Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

2009 34' SO Classic
Houston , Texas
Can't get Furnace to turn on

Hello all, I'm very new to the Airstream world, so I'm sorry if this has a thread somewhere already.

I have recently bought a 2009 Classic Limited 34' with slide out, and I can't get my furnace to turn on. I switched the thermostat to Furnace and turned the temp up higher than the ambient temp, and got nothing - nothing clicks, blows or otherwise makes any kind of noise or movement. After doing a search here I opened up the panel to check the board, but, while there is a little light attached, it never comes on at all.

I feel like this probably means there is no power to the furnace, or maybe its a bad board? I've checked the fuse box and breaker box and nothing seems to be tripped. I clicked the reset switch wired in the panel, and got nothing, and I can't find any wires that are loose or disconnected.

My troubleshooting ability is at an end, and I'm just not sure where to go from here. It's very possible that I just don't know what to look at or that I'm missing something obvious.

I'd be grateful for any help!
Chelsdraeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I would start with a volt/Ohm meter to see if you are indeed getting power through the breaker. You might have a bad breaker.

Are you hooked up to shore power? If not possibly batteries are not charged to power the furnace.

Good Luck. Keep checking here I am sure others will chime in. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
On my '99 there's a small rocker switch on the motor. Open outside panel to access this 15amp breaker. I hope this works for you. Have you registered your trailer on the slide out thread? You have a rare unique trailer...green with envy. Almost forgot...Welcome to the forum Chelsdreah.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Best guess is that you have lost 12V somewhere in the system. A multimeter and some careful wire tracing is likely the only way to sort it out. Other than that you are stuck searching for random inline fuses and replacing each one (blown fuses are not always obviously blown).

Does everything else on the trailer work ok? If so that eliminates some other things. If not then it might speed up the troubleshot process.

More or less:

The furnace should try to pull propane and light up. If it does not light, it should toss an error code saying it did not fire up. All of that runs on 12V and with no power, you get no indicators.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I had a similar problem with my first AS, a 2000 Safari. After consulting the wiring scheme probably a dozen times, and opening the outside furnace panel, looking for a switch, I opened the second panel on the outside furnace cube, and there it was a black switch. I moved it to the opposite position, and viola, the furnace worked. I never used the switch after that, leaving it in the on position.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I had a problem with my furnace not lighting last weekend. Granted my trailer is newer but I'm sure the furnace is problem similar. Anyway, turns out the gas was off, and when I turned it on - nothing. So I left it alone for a bit and voila it lit. I believe it has a timeout for safety on the burner if it fails to light after several attempts. I guess before you get into too much trouble shooting it might be good to just check the easy stuff first. In most things, unless there is a good reason to believe an event such as a maintenance action, accident, or some other non-routine thing has occurred, the probability of a break in a wire is not likely. More likely an igniter board or switch or something like that is the cause. Good luck and welcome!
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Is your control t-stat a Duo-Therm 4 button or 5 button? If its the 4 button those are known to go bad with age and it affects only the furnace operation. Second issue is a bad control board located inside the furnace. Lack of use and age are both factors. Obviously my AS is older but replacing both the t-stat and control board fixed my problems. The previous owner never used the furnace, only the electric heat in the roof units.

Hope this helps.......as I write this I am warm and cozy in the AS while the first snow of season in WV is ongoing.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Troubleshooting - Keep it Simple to Start -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsdraeh View Post
Hello all, I'm very new to the Airstream world, so I'm sorry if this has a thread somewhere already.

I have recently bought a 2009 Classic Limited 34' with slide out, and I can't get my furnace to turn on. I switched the thermostat to Furnace and turned the temp up higher than the ambient temp, and got nothing - nothing clicks, blows or otherwise makes any kind of noise or movement. After doing a search here I opened up the panel to check the board, but, while there is a little light attached, it never comes on at all.

I feel like this probably means there is no power to the furnace, or maybe its a bad board? I've checked the fuse box and breaker box and nothing seems to be tripped. I clicked the reset switch wired in the panel, and got nothing, and I can't find any wires that are loose or disconnected.

My troubleshooting ability is at an end, and I'm just not sure where to go from here. It's very possible that I just don't know what to look at or that I'm missing something obvious.

Welcome to the Forums! Congratulations on the Slide-Out (S/O)...we've got a little group for S/O Owners and we're always looking for new S/O owners to join us. Check us out on this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...159166-42.html

On to business of the Furnace that won't run. We've got a 2008 Classic S/O and ran into the exact same issue last month. No fire on the furnace...lot's of good suggestions here that have already been made.

Keep it simple to start...make sure you've got propane and it's on at the tanks and regulators...do the other gas appliances run and fire? There could be a "burp" in the line that caused your initial issue. Run the other appliances to work through the "burp".

Power...you need that to run the furnace...12volts...are the batteries good? Is there a 12v breaker off...

Once you've got the gas and power ok...open your furnace up outside...2 screws holding the cover on...inside a secondary plastic door provides some weather proofing to the board, motor and fans...

Usually nestled onto the exterior of the motor is a small rocker switch with 2 positions...Off and the other side is unmarked On... Cycle the switch to the off and on positions. Turn on the thermostat in the trailer set it to the Furnace mode and make sure the set point is high...

This should get the furnace an attempt at running...the fans should start and run purging the burner manifold...next the gas valve should open and then the burner should fire...there are several safeties in there to stop operation should one of those events not take place.

There are several good You-Tube videos out there on troubleshooting the Atwood and RV Furnaces...this all sounds more complex than it really is...

Again welcome to the forum, hope this helps get things going for you. Start with the simple stuff and go deeper as necessary.

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Beachville , Ontario
can't get furnace to turn on

There is a thermostat reset that I have had to use. Check your owners manual for how your's works.

I recently had a problem where the furnace tried to start and wouldn't and levelling the trailer better did the trick.
Kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I had the same problem with my '06. Open up the outside door and wiggle the wires with the furnace on. I had a Scotch Brite 3-way connecter that was intermittent. I removed all of them and use blue butt connectors, doubling the small wire, and stuffing in two on the other end. Viola, no more failures. Good luck.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi View Post
There is a thermostat reset that I have had to use. Check your owners manual for how your's works.

I recently had a problem where the furnace tried to start and wouldn't and levelling the trailer better did the trick.
Make sure the CCC 2 thermostat is in the OFF mode.
Simultaneously press the MODE and ZONE buttons. The LCD will display “IniT” and all available zones.
Release the MODE and ZONE buttons.
Press the ON/OFF button to exit system set up.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #12
New 2019 Owner

2019 16' Sport
Clearwater , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsdraeh View Post

If it's a Dometic furnace call them up *(800) 544-4881‬ and see if they think the problem is a new board. *‬They can send one out and they are not too difficult to install. IF that is the problem as it was with my Dometic water heater, seems similar diagnostics. They sent me the board in a few days and was super easy to install. They seemed to know it was a board issue on a brand new heater, must be a common problem. I was under warranty but could be approx. $200.
stewartprice is offline   Reply With Quote