Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
RoamingPo8t

1962 19' Globetrotter
VIENNA , VA
Best AC solution for 1962 Globetrotter?

Hi Airstreamers! We bought a 19' Globetrotter on eBay, and it is located on the west coast right now. I need to get it flatbedded over to the greater DC area, and start working on updating to make it camp ready for March. The seller said this was a barn find, quite solid with floor and frames. All original appliances were working when I had it inspected by Mr. Taylor of Shiny Shacks, except the fridge that didn't get cold.

We plan to modernized most of the interiors after using it a few times. Starting next March, we will do short weekend trips to figure out the best way forward for us for longer trips. I would like to install an AC to get me thru the summer heat and humidity. We do plan to replace the axel, maybe also replace the original black water tank due to its age. Not willing to take chances for the leak.

As for the AC, there are 3 schools of thought: 1) A rooftop unit. Can anyone recommend a make/model that also has a heat pump option? I'd like to have a 2nd option of heating by electricity, in addition to the existing propane heater that is still working; Do I need to reinforce the trailer roof structure? So far some says yes and others says no; 2) a mini-split system. This will take up some interior cabinet space, and where would be the best place to mount the outside unit? 3) just use a portable AC unit for the 1st year, and install an outlet on the trailer's shell to let out the hot air. I would like to hear what you think?

Also, anybody knows a good place/guy to have the AC installed near the DC area, please send your recommendations! I need to start calling soon... Thanks so much!
roamingpo8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

Sorry this post is so late. I just now found it.

So glad you are new owners to a 62 GT. I hope you may now be in possession of it and that you are happy with your eBay purchase.

I am very much opposed to roof top AC units. They ruin the looks, particularly of vintage Airatreams, and they are very noisy, inefficient and use way too much power especially when starting up.

The best solution is a minisplit if you can mount the compressor on the tongue and can find an acceptable location for the air handler inside. This unit will both heat and cool your GT and the power consumption is only about 1,200 watts maximum. This power consumption is low enough so that operation using lithium batteries is feasible or it can easily be powered by a 2,000 watt generator.

I have started an installation on our 95 34’ but have gotten side tracked on some house renovation projects.

The easiest solution is to install a small window unit only when you need it. This is what we have done in our Tradewind and it works great. It is reasonably quiet, actually quieter than ducted AC, and is very efficient drawing only about 600 watts. We can operate this using only our lithium batteries or a small 1,000 watt generator. I have a thread on the installation about 5 years ago.

You may want to move this thread to the Air Conditioner section under Interior Renovations.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	385080Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	385081
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Dan has listed about the only options you have. I love mini splits when installed where they’re as inconspicuous as possible. Problem is a 19’ trailer. The interior placement of the air handler takes up a lot of space. Especially with the curvature of the inside walls. Luckily in our 22’ FC, we had enough room under the rear bed to place the AH. Maybe a removable window unit? It shouldn’t take many BTUs to cool 140 square feet. Good luck and keep us posted.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I would be a little concerned about using the propane furnace even though it may still work. It is 58 years old and may have a hole in the heat exchanger which would allow carbon monoxide into the interior. My Tradewind furnace worked but the fan used a lot of battery, about 6 amps. I installed a new smaller furnace where the fan only needs 1.8 amps.

If you have shore power you could use 1 or 2 small 1,500 watt electric heaters.

If you install a mini split it will heat your GT. It will use about 1,200 watts of power but will provide about 3,600 watts of heat. The coefficient of performance is about 3. Unlike a regular heat pump that uses electric resistance heaters to provide heat at low temperatures, the mini split will heat down to -13 F.

Dan
Old 03-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Hi Touring Dan, what is this 'mini split' that you refer to? Is it part heater, part AC? Do you have information and or pictures of one installed?

Thanks so much in advance,
Alcinda
awolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
What did you end up doing? We are investigating options as well for a 66 Caravel.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolff View Post
Hi Touring Dan, what is this 'mini split' that you refer to? Is it part heater, part AC? Do you have information and or pictures of one installed?

Thanks so much in advance,
Alcinda
I’m not Dan, but he does know ACs. A mini split is a heating/cooling system with an exterior condenser and indoor air handler connected by a line set. They’re designed to acclimate small spaces. I’ve known several Airstream owners that have installed them. They’re extremely quiet and efficient. We also installed one in our 55. So far, so good. Take care.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Hi there, well that sounds very interesting! I did a google search on mini split and found many options. May I ask what you used? My Caravel is only 15ft x 7ft of area, so I would think the smallest one they make would be good.

What brand did you use?

Thanks in advance,
Alcinda
Old 03-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Alcinda, we went with the LG 12,000 BTU 120vac. We have approximately 150 sq. ft. We went large because Airstreams are challenging to cool in super hot temps, not difficult to heat in cold temps. We chose the LG because of the dimensions of both the condenser and air handler so we could place both where we envisioned. We converted it to a concealed ducted system. Minis do have ducted units but are 220vac. We ducted the system mainly to cool from the top down with registers that point to the front, rear and from side to side. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My buddy has installed a mini split in his '63 Globetrotter directly above the forward streetside window. Its worked out really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GlobeT Minisplit (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	391950  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingpo8t View Post
As for the AC, there are 3 schools of thought: 1) A rooftop unit. Can anyone recommend a make/model that also has a heat pump option? I'd like to have a 2nd option of heating by electricity, in addition to the existing propane heater that is still working; Do I need to reinforce the trailer roof structure? So far some says yes and others says no; 2) a mini-split system. This will take up some interior cabinet space, and where would be the best place to mount the outside unit? 3) just use a portable AC unit for the 1st year, and install an outlet on the trailer's shell to let out the hot air.

Your 19 footer is a beautiful, useful size. We have enjoyed our 17' Bambi II very much.

I am in the camp that does not like the big, fat marshmallow AC units on the roof of a vintage Airstream.

At first we used a portable room AC unit that was placed where the furnace had been and we vented it out the same location as the original furnace vent with its exhaust duct hose connected to a custom-made boot. When that unit got too clunky and noisy (presumably because it sat in the rear of the trailer and bounced around a lot on the highway...besides, we had bought it used) we were left without an AC unit again.

I had always heard about and liked the idea of a removable window unit...and our Florida trip was coming up. A neighbor had just put a window unit on the curb...which worked fine, but he was getting central air installed. We cleaned it up and worked out the details of installation (which amounted to dry fitting it on the front window frame, creating an aluminum "arm" that extended from the window frame to the LP gas tank hold down for support, building a support frame that sat inside the window frame at the top of the AC unit to hold it in place, and creating a plastic piece to fill in the height above it.

We can install this unit in about 5 minutes and it keeps the little trailer plenty cool. Not bad for free.

For our '61 TradeWind, we intend to install a casement AC unit where the furnace was, vent it out the sidewall, and cut intake vents in the floor with ducts to bring that air in. It's been done in the Airstream world before. It will be nice to not have to set up the unit when we want to use it or haul it in the back of the tow vehicle.

Lots of options for the creative among us.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190615_141354125_HDR.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	576.4 KB
ID:	391956   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	391957  

Name:	IMG_4615.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	391958  
Old 03-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Hi Bubba and HiHoSilver, this is very intriguing indeed. I really like the idea of not mounting the big A/C on the roof yet having A/C in the unit.

I have 105 sq ft so I'm looking for the smallest unit I can find to fit inside. Thank you HiHo for the picture!

Did you mount the condenser part outside or somewhere inside with it vented to the outside? More pictures of how you mounted both components would be greatly appreciated if possible.

Thanks!
Alcinda
Old 03-29-2021, 06:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Maybe Vernon can expand on where his buddy mounted the condenser. I would think on the tongue like we did. I show the way we mounted ours starting on Post #494 of our reno thread.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Tongue mounted. I ran some draw tests, it peaked at 760W. A Honda 2000 never comes off of Eco mode when its running and its absolutely silent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FRNT Split (2).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	391964  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Vernon, good to know about the draw. We recently had an unprecedented ice storm and ran our mini off a generator. We had no time to research. But the 3400 ran the mini on heat well. Thanks
Old 03-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the pictures and the advice. The research will continue! Happy Trails!
Alcinda
Old 03-31-2021, 12:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by awolff View Post
Hi Bubba and HiHoSilver, this is very intriguing indeed. I really like the idea of not mounting the big A/C on the roof yet having A/C in the unit.

I have 105 sq ft so I'm looking for the smallest unit I can find to fit inside. Thank you HiHo for the picture!

I agree that the minisplit installation in the 63 Globetrotter is first class.

As far as size goes, the dimensions of the indoor unit and the outdoor unit are the same whether the cooling size is 12,000 btu/hr or 9,000 btu/hr. Therefore I would go with the larger size so you can cool down the interior quicker.

I would also go with the Cooper & Hunter brand as the warranty seems to be better. I believe that Cooper & Hunter make numerous units that are rebranded Pioneer, Senville, etc.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	392079
Old 03-31-2021, 01:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I agree that the minisplit installation in the 63 Globetrotter is first class.

As far as size goes, the dimensions of the indoor unit and the outdoor unit are the same whether the cooling size is 12,000 btu/hr or 9,000 btu/hr. Therefore I would go with the larger size so you can cool down the interior quoicker.

I would also go with the Cooper & Hunter brand as the warranty seems to be better. I believe that Cooper & Hunter make numerous units that are rebranded Pioneer, Senville, etc.

DanAttachment 392079
Dan, do you think the unit manufacturer would still warrant the unit installed in a travel trailer? We were wondering about that. Thanks
Old 03-31-2021, 03:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Dan, do you think the unit manufacturer would still warrant the unit installed in a travel trailer? We were wondering about that. Thanks

Bubba- I don’t see why not. I filled out the warranty information for my installation, even though it is not installed yet [emoji16], and mainly what they required was where and when you purchased it, the address where it was installed (we keep our Airstream here at the house) and the license # of my installer friend.

The warranty is 5 yr parts, 7 yr compressor. It is not something I am too concerned about since the usage factor won’t be high and the cost was relatively low.

Dan
Old 03-31-2021, 03:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Thanks

Tags