Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2002, 05:31 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
thermax

OK Craig, we will tear the unit apart this weekend, take some pictures, and post them for you. Thanks again for all your trouble.
Brouck
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 10:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Brouck,
Thank you. It will give me a better idea since I do not have a schematic drawing of the unit innerds.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 05:45 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thermax 326

Craig, I have attempted to attach a pic of the thermocouple. Unit demensions are 18 3/4 x 12 3/4 x 4 inches. Let me know if you need more info.
Brouck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pa270007.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	780  
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Brouck,
I'll tear into it this evening and compare the parts.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 11-04-2002, 06:20 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

I have a 27-foot International Overlander and took the original forced-air heater out years ago, now using the space for kitchen utensils.

For heat, I installed two 6,000 BTU catalytic heaters, both in the front. I paid about $150 apiece to JC Whitney. I use a small, portable 12-volt fan sitting on top of the stove area to move heat from the front to the back, when needed. I have used this setup in below freezing weather. It keeps the interior of the coach warm. Of course, the rear is not as warm as the front, but I look at it as a north and a south. Choose the area you are most comfortable in. With this setup, there is no issue of interior water lines freezing. But, the holding tank in the rear needs protection, or emptied.

The cataytic heaters put 100% of the heat inside the trailer. One must be careful to have some ventilation (with my old unit, that's no problem). I keep a propane and fire alarm on at all times. I also have a CO detector on.

I might note that on the wall space above one of my units, (the other unit does not have any wall above it...that's the one with the fan on the stovetop) I found it necessary to install a two-foot by two-foot fire-resistant pad because the wood got too hot to touch. I used it without the pad for a while, but I don't think it's a good idea to let the wood get that hot. I don't know about the theory of the catalytic heater only heating objects that are in front of the radiated area, but I do know that the area immediately above the heater (like the aforementioned wall space) gets really hot from what I assume is the rising hot air. I can't imagine what else it could be.

I also have a 1500-watt electric heater for when 120-volt AC is available. That goes in the back, usually in the bathroom pointed to the twin bed sleeping area.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Airstreamer67,
I have a Wave 6 (6000 BTU) in the front area of my 31' Excella 500. This keeps the front area nice and warm. I also have a Coleman propane catalytic protable connected to an 11 lb. tank that I can put near the rear bathroom area to warm it or help with the middle bed area. The www.rvsolarelectric.com site sells Wave 3 and Wave 6 heaters in addition to all parts for splicing into the gas system to mount a portable Wave with legs on it. A swivel LP connection plugs into an outlet mounted in the floor and a rubber hose goes to the Wave unit. This seems like a viable option if you can't mount a catalytic on the wall. They also mention that you can pick up a wire swivel mount that lets you "peel" the unit away from the wall and point it down the hallway. I've been wondering where this type of mount could be found?

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 11-05-2002, 10:25 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Craig, I've been really pleased with the efficiency of the catalytic heaters. I would venture to say they are as efficient as one can get. A tank of propane lasts a long time with these units, and they don't draw any electric current unless a detached ventilation fan is used, as I noted above.

Of course, as with any other heating system, they have to be used with care.

Thanks for the info on the portable units. These also would be useful at home when the power goes out.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 05:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Unhappy Therm'x

Brouck,
I am comparing the picture of your thermocouple and mine. I hate to say it but they are different. I wish I could have been of some help. If no one else on the board has a spare around, what about checking Colaws Salvage in the vendor section. It is a long shot and I think you probably would be better off buying a new Wave 6. Did you see the Wave 8 for sale on the forum?

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #29
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--Considering installing a catalytic heater in my A/S. Have read most of the threads and it looks like Olympian Wave 3 thru 8 are the units of choice. When I go to the big box stores in the fall they all sell similiar catalytic heaters, with similiar outputs, for a lot less money. To me they look the same. All of these units state "Not For RV Use". Can anyone tell me why?? I know this is an old thread, but thought it better to ask my question here, rather than start another similiar thread.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
same question

hi- would like to revive Frank's question, and also ask there is any merit to buying one of the many portable cat heaters on ebay, like the ones that work on white gas? Looks like coleman has many models, wondered if they would be remotely safe for daytime use only, just to get the chill off in the morning.?
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #31
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
hi- would like to revive Frank's question, and also ask there is any merit to buying one of the many portable cat heaters on ebay, like the ones that work on white gas? Looks like coleman has many models, wondered if they would be remotely safe for daytime use only, just to get the chill off in the morning.?
I am not sure about Franks question, never looked at the Cats at Wally World.
tphan ~ we have a Therm'x Cat in our Trade Wind and like it alot. It's mounted next to the sink by the sofa. We will use it on chilly mornings.As far as a portable, why go with white gas? Something else to carry and spill. We had a small coleman space heater that we used when we had a popup. It used a disposable propane bottle and burned very clean. If I was going to get a portable I would go with the propane just because of the spill factor.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote