Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschneid View Post
Desiccant dehumidifier is the best way to go especially during winter time. I have been using the Ivation for 3yrs and am very pleased with it. Rather than blowing cold air and always defrosting (compressor types) the Desiccant always runs and blows warm air. Ordered mine on Amazon.
Is this the one you got? It's a 13 pint unit
https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-13-Pi...ustomerReviews

I bought this compressor type on Amazon and it's a 30 pint capacity. The compressor one is slightly smaller than the desiccant one. Can't compare the noise between the two, but the compressor one could be run at a lower speed and probably keep up with the 13 pint capacity. The compressor also blows hot air, just out the other side. More hot than cold if I recall my thermodynamics from college.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P2VVX9X...roduct_details
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
To manage the humidity we leave both bath and shower vents open.
In the morning we run the exhaust fans to get fresh air.
During the day we try to open doors and windows to get fresh air.

If it is going to freeze we set the forced air heater to around 55F, and also run a small space heater.

Lately we have just used 5 gallon propane tanks with a regulator and the Airstream low pressure port as a propane source. It is less work to keep the smaller propane tanks filled.

Very cold and windy here in Utah. But Zion is just too beautiful.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I bought a 30 pint. Going to get a chance to try it out soon. Not as cold now as the last few days, but who knows? This one is pretty small and easily fits on the counter or table. It is a bit noisy, but better than waking up to rain coming off the ceiling.
We store in the shower when traveling, and move it to front of AS when we sleep, and rear (bed area) when we are up and about. Works for us.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #24
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Dehumidifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Is this the one you got? It's a 13 pint unit

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-13-Pi...ustomerReviews

I bought this compressor type on Amazon and it's a 30 pint capacity. The compressor one is slightly smaller than the desiccant one. Can't compare the noise between the two, but the compressor one could be run at a lower speed and probably keep up with the 13 pint capacity. The compressor also blows hot air, just out the other side. More hot than cold if I recall my thermodynamics from college.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P2VVX9X...roduct_details

I use that Ivation unit. Full timing it right now in the cold (down to minus 6 F a few times), and never have condensation or ice on windows. The compressor types are very inefficient in cooler temps. And noisier. The dessicant type works great in cooler temps—I use a heated mattress pad with my furnace set to 45 at night. Comfy as can be. The dehumidifier provides some heat but my furnace still kicks on to maintain 45 degrees. In the morning I crank up the furnace for a bit and then switch to electric space heater till bedtime. No plumbing freeze issues (I do have a vinyl skirt on the trailer that helps quite a bit—under the trailer is 15 to 20 degrees warmer than outside ambient.) I only use 30# of propane every 3-4 weeks. 23d Trailer so of course results will vary with larger trailers. Electricity is metered here and is about $90 a month (winter).

The dehumidifier provides a nice white noise fan sound which I like, and it’s nearly full every morning. I only run it overnight for the most part.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:41 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Our trailer is outside with 110v power. We purchased a ProBreeze 52oz to pull moisture out of the air. The trailer has been sitting for a couple of weeks, refrigerator is on and furnace set at 40° F. All windows/vents closed and I get 1/2 cup of water a day in the dehumidifier tank.

I expected the amount of water reclaimed would taper off after a few days. Are the weather seals on the storage doors and windows that ineffective? How much water does your dehumidifier pull per day?

Thanks, Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProBreeze.png
Views:	19
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	413688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reclaimed Water.png
Views:	15
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	413689  

Name:	Weather near Portland, OR.png
Views:	16
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	413690  
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
What is your ambient indoor temp? That dehumidifier works at 60F and higher. I think it’s a compressor type. For low temps you need a desiccant type of dehumidifier.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 04:05 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Thumbs up Toshiba Energy Star dehumidifier

I bought a Toshiba compressor-style dehumidifier for my trailer just before Christmas. It has been working very well. It works in cold temperatures, but for many reasons it is more effective in warmer temperatures than colder ones. In the depths of winter (not very cold by "Back East" standards here in Oregon) it pulled out a quart of water per day. Now that the trailer is heating up to 60-70F every afternoon in the sun it pulls out 2+ quarts of water per day. When I started using the dehumidifier the trailer was starting to get that funky Oregon smell of an unheated room or camper that isn't heated all winter. After even a couple of days, the trailer smelled cold but normal, with the usual dusty smell it had all summer long.

I recommend this unit wholeheartedly.

Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
All I ever hear from the ProBreeze is a fan, beats me what it's process is.

The inside temp this morning was 53° F. Furnace is set to 40° F just to guard against freezing temps.

I think it's unlikely that we're pulling water from the 3 P-traps but even so, at 1/2 cup daily, I would have expected those to have dried up by now.

When camping I use a chamois to dry the inside of the curved windows and on any window that opens I use a squeegee to wipe the moisture.

I see a reply from skucera, maybe there really is that much moisture in the air.

Thanks, Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OutsideTemp.png
Views:	17
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	413709  
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have used a GE 20 pint dehumidifier for past 3 years, when traveling in humid states, both winter and summer. It is very efficient, has auto shut off when full. It really makes a difference in sleeping and general comfort. Have used in Ohio, SC, NC, FL, TX, LA, primarily; 30 degrees thru 100 degrees..it does great job. We store in the shower when traveling. White noise when sleeping....we use in bedroom area between the twin beds when we are in the front of the AS for cooking/TV or what ever; move to the front at night. Amazon or Home Depot.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote