Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
pinedale , Wyoming
armstrong ac condensor fan

I have a 71 excella with a siezed condenser fan motor, I found replacement parts online but the motor was 290.00 and the fan blade was 129.00.
my armstrong ac model# is tr21-12.

If anyone knows a good vendor to buy from it would be greatly appreciated.
not that I really need air here in wyoming but I like to have things working.
jdnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I am shocked at those prices too.
Years back someone on here posted some crossover info for Armstrong components. Actually I think there have been several threads that addressed different components.
Now finding those posts in this swamp of rhetoric and convoluted thread titles among the half a million plus posts aint gonna be much fun. That is if they still remain and if my memory serves me correctly...which it doesn't always.
Seems that Grangier or some such had an acceptable fan replacement, that maybe you'd have to cut (shorten) the shaft or something.
As for the fan blade my thinking is that there must be something out there that would suffice as replacement not necessarily the exact. What is wrong with your blade?
Is it encircled with ring type?
Also often folks replace their old Armstrongs, sadly they usually toss them to the ground. but maybe that will be a source for the blade at least.
Also check with Colaws which someone else will have to furnish you the address of.
Good luck.
Im like you, I want it in working order even if I don't often use it.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I had the same trouble with our condenser fan (74 Sovereign). What I wound up doing is removing the motor from the a/c unit, removing the bolts that hold the assembly together, replacing the disintegrated thrust washer at the bottom that caused the motor to drop too low, causing the bind, reassembled the motor using lengths of allthread and nuts top and bottom, and replaced the motor in the a/c unit.
We've been living in the trailer since, with the a/c going almost daily, with no further trouble. a 50 cent washer, a bag of nuts for $.99, and a stick of allthread for $6 was much cheaper than a new fan motor.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #4

1972 31' Sovereign
pinedale , Wyoming
Quote:
I had the same trouble with our condenser fan (74 Sovereign). What I wound up doing is removing the motor from the a/c unit, removing the bolts that hold the assembly together, replacing the disintegrated thrust washer at the bottom that caused the motor to drop too low, causing the bind, reassembled the motor using lengths of allthread and nuts top and bottom, and replaced the motor in

that is worth a try, sounds like the same problem I'm having
jdnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
I have an Armstrong TR 21 12 on my 27 ft 1972 international does my unit use the same thrust washer? I have lube shaft on the condenser fan and in will spin well for a few hours then stiffen up again and shut down the unit again. Any help on fixing or part number of a replacement fan from some where like granger would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I had the same trouble with our condenser fan (74 Sovereign). What I wound up doing is removing the motor from the a/c unit, removing the bolts that hold the assembly together, replacing the disintegrated thrust washer at the bottom that caused the motor to drop too low, causing the bind, reassembled the motor using lengths of allthread and nuts top and bottom, and replaced the motor in the a/c unit.
We've been living in the trailer since, with the a/c going almost daily, with no further trouble. a 50 cent washer, a bag of nuts for $.99, and a stick of allthread for $6 was much cheaper than a new fan motor.
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Bump any one else have this issue
Old 06-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
jdnelson

This is a good learning experience for me. There is a commercial motor service facility that has been around here for decades. I know they have a vast selection of fans and squirrel cage blowers as well a small motors that these units use.
If you could furnish me with some details maybe I can do you some good.
Manufacturers part numbers would be to much to hope for, but it would make life easy.
I need the diameter and length of the motor.
I need the speed (evaporator motor is multispeed) of your motor and the direction of rotation.
I need the length of the fan shaft and diameter.
I need the diameter of the fan and number of blades.
With this information I can check to see if he has anything available or that he can get for a reasonable price.
This company was very valuable in supplying me parts to get my daughters Armstrong going again.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
I am still on vacation I will plan to take motor of tomorrow. Thanks for the offer beginner

Any one else replace condenser motor on this vintage Armstrong
If I did decide to replace is the low profile penguine a straight forward swap? Does it use same size hole? Amy other gotchas in upgrading to a 15000 penguin
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Anyone have a current part number for a replacement blower motor for a armstrong ac model# is tr21-12. My current GE blower fan model number is 5KCP39EG9396S.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli View Post
Anyone have a current part number for a replacement blower motor for a armstrong ac model# is tr21-12. My current GE blower fan model number is 5KCP39EG9396S.
Forums member jmpratt recently rebuilt his Armstrong TAC-110-1 and posted a lot of detail about it in the thread I linked, including the fan motor he used and what you'd need to use a different fan motor if you can't find the direct replacement.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Thanks for the link.

I had already seen this very detailed post,
His AC is one generation older than mine and is quite different, still looking for someone that has found a replacement 2 speed blower motor for a armstrong TR 21-12

Steve