Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2022, 06:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Dehumidifier

Getting ready for a trip and it's going to be unusually cold here in Florida. I know in my motorhome when it was in the 30s and 40s I'd wake up with puddles of water on the dashboard and near the windows. I can only imaging how my 25' beer can will do with 3 humans and 3 dogs exhaling over a cold night. So I just ordered this compact dehumidifier. Unlike my motorhome, I don't have a lot of spare space to work with. This one seems fairly compact and may even be able to sit on the counter near the sink and drain in there. The shower is also a possibility, but I'd have to run an extension cord from somewhere and also keep the door open to make sure it gets adequate air circulation. It says it covers 1500 sq feet, but those numbers are almost always overstated. We'll have to see how it goes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
I have a similar size dehumidifier and it works great. I run it for about 3 days constantly while parked in front of the house to dry the trailer out twice a year. I don't run it while we are camping because of the noise and we boondock a lot (no hookups) but it sees a fair bit of use in between. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
I have a similar size dehumidifier and it works great. I run it for about 3 days constantly while parked in front of the house to dry the trailer out twice a year. I don't run it while we are camping because of the noise and we boondock a lot (no hookups) but it sees a fair bit of use in between. - Brad
I've thought about running it in storage. But it's so far away I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Our Colaze FD01 is working well so far. The first Colaze did not. I returned it and gave it a bad review. They begged me to take a bigger one for free if I’d remove the review. That free one works well. It has a bit of a rattle that I’ll try to fix. This is our first trip with it. Can’t vouch for its durability. 25#. Foot square footprint. 21” high.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I've thought about running it in storage. But it's so far away I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that.
Yeah, in storage I use a damp-rid passive system (salt crystals draining into a reservoir.) Works fine after I've dried the trailer out at home with the dehumidifier. You can find them in any hardware/home improvement store. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
I have found that popping up the bathroom vent (leaving the fan off) helps reduce condensation. If the furnace has to run a little more it has not been noticable.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have the GE model, we purchased while in NC while at Alumalina 3 years ago. Got it from Home Depot. We use it a lot in TX, LA, FL, etc. Store in the shower when traveling. It has 20 pint capacity with auto shut off when full; we empty in sink or dump outside if boondocking. In FL we were getting about 6 hours before filling the first night. Not noisy to us, but we also run AC many times with it, so don't notice difference. It can warm you up without the AC...so if not using AC, run your roof fan...
GE ADEW20LY Portable Compact Multi Speed Electric Home Dehumidifier with Auto Defrost, 20 Pints $119 on Amazon currently.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Wife and I, with the dog, are in northern Florida. The other night it was down to 27° and I just opened the Fantastic Fan vent, no fan. We are using the heat pump until it gets down to 40° then we switch to space heaters and furnace. Having the front FF vent open really helps control moisture. I have an indicator for humidity and it's usually just above the comfort zone, about 40-50%. I will turn on the fan if it gets much higher, to vent.

They are calling for 25° tomorrow night. I'll be putting some foam noodles on the water line. . This is NOT why I came down here. Of course, the day after we leave the temps jump up to the 70s.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:28 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
We are using the heat pump until it gets down to 40° then we switch to space heaters and furnace. (
This interests me. We are going to be camping in South Carolina next week and it will be cold. Does the furnace not provide enough heat that you have to use the space heaters? What kind are you using and feel comfortable with. Thanks.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
My experience is that the furnace will keep you nice and toasty down to 25, my lowest temperature experience. But....you burn a lot of propane. So if are on full hookups then a balance of space heaters and furnace might save you a gas bill. I was burning a 30 pound tank in two days at Yellowstone late season with 25 every night and highs only getting up to the low 40's.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Burning through propane??

What is your daytime furnace temp set to?
How about nighttime?

50F to 55F furnace at night for us. But we have a queen bed. It’s snuggly. 64F during the day. Lower if the outside temp is really low. Never below 50F because of the tanks.

It’s better than a tent. We’ve broken ice off of tents more than a few times. 55F in a trailer is living easy.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
This interests me. We are going to be camping in South Carolina next week and it will be cold. Does the furnace not provide enough heat that you have to use the space heaters? What kind are you using and feel comfortable with. Thanks.
Florida charges an extra $7 a night for electricity. I can see that in the summer but in winter I normally use my furnace. So to get my money's worth I use the heat pump and space heaters. Call me cheap. Also, the furnace is fairly noisy in our 23'.

I have 2 space heaters; Lasko and Vornado. Both are very quiet, much quieter than the furnace. Both are on low and run most of the time, driving off humidity. So far I haven't needed the furnace except the night it went down to 27°. I set it to 72° and it kicks in if needed.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 01-29-2022, 04:25 AM   #13
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
We use an electric space heater when we're on a site with hook ups. It won't add humidity and cause condensation and the power is already bought and paid for if we're in a site with electric. No need to run down our propane unless it's below freezing, and then the reason is to keep the tanks warm - the propane furnace blows warm air down around the tanks. The electric space heater won't do a thing for the tanks.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
On mine there are separate tank heaters for black and gray. The owners manual says both tanks are insulated.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 01-29-2022, 09:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
My experience is that the furnace will keep you nice and toasty down to 25, my lowest temperature experience. But....you burn a lot of propane. So if are on full hookups then a balance of space heaters and furnace might save you a gas bill. I was burning a 30 pound tank in two days at Yellowstone late season with 25 every night and highs only getting up to the low 40's.
Ive been down to 18 couple times in Tetons early season or late season on way to MT. The Heat Pumps don't do much below 45 degrees. We augment with space heaters, but keep the furnace at it's lowest temp during the days, 40 degrees. Same at night; want to make sure you use the Furnace when it gets down to freezing to avoid pipe freeze. You can open cabinets with electric heat running during the day, to help conserve using propane, but I would not risk at night without Furnace on, at least at 40. Using electric blankets can help for sure, but don't forget to either use electric hose outside or disconnect at night to avoid hose freezing. There are several folks who use their AS in winter to go skiing, or enjoy the snow, if you look at other postings.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Looks like the thread got about 8 replies in before it morphed froze dehumidifier into furnace vs heat pump vs electric heaters :0

I have 2 ceramic heaters we used in our Class A that I’ll be bringing along. I like them better than the furnace as long as it does not get too cold.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Back to topic...Dehumidifier

As pointed out, may have "drifted" a bit off topic...We have used our Dehumidifier in all temps where humidity is an issue; cold or warm weather. Some times opening your vent, including running your fantastic fan can "help". Other times we have found, it makes things worse. I must say, when it's humid in the AS, it can be miserable...the humidifier helps A LOT! We forgot ours at home last year when we went down to South Padre Island; winter time, right?
Not really humid so no big deal...we were miserable for 2 nights! I made a speed run to Brownsville to Home Depot and purchased another one; used it for rest of our trip. Night and day difference once you have used one...don't really know the difference without one; but when you see the amount of water they pull out in a few hours, you will be amazed.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Denver, NC , North Carolina
we're in FL. We have a dehumidifier sitting at home in NC that we didn't think about needing. After a little bit of cooler weather here with all the windows and door closed after about 2 days I was off to Home Depot to purchase the smallest unit -22 pints. If you're in a humid area and get any temperature swings you'll have condensation. Dehumidifier is a little noisy but worth it to me to remove the moisture.
bbcubed53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I bought a 30 pint. Going to get a chance to try it out soon. Not as cold now as the last few days, but who knows? This one is pretty small and easily fits on the counter or table. It is a bit noisy, but better than waking up to rain coming off the ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcubed53 View Post
we're in FL. We have a dehumidifier sitting at home in NC that we didn't think about needing. After a little bit of cooler weather here with all the windows and door closed after about 2 days I was off to Home Depot to purchase the smallest unit -22 pints. If you're in a humid area and get any temperature swings you'll have condensation. Dehumidifier is a little noisy but worth it to me to remove the moisture.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Desiccant dehumidifier is the best way to go especially during winter time. I have been using the Ivation for 3yrs and am very pleased with it. Rather than blowing cold air and always defrosting (compressor types) the Desiccant always runs and blows warm air. Ordered mine on Amazon.
mschneid is offline   Reply With Quote