Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Fredericksburg , VA
Armstrong 14 Air Conditioner To Coleman Mach 15

Armstrong 14 quit working. I should have gone up on top and I would have found a wire burnt into. Instead, I had someone else repair it. Was scheduled to have a new Coleman Mach15 installed at Airstream but it was taking over a month to get in. Had the same RV repairman that said he could install the unit for me.
I ordered along with the Coleman Mach15 these parts for the installation:
1 x Terrys Airstream A/C Kit TERYYSACKIT (TERRYSACKIT)
1 x Brisk Air A/C Drain Pan 3107688.016 (3107688.016)
I wanted to be sure the condensate drained in the wall as the Armstrong 14 did.
I had to be gone on the day of installation. The good news is the Coleman Mach 15 works. The bad news is the installer threw away and never read the instructions. Please see the pictures. The condensate drains on the outside of my 1978 International Airstream, 31’.
Airstream doesn’t want to work on it now since someone else tried to do the install. Any help would be appreciated.

proctorco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Pics aren't visible. Seems like your options are to get the guy who did the installation and tell him he did it wrong, and he needs to come back and do it as requested, or to find some other local shop/mobile tech to redo the job.

Unless you want to tackle it yourself, that is. If you want to tackle it yourself, then there are plenty of us who can tell you what to do.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Fredericksburg , VA
Armstrong 14 Air Conditioner To Coleman Mach15

First time I have really posted. sorry about the pictures not showing up.

I added a link to google drive where I have them. I would like to fix this myself. The workmanship was incredibly poor, so I don't want the repairman back.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S9o2SWtvqgwCTZm3A

Tried picture upload again. Hopefully works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0460.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	376569   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0461.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	376570  

Name:	DSC_0462.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	376571   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0464.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	376572  

Old 08-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Fredericksburg , VA

Inside work. Looks like condensate tubes are hooked up to exit tube through wall of Airstream.

Exit tube on up angle. Tied off to support to try and make the exit tube slightly lower. Looks like I should have gotten a unit with a condensate pump?

Not sure if the loose copper is for the thermastate? Hopefully not a loose ground.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0478.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	376579   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0479.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	376580  

Old 08-22-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Fredericksburg , VA

Reworked condensate flow and it now drains like it is supposed to. The problem was shoddy workmanship.

Not sure if the condensate capture cups should be on outside of the camper under the air conditioner as installed?

Shame none of the install paperwork was saved.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
CruiserGa

2004 25' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
You should be able to google the install instructions as well as utube videos?
Bmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Royse City , TX
Mach 15 AIR CONDITIONER install instructins at:
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...rofile/mach-15

Sorry to hear you had lousy workmanship.

I am planning to add a Mach 8 air conditioner and have the same concern for who to do the work or to do it myself. Trying to figure out the drain configuration.
hmhRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Fredericksburg , VA
I had to rearrange the condensate lines. Just make sure the wall drain is below the other two catch lines. You might want to consider a unit that has a condensate pump, but that is something else that can go bad.

The Armstrong 14 that was taken out was a really good quality ac unit.

Will have to wait and see how the Coleman holds up.

My condensate is now draining like it should, underneath the camper instead of down the side.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So, yes, the condensate cups are supposed to be on the outside of the trailer, underneath the drip holes of the AC unit, but they are usually attached to the bottom of the AC. It looks like your installer tried to glue them in place with silicon and they fell down. I have a hunch that unless they are secured, when you head down the road, they are going to move out from under the drip holes, and you will have condensate running down the outside again.

The other thing that one usually sees in these installations, is that they use a double layer of foam in order to accommodate the drain tubes going through the foam seal. It doesn't look like yours is doubled, but it also looks like it was made on the fly, so maybe it is of the right thickness and not an issue (just kind of ugly looking). As I recall, my AC also had a foam support that went between the rest of the body of the AC and the roof to give it some support. I can't tell if you have that support or not (nor do I know whether this is common for your model of AC, mine is a dometic), but it looks like your entire unit is kind of leaning toward the rear, suggesting it has no support back there.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorco View Post
Armstrong 14 quit working. I should have gone up on top and I would have found a wire burnt into. Instead, I had someone else repair it. Was scheduled to have a new Coleman Mach15 installed at Airstream but it was taking over a month to get in. Had the same RV repairman that said he could install the unit for me.
I ordered along with the Coleman Mach15 these parts for the installation:
1 xTerrys Airstream A/C Kit TERYYSACKIT (TERRYSACKIT)
1 xBrisk Air A/C Drain Pan 3107688.016 (3107688.016)
I wanted to be sure the condensate drained in the wall as the Armstrong 14 did.
I had to be gone on the day of installation. The good news is the Coleman Mach 15 works. The bad news is the installer threw away and never read the instructions. Please see the pictures. The condensate drains on the outside of my 1978 International Airstream, 31’.
Airstream doesn’t want to work on it now since someone else tried to do the install. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you try online to find the company and see if you can download new instructions ?
Lcrupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcrupper View Post
. Did you try online to find the company and see if you can download new instructions ?

Do you still have any of the old unit for sale for parts ?
Lcrupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Fredericksburg , VA

I have the instructions for the Mach 15. I didn't have the instructions for the Brisk Air A/C Drain Pan 3107688.016 (3107688.016), but since I purchased the part through Airstream I should be able to get instructions.

A big mistake on my part was the Armstrong 14 was not saved. I live out of my Airstream full time and was not able to keep it in the park where I have my camper right now.

I really liked that unit. Made much better than what you can buy today. Lasted over 40 years.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorco View Post
Reworked condensate flow and it now drains like it is supposed to. The problem was shoddy workmanship.

Not sure if the condensate capture cups should be on outside of the camper under the air conditioner as installed?

Shame none of the install paperwork was saved.
Definitely shoddy workmanship. I guess if you called out the repair company you may be breaking forum rules.

It looks like you trailer was polished at one time. Yet look at all the goop they left behind from the old unit. Another reason to do as much of your own work as possible regardless of whether it takes you three- four times as long.

The hardest part is getting those units up on the roof and that's probably the only thing I would pay to get help with. Do you have the inclination to disassemble and redo properly with the extra gasket?
Old 08-24-2020, 05:54 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Fredericksburg , VA

I have decided that I will do my own work going forward.

Yes, I have thought about ordering a new gasket and redoing the work, but I have it working right now and want to travel and see new views out my windows.

People that are not used to working on Airstreams, especially vintage ones just don’t get it. They think everything should be removed and “upgraded”.

I try to keep everything as original as I can. That is why I wish I had gotten up on top and did the troubleshooting myself with the old air conditioner.