Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Atwood fires once, twice, then done.

2020 Globetrotter with an ongoing issue. When the thermostat calls for heat, the fan kicks on, the unit fires and all is good coming up to temp. Unit shuts off at temp. Generally, the second cycle is also successful. However, third cycle rarely fires. Fan runs for a bit and then unit shuts off due to lack of flame. Sail switch is clean, burner assembly is clean and igniters and sensor are gapped correctly. LP seems fine, all other appliances work. Hard to sleep when you are anxious waiting for the unit to shut off, plunging the interior temp into the low 50s. What else is there to troubleshoot? Any help is appreciated.
extranrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
TrvlTin

2023 30' Globetrotter
Boulder , Colorado
Just a thought? I had terrible trouble with furnace short cycling here in boulder.. in the colder temps. I changed and checked regulator. And gas pressure. But in the end seemed like if I but small electric blanket over regulator everything was fine.
Propane in the cold and at altitude is an issue for larger btu furnace.
Come June I could go anywhere here in the mountains. But working in my garage before hand need heat on the regulator and tank if you can. Propane blankets our made just for this problem. An make sure when running test you turn thermostat way up like 80.
Any way just a thought..✌️
TrvlngTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
I ordered a replacement control board as well as a new sail switch. Swapped out the board, same symptoms. Fired once and filed on the second attempt. Put the original board back in, and replaced the sail switch. Fired once, twice, three times...12 times in a row.

I don't understand a switch that works only intermittently, but there was clearly something wrong with the original sail switch. Replacement seems to have solved the problem. It will be nice to be able to sleep through the night with heat...
extranrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Just some advice from an Airstream owner of 19 years .... There will always be problems with your heating system for as long as you remain an owner of your Airstream or any RV for that matter. Whether it's the sail switch, regulator, circuit board, fan motor, propane tanks or a host of other heating system problems, your RV will never be problem free. Make certain you always carry sleeping bags in your unit when RVing. Now, I've got to go, I'm currently camping on the Idaho - Montana border with the very same problem and I'm on my way to Missoula to purchase a new sail switch ...
Hannibal01 is offline   Reply With Quote