Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
Crickets in the AC

This past weekend, we were out on a trip. Our AC is relatively new (6 months). After running a bit, we began to hear a squeak from the AC that has a cricket sound.

No I don't believe it to be real crickets. If you bump the AC or shut the door the airstream, I get a short reprieve.

My daughter says it just makes her feel like she is sleeping outdoors. That is ok but for a 6 month old investment, crickets noises are not going to cut it.

Suggestions on how to remove the cricket sound from the fan.
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Cricket noise may one of a couple possibilities. A bearing in the fan motor is dry. They bearings are permently sealed and access to them is not easy, however if you could spray WD 40 or as light lube into where the fan motor bearings are you might get some relief. Otherwise, if it is the bearing in the fan motor it will have to be replaced. BTW the smell of the lube you spray in there needs to be acceptable, otherwise you trade the cricket in for the smell of a ?????? Or worse. You get both!

Another possibility would be a loose internal part that moves ever so slightly when the unit is in operation that it creates the Jimminy sound. Dissassembly and close inspection and tightening of fasteners may help.

Also look for parts that are in contact with each other that are not supposed to be touching. If they are rubbing against each other and vibrating, well you get an unpleasant sound.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
FFI,

You will have to get on your roof and remove the A/C shroud. If it's a new unit, it's probably a Dometic DuoTherm. With the A/C breaker OFF, check the compressor hold down lugs and spin the squirrel cage at the condenser (it faces the rear) to see if you get the noise or any other feel of an obstruction. Also go over the sheet metal screws to see if all of the sheet metal housings are making solid connections. Also look for pest infestation anywhere you have access and check the 4 screws that hold down the fan mounting brackets to the floor pan and then the 4 bolts that go thru the rubber mounts in the brackets. If any one of them is loose, it may cause a vibration or random noise like you have. Finally, remove the air distribution box on the interior ceiling of the T/T (where the filter is) and locate the 4 mounting bolts that hold the A/C to the roof and give them a crank with a socket wrench....just in case they came loose or were improperly set at the factory.

Action, FYI, I have never seen motor bearings available for newer A/C units and it has been my experience that one does not replace fan bearings....rather, the entire fan motor gets replaced per factory policy.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Lew you are correct. Bad choice on my part by using the word it. By it I meant the fan motor.

".... if it is the bearing in the fan motor it will have to be replaced."

In fact the bearings are sealed also. It's only by luck that one may be able to get the bearing lubed with spray in the place that it needs to be to quite down a bearing.

Usually the final repair will be replacement of it. Errrrrr I mean the fan motor!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I was going over all the items that I thought it could be. Since it is under warranty, it seems like a trip to the dealer is in order.
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Can you say Replacement???????