Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2004, 05:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Running Armstrong AC on generator

I have a 72 27' International with original Armstrong Airconditioner and have a few questions.

What size generator would I need to run the AC. I know when my unit starts it really pulls a lot of AMPS. I would prefer to use small honda's would two of the 2000's together be enough?

What if I replace the AC with a new. Anyone running a AC on a single 2000 honda?

While my AC currently works, I need a shroud and want to be able to run the AC from a generator and do not want to put more money in the Armstrong AC if I will need a huge generator to run. I really want a portable generator like the Honda since I tow with a full size van and would probably need to store generator(s) in the Van.

Steve
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
One little, two little ...

Without data sheet on Armstrong AC unit, it's hard to tell if load will exceed capacity of Honda Eu2000 generator, but odds are huge it will..

Most of 11K to 15K BTU AC units have both "startup" and steady load ratings, and higher startup load in amps is necessary to get compressor started. It is usually in range of 20 to 25 amps... A 20 Amp load at 110V is approx 2200 watts, and most trailers siphon off some of the 110V power in the univolt/transformer for 12V and battery charging, leaving less than you started with available for AC.. Honda (or similar) 2KW generators are designed to put out peak of 2000 watts for brief periods, but no more, and will trip at 2100 or 2200 required. They're really happ and efficient putting out 1500 or 1600 watts. There are several threads on website of happy owners who buy 2 of Honda EU2000's, and connect them in parallel, rather than use big 3500 watt generator which very few of us can muscle in or out of a van or Suburban.. (Most weigh over 135 pounds, plus gasoline)...

Lots of other threads warn of attempting to run AC compressors on insufficient wattage and damaging unit or destroying it... This can happen as well by stringing lightweight extension cord from house to trailer in back or side yard... (I've melted a pair of orange outdoor cords doing this when younger and less educated.. say in 1980's..)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Loechli

Usually, there are other electrical circuits that are also consuming some power.

Because of that, it is wise to use a 4000 watt generator, for a number of reasons.

Other circuits will be on, such as the univolt, perhaps a radio or TV, as well as some lights.

To get long term "mileage" out of any generator, they should not be loaded up to more than 80 percent of their output.

Because of the additional loads, an adequate amount of starting currect would still be available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
So will two Honda 2000's be sufficient to run the original Armstrong Air on the trailer?
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Steve: We've run the original Armstrong in our '72 with a 5000W generator. It will sometimes trip the breaker if the Gen is in 'economy mode' so I don't run it that way. It has no problem otherwise. I know it takes more than 15amps startup load, because it will trip a 15amp breaker. Beyond that, I can't help much practically speaking. There are others here who've used the two Honda 2000's with great success. I would say that you'd be pleased with this setup. There's also a Yamaha 3000 Watt that has a boost capability by taking a little energy from the battery used for startup. I've read on other forums of some people using this with their ACs but had to change the starting capacitors to the prevent overloading it. Like Andy said, though, more cushion is probably a good idea.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Some folks have been able to run an AC with one Honda 2000si - at sea level and with everything just right and with the AC hooked directly to the genset.

A pair of Honda 2000si with the proper parallel wiring seems to be able to conveniently run just about any single RV A/C.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli
I have a 72 27' International with original Armstrong Airconditioner and have a few questions.

What size generator would I need to run the AC. I know when my unit starts it really pulls a lot of AMPS. I would prefer to use small honda's would two of the 2000's together be enough?

What if I replace the AC with a new. Anyone running a AC on a single 2000 honda?

Steve
Steve,
A single EU2000i will not run the A/C on your trailer. I tried.....
2 of them will, with power to spare once the A/C has started and the compressor is going.
I own one of those, and will buy another one day, if I find I need A/C. So far, not.
The EU2000i is very quiet, and very fuel efficient. I chain mine to the bumper or tongue, and can barely hear it inside the trailer. They're also very easy to lift and stow, like a fat suitcase, perhaps.
I recommend 2 EU2000's for your needs.