Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Armstrong A/C Removal

I am doing a full strip out of the interior of my 1966 Safari. It has an Armstrong Air Conditioner, roof mounted. It appears to be original. I am unable to remove the last piece of interior skin due to the manner of installation. It looks as if they drilled thru the roof and ran the copper tubes through the hole and into the cooling unit. It is the same way with the fan shaft. Do I cut the ceiling panel to remove it or do I cut the copper tubes coming into the cooling unit? I will be replacing the a/c with a new Carrier heat pump but there may be some resale value for the Armstrong. I made 250.00 dollars for a powered Hehr vent that will go to pay for my new water heater. Is there a special way to remove the Armstrong A/C to make it more useful to someone wanting to use it in a restoration. Is there someway to remove it with out cutting the copper lines? Excuse the mold on the ceiling, this is one of the reasons I am tearing out all of this old stuff. Please help!

NUTZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fanshaft.1.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	71543   Click image for larger version

Name:	freon lines.1.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	71544  

Click image for larger version

Name:	nameplate.1.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	71545  
Old 11-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
31 views but no replies? Hasn't anyone ever removed one of these before?

NUTZ
Old 11-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Amelia Ct Hse , Virginia
Got me??!! I replaced the unit on my 65 Safari and it didn't look anything light that. I just unbolted the unit and slid it off the top. and the carrier Air-v just bolted on through the 14x14 roof opening. I did have a piece of aluminum (2'x3'??) on top under the AC that I removed before installing the Carrier. If you cut the pipes you may have a real mess on your hands from the coolant. so I would "try to" neatly cut the panel. Good luck!!!
nypatnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Go to advanced search and type in Armstrong Bay Breeze and search within Air Conditioners.....you will find just about everything you want to know about the old Bay Breezes.

I have the same trailer as you and was going to scrap mine and put a new one on but have since decided to restore mine. I am glad I made the decision because it will keep the integrity of the original design of the trailer.

There is one particular post that shows how to cut the hole and repair your roof. You may want to check with a refrigeration person before cutting the tubes just to be sure you are not dealing with freon in any way.

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
NUTZ,

Yep the Armstrong is mounted after the ceiling is in. You will have to have the freon removed and then cut the lines. I removed the one in my first trailer. It is a bear to get out. I plan on keeping the one in my current trailer since you can get any part you need for them. I love how the take the humidity out of the air!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey Nutz,

Are you certain the Armstrong can't be salvaged? I know the lure of a shiny new A/C with fancy options like the heat pump is strong, but from what I have read on these Forums about a million times, the Armstrong's run forever if you can maintain them.

And although I have a brand new low-profile Carrier AirV, I've heard from many RV friends that the newer A/C units really are just completely disposable. and when they die you're outta luck, whether it's 2 years or 10 years down the road. I've heard that pretty much across all brands, although I know that some people prefer various brands over others.

Just a thought. Other than that, I have no knowledge of your particular unit's installatation, since mine was a Coleman and it unbolted and came off as easily as the new one went in-- but as always I'm wishing you luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote