Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
West Monroe , Louisiana
Buyer Beware, Bad A/C installation

I paid $450 for a slightly used Coleman low profile heater/air conditioning unit. I was very excited and thought I was getting a great deal. I was wrong! The RV Dealership that I purchased the unit from had no idea how to work on an Airstream. I was given the run around for a few weeks, and then this terrible installation job. They actually pried the previous unit's pan off of the roof with a flat head screw driver! I was appalled. I emailed the dealership these images and waited a week for a response. After no return phone call I contacted them myself. They put me on speakerphone and proceeded to explain how I could fix this myself. If you are in the market for something like this, get it all in writing. I was told they would, "repurpose" my pan, what a lie.

PS: If you look closely you can see the wood blocks that they used to stabilize this a/c. Very Professional!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3457.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	602.2 KB
ID:	130219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3459.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	630.5 KB
ID:	130220  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3461.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	524.1 KB
ID:	130221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3463.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	130222  

barender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Which dealer was it?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Also, the cover is black which will absorb sunlight and turn it into heat like crazy - drastically cutting the efficiency of this AC unit. In getting your installation fixed, I'd strongly recommend getting the cover sprayed silver to match the Airstream, with the top sprayed white.

I'd also have a big red number painted on the AC, so it is visible from the air and traffic cams, so if your AC is ever stolen, they'll know to look for the trailer with the "73" painted on the roof

(Hey, don't everyone do this, or too many innocent people will get pulled over! Gah, ruining my own plan for identifiability by telling everyone!)
Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Also, the cover is black which will absorb sunlight and turn it into heat like crazy - drastically cutting the efficiency of this AC unit. In getting your installation fixed, I'd strongly recommend getting the cover sprayed silver to match the Airstream, with the top sprayed white.

I'd also have a big red number painted on the AC, so it is visible from the air and traffic cams, so if your AC is ever stolen, they'll know to look for the trailer with the "73" painted on the roof

(Hey, don't everyone do this, or too many innocent people will get pulled over! Gah, ruining my own plan for identifiability by telling everyone!)
I have seen WBCCI numbers in large sizes on the roof before...

I suspect that if you used any large numbers or letters it would make it a bit more visible from the air, which could be a good thing or a bad thing...if you get caught speeding.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
...........I'd also have a big red number painted on the AC, so it is visible from the air and traffic cams, so if your AC is ever stolen, they'll know to look for the trailer with the "73" painted on the roof ..........
What?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
West Monroe , Louisiana
Dwight,

The Dealer was "Clays RV". It rained here this weekend and I noticed a LOT of new water leaks. I am not happy with this at all. I am going to do a little poking around today to see if they are coming for the botched a/c job.

Dave Park,

I appreciate the response, and I do like the idea of painting the until silver and white. I will have to hold off on that project for now though. I've got my hands full already.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
West Monroe , Louisiana
Does anyone have any ideas for how I could get a drip pan for this coleman unit? I am very unhappy with the look of this and I really do not like the condensation dripping down the side of my camper.