Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Arvada , Colorado
Does Anyone Have a Good Coleman NDQ 10 Condensation Catching Solution?

Coleman apparently started making low-profile NDQ A/C units again and we must have got one of the first ones off the line. We plan on polishing our 1964 Tradewinds trailer at some point, so I don't want the condensation to drip randomly down the side.

I ran a 1/2" tube inside the trailer walls to catch it, but that tube is inside my 14" square access hole and the drains are outside the access.

You can see in the pictures below that this NDQ unit has a long tray to catch the condensation with two drain nipples on either side OUTSIDE the mounting square. (I'm glad I took these pictures because I only saw one of them earlier.

I bought the Dometic kit and plan to modify it to fit. But does anyone have a better solution?

idougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
If I recall correctly what I did about 7 or so years ago on my Dometic Brisk II, I used 2 of the 14" square foam seals, and ran the 2 tubes through one of the seals (I forget if it was the top or bottom layer).the foam seal formed a tight seal around the tubes. Once the tubes were inside, I connected them to the drain tube that was already in place from the original A/C
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
drain kit

Hi, Have you installed the Dometic drain kit on your Coleman yet. I am curious, as I have a Coleman Mach15 sitting in my garage, and thinking if I am going to modify the drain, now is the time to do it.

I am also thinking about modifying the drain that goes through the base with regular tubing, and toss the ones they installed.

I talked to the Coleman folks and they said that there wasn't enough room to run the drain inside, but I don't agree with their comment.

Mike
Old 04-05-2021, 07:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Arvada , Colorado
I haven't installed it yet, but I've looked at all the pieces and it seems straightforward and should work fine. It's almost as if Coleman planned it to work.

I'm not sure if the 15 has the same layout and I can understand how someone who doesn't understand how the kit is supposed to be installed would think it wouldn't work. I certainly had big plans to customize it.

The kit adds a second piece of foam that the A/C sits on, so there are two pieces of foam. The external hose to the cups goes through the manufacturers foam and the whole unit sits on the foam from the kit for waterproofing from the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxter View Post
Hi, Have you installed the Dometic drain kit on your Coleman yet. I am curious, as I have a Coleman Mach15 sitting in my garage, and thinking if I am going to modify the drain, now is the time to do it.

I am also thinking about modifying the drain that goes through the base with regular tubing, and toss the ones they installed.

I talked to the Coleman folks and they said that there wasn't enough room to run the drain inside, but I don't agree with their comment.

Mike
Old 04-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
installing the catch cups

i forget if the cups screw on, but if so i would watch out for refrigerant lines laying where the screw may go through the pan

Water on the roof would drive me nuts. I am gonna try your solution on my Coleman Mach 15. So hurry up my trailer is getting hot

mike
Old 04-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Arvada , Colorado
They do screw in and I plan to silicon them as well. I'm pretty sure all of the mechanism happens further back and it's just insulation in that area, but I'll double check.

It'll be awhile, LOL. I do want to get it out of my shop, but our house shower has been leaking for years and we're on the tail end of an unexpected complete bathroom demo and rebuild put all my other projects on hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxter View Post
i forget if the cups screw on, but if so i would watch out for refrigerant lines laying where the screw may go through the pan

Water on the roof would drive me nuts. I am gonna try your solution on my Coleman Mach 15. So hurry up my trailer is getting hot

mike