 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Getting somewhere

Thanks for your help, I think I'm finally getting somewhere. When I order this unit do you think the "cup kit" and condensation pump need to be ordered/used together? I've seen Mach 8 units advertised with/without the condense pump. Does one replace the other? At least I don't need to deal with a new pan and I can peel the rest of the old one of the roof(small victories !!!
Regards,
JDB
Old 03-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
The is the kit that I PMed you about yesterday. I don't know about the condensate pump for the Coleman, but www.etrailer.com should be able to tell you which system you need.

Good luck

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Larry,
Thanks for your help, will check with etrailer and keep you posted...

Jim
Old 03-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Update #2: Finally got ahold of a Coleman tech, he stated that the Mach 8 (part #47224A876(White) does have the condensate pump which will tie into the drip tube on an AS if "hacked" together (his words,not mine). However, the OEM pan must remain in place as it adjusts for the curvature of the AS roof and the Mach 8 is mounted on top of that.
I thought I read on these forums that folks can double the roof gasket to get a good seal w/o the OEM Pan. Anyone know if that will work with the Mach 8 system? I did order a second gasket just in case. At least I have something inbound to fill the hole in the roof... One day at a time!!!
Thanks for your continued support,
James
Old 03-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
[QUOTE=MAJORJDB;1763709]Update #2: Finally got ahold of a Coleman tech, he stated that the Mach 8 (part #47224A876(White) does have the condensate pump which will tie into the drip tube on an AS if "hacked" together (his words,not mine). However, the OEM pan must remain in place as it adjusts for the curvature of the AS roof and the Mach 8 is mounted on top of that.
I thought I read on these forums that folks can double the roof gasket to get a good seal w/o the OEM Pan. Anyone know if that will work with the Mach 8 system? I did order a second gasket just in case. At least I have something inbound to fill the hole in the roof... One day at a time!!!
James[/QUOTE

I realize you are dealing with the Coleman product, and mine is a Dometic, however on mine at least, there were two gaskets used, AND a "spacer" that is towards the rear of the AC to give support to the entire unit.
I don't see why the same idea couldn't work with your Coleman.

I think if you could get a copy of the Dometic installation instructions, if would answer your question...

Good luck

Larry
Old 03-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Larry,
Thanks, it seems so complicated of an issue, but is it really? You would think there would be a retro-fit kit to fit multiple brands to the older trailers as they are probably being replaced on a regular basis. I hadn't heard of a roof "spacer", is that something you purchased or did you craft it? This "spacer" should fit any brand as it most likely has a 14" x 14" opening correct? If this is something you purchased through Dometic and have a part # you could pass along it would be greatly appreciated. I will search for a Dometic manual/spacer and keep you posted. Have a super day!!!
Regards,
James
Old 03-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
With a Mach 8, simply order the model with the condensate pump and an additional gasket. The hose leading from the pump plumbs into your interior drain line and the additional gasket allow extra padding to allow the unit to perfectly conform to the roof curve.

I would avoid the roof pan at all costs!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lew,
Thats just what I ordered, the Mach 8 w/condensate pump and an extra gasket as I thought the extra gasket was what folks were recommending to get a proper roof seal. Also read about the "hush kit" is that an upgrade for older units or something I should install on my new AC before mounting? Just started searching for the hush kit online but haven't narrowed down anyone who sells them or if I even need it. I do have the factory tech line # if I can't find out through the forum. However, they were so-so the last time I talked to them (2 days ago) so I'll see what I can find out first. Don't have the new AC yet anyway... Thanks for your input!!
Regards,
James
Old 03-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Lew,
Thats just what I ordered, the Mach 8 w/condensate pump and an extra gasket as I thought the extra gasket was what folks were recommending to get a proper roof seal. Also read about the "hush kit" is that an upgrade for older units or something I should install on my new AC before mounting? Just started searching for the hush kit online but haven't narrowed down anyone who sells them or if I even need it. I do have the factory tech line # if I can't find out through the forum. However, they were so-so the last time I talked to them (2 days ago) so I'll see what I can find out first. Don't have the new AC yet anyway... Thanks for your input!!
Regards,
James

James,

AFAIK, the quiet kit is a new fan blade for the condenser. The tech line number you probably have is for 'techs' and the phone guys don't like talking to 'customers'.

Tell them you're doing the install and they may open up a bit. :-))

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
I don't know if this will help you, but I was just reading this couples' restoration blog post about installing the Mach 8 with the drip pump adaptation with step by step instructions.

Mach 8 Installation
Old 03-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Larry,
Thanks, it seems so complicated of an issue, but is it really? You would think there would be a retro-fit kit to fit multiple brands to the older trailers as they are probably being replaced on a regular basis. I hadn't heard of a roof "spacer", is that something you purchased or did you craft it? This "spacer" should fit any brand as it most likely has a 14" x 14" opening correct? If this is something you purchased through Dometic and have a part # you could pass along it would be greatly appreciated. I will search for a Dometic manual/spacer and keep you posted. Have a super day!!!
Regards,
James
I think Lew is right on target with his comment about the condensate pump and extra gasket...My extra gasket came with the condensate cup kit....good luck!

Larry
Old 03-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Update #2: Finally got ahold of a Coleman tech, he stated that the Mach 8 (part #47224A876(White) does have the condensate pump which will tie into the drip tube on an AS if "hacked" together (his words,not mine). However, the OEM pan must remain in place as it adjusts for the curvature of the AS roof and the Mach 8 is mounted on top of that.
James
If "hacked" together means that there is a barb fitting supplied in the condensate pump kit that exactly fits the factory drain hose inside the Airstream, then I guess you can hack it.

You're probably not going to need that second gasket. The Penguin drain cup setup requires a second gasket because the tube has to run through the gasket to reach the interior of the coach. My Mach 8 Cub condensate kit (I presume the same kit for all Mach 8's) has the drain tube running into the coach through the return air.

If you remove the Armstrong A/C entirely like I did, you're going to have to build out the 14" opening so it's got some thickness to it aside from the aluminum exterior skin. The AC attaches with four bolts that pinch the ceiling between a supplied metal frame inside the coach and the AC on top. There needs to be some thickness to the roof so it's got something to hold on to. Lots of people use wood for this, but I framed the hole with 1" square aluminum tube.

You asked about the hush kit in another thread. Near as I can tell, it's a different style of fan blade, and my fan blade looks like the new one. So, I'm betting you've already got it if you bought new.

Let me know if you have other questions or you need me to take pictures of something. I don't have my interior skins completely in yet, so I haven't finished my blog post about the interior install.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote