Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Malta , New York
Armstrong A/C help 1965 Ambassador

I am trying to figure out if my original Armstrong A/C is still good or not in my 1965 Ambassador.. Looks brand new from inside trailer but does have cracks in outside cover and does allow water to leak into the trailer I have it covered by a tarp to keep the rain out. I am told that whatever I do I should repair it unless the compressor is bad. It doesn't run as far as I can tell so I'm not sure if it is a keeper??? Anyone have advice on what I should be doing to diagnose???? Doesn't turn on.......maybe the wall thermostat doesn't work anymore?? Just guessing. thanks.
Airstreamdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My '74 has an Armstrong, it must be similar to yours. There is no external thermostat but there is one one the control panel. It has 4 push buttons "OFF" "BLOWER ONLY" "LOW COOL" and "HIGH COOL". The first thing is to make sure you have power. If not check the circuit breaker in your power panel; there should be a separate one for the AC. Make sure you have a 30 amp power source available and the appropriate size umbilical cord. Once you determine you have power push the blower only button and see what happens. If that works try the "LOW COOL" mode, turn it on and wait a few minutes for the thing to start to cool the air. If you turn it off in the "COOL" mode wait at least 3 minutes before starting it again. You could ruin a perfectly good compressor by not waiting.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Want to ruin an A/C?

Another way to ruin an air conditioner is to not use it. If they set unused for periods of time seals an other things deteriorate. If it is possible; run the unit at least 30 minutes every month. It use to be that automotive A/C's failed a lot because no one would turn them on in the cooler weather. Now most are tied into the "defroster" and get used frequently throughoput the winter months. Far fewer failures.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags