Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Knoxville , Tennessee
Anybody use a Portable Airconditioner?

I have a 22' 1964 Safari that I am about to start. Has anyone used or considered using a "portable airconditioner" in their camper? Possibly mounted in a cabinet with the 4" port ducted to the outside through an access panel? Thoughts? What size AC unit would be good for a 22' trailer? I am in the Southeast and will take it to the beach and warmer places.

I can install a rooftop unit but I think it compromises the look of the camper a bit. If I go that route does anyone have recommendations for best funtioning/loooking AC unit?

Thanks for any input.
Knoxvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I tried a portable A/C unit for a trip a couple of years ago...here's a couple of pics of our set-up. We rarely camp in areas requiring A/C...so I didn't go to the effort to build it in...and I'm glad. It worked okay, not great - but okay, although it had trouble cooling more than 15-20 degrees cooler than outside during the heat of the day (it was 90-95 outside and humid!). The biggest problem being the exhaust hose heated up the space as much as the unit cooled it down - although it got caught up at night.

Another year since then, we went with the window unit (removing it for travel) and a series of filler panels to hold it in place. That worked much better because it exhausts directly outside. I may have some pics somewhere - but you can get the idea.

<on edit> I found a picture of our window A/C installed here. I worked much better - it's the right solution for us for a temporary (one trip a year) fix.

Several have installed window-style A/C units under dinettes or beds that have a pull-out panel for exhaust & ventilation. That seems to work well too...if we ever do decide to add an A/C to either trailer, we will do something similar. Here's a pic.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Knoxvegas,
Our rooftop went kaput just before we were headed out for a trip last summer. In a pinch I picked up a portable AC from a box store as a temporary measure to get us by on the trip. Ran a temporary exhaust duct out through one of the storage compartment doors under the bed. It was a 15K BTU and it really struggled to keep the the trailer cool--it ran ALL the time. It was also so noisy we could hardly tolerate it--the rooftop units aren't exactly silent but this thing was loud.
I would suggest that you try a different route like a modified window unit or something else--was not impressed by the portable units.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
<on edit> I found a picture of our window A/C installed here. I worked much better - it's the right solution for us for a temporary (one trip a year) fix.
I hate the look of it though...a big wart on the front of the trailer! Very "trailer park" IMO...but it did keep us cool ~

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Knoxville , Tennessee
Shari,

How cool is the pull-out panel?? That seems like a great solution.
I have spent some time going through your "Its a girl thread" congrats on the gret work.

Good to get the feedback from all on the portables too.
The PO has mounted a permanent wall unit where the kitchen window is.
That will have to come out. Will get picks up soon.

I also have a question posted about tankless hot water heater on that section if you all have input.

What would be the proper place to start a thread for the whole project?
Under the model/yr in the trailer forum? That does not seem to get much traffic?
Anyway, pictures of my project will go up this weekend. Finishing a deck and fence and hope to get started in next 2 weeks.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

The way to go

For my 1966 22’ Safari, I use the setup below. Pretty simple, get a folding aluminum table from Wal-Mart/COSTCO, take out the two pins that hold the two pieces together, cut legs down to length needed, put a 90 degree clip on the end bottom of the piece that sits on the window to hold it in place, put the A/C unit on top, then put three pieces of Plexiglas around the A/C unit on the inside that can be held in place by screen clips, then take “pet screening” (the vinyl type from Lowes, doubled up) and make a cover that is held in place either by Velcro or the strong type paperclips that look like a “V”. Since a 6000/8000 BTU home unit only pulls about 640-860 watts you can use the standard wall socket (no breaker upgrade needed) to run the thing. I can pull it out of the car and install it in less that 10-15 minutes. You could run two of them(front/rear window) off a 2000 watt Honda genset, running it off of the propane in the trailer all weekend!!

It’s easy to install and cheap!

Also, here's a link to a same type thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...nit-41052.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC-Stand.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	102981   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot1.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	102982  

Name:	shot.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	102983  
Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I found a window unit for slightly less than a new motor for my Bay Breeze (which may or may not "fix" the Bay Breeze). I am in the process right now of fitting it into the curb side window of my '61 Safari. There is about 3/64ths of an inch to spare on the width. So far it takes about 3-4 minutes to set it in place and it will run on 15 amps.

I just have to open the window, hang the stand on the window, push it in place, and plug it in. I am fine-tuning it to be mosquito proof for a trip to Minnesota in June.

It has high and low settings for cooling and air circulation and is fairly quiet. I could sleep with it running even though it would be just across from the bed.

As for cooling..... it claims to be able to cool 150 sq ft which is more than the Safari. I will see.......
Generally heat does not bother me much until it gets up over 100, so I think I won't have any complaints if it can only cool to 80 degrees.

I hope to have some photos and results to share soon.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I use a portable air conditioner to help cool part of my house. They are somewhat noisey, and like mentioned above, the hose gives off a lot of heat. This defeats some of the cooling action. I bought a collapsable A/C duct that has fiberglass insulation on the inside and aluminum looking material on the out side. I slip this cover over the exhaust hose, and tie it with strings on both ends. This stopped about 98% of the hose heat. One draw back is that this type of air conditioner will take up too much space in a trailer. A temperary window air/cond will work, but a roof air is the best way to go.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have similar results from my portable air conditioner used in my house. It is a two hose unit, pulling in outside air to cool the condenser, then discharging it. I insulated the discharge hose using wrap around insulation from Lowes.

Nevertheless in my opinion it doesn't cool to its 14,000 BTU rating, more like 8-10,000 BTU.

The roof air is ideal packaging for a RV. The window air conditioners give more bang for the buck, and more real BTU per watt than the portable units.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I tried a portable and found it to be rather noisy, and took up way too much space.This is what I ended up doing.It's actually quieter than the roof unit, and 8,000 BTUs seems to be about just right for a 19 footer.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post821583
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxvegas View Post
What would be the proper place to start a thread for the whole project?
Under the model/yr in the trailer forum? That does not seem to get much traffic?
It doesn't really matter where you start your "whole project" thread...each time you post to it, it will pop to the top of the "Portal" or "New Posts" pages which are how most folks peruse the forums. I find it most logical to put it in the year/model section but others put their's in the various repair forums or elsewhere...regardless, each time you or someone else posts to it, it will display equally and garner the same traffic.

Shari

Old 05-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You could check these units out, they are made for big trucks. Click on Catologs then scroll down to 120-240 VAC units. I think these guys could put together anything you would need. Spendy though.

Danhard Inc Mobile HVAC components and systems
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks all. Portable Air-conditioner idea is squashed. Will do some version of the wall unit either in access panel or to be installed at campsite. I like the post from RideAir, your Safari is beautiful.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
VIKING (Rich) did a floor mount of a low priced window unit that slides out and seals against the inside wall when in use then slides in and has a cover when not in use. I looked but could not find his photos. What a surprise, I seem to be 'search challenged" when it come to searching the forum.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

If you eer get to see Colis Hydes setup, very nice. Standard window unit mounted in the upper area of the pantry that slides out the sidewall of the trailer when it is being used, slide back in for traveling. It appears to be an original setup.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
just read this thread, a bit late, but heres my $.02. i literally *just* last week did a ton of research on this as i wanted to do the same exact thing. the deal with the portable a/c is that since most only have an exhaust tube, it creates negative pressure inside the trailer and pulls hot air from outside. so it doesnt re-circulate the cool air, continually making it colder, like a window a/c or car does...

there ARE (a bit more expensive) 'dual hose' portable models that DO function like a window a/c, by pulling in and recirculating the cool air in the trailer. if anything, this is what we would have purchased. i cannot testify as to noise issue, as we decided to abandon this plan altogether. we wanted a dual hose portable a/c with the optional 'heat pump' feature. however, they were in the $500 range and seemed to only come in 13000BTU+ which seemed overkill for our little 19' GT.

and since its camping after all.... we decided to do like they did in 62 and tough it out.

we will however, replace our oem fan with a fantastic fan, and should we find ourselves in dire need, hubby says he'll rig a block of ice under the fan
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Update on window unit

I got a chance to test out the window unit. First time to install took 4 1/2 minutes. Second time was 3 minutes. It is a 5000 BTU unit stated good for 150 sq feet. (My Safari is 126 sq ft.) I tested it on an 85 degree day with the trailer in the sun. Interior temps were about 95 degrees. The unit managed to get the interior down about 20 degrees to 75 in 30 minutes. Plenty good enough for me, but might not please others. This unit has high and low cooling settings and is not very noisy. Condensation drips off the shelf and stays away from the trailer. Runs easily on a 15 amp circuit in the trailer. I will give it a good test in Minnesota in a couple of weeks, and then , if it works well, I will build a better shelf/stand for it. Window sealing was 3/8ths by 3/8ths self stick foam gasket material and a small piece of 1/8th plywood. I may have to fine-tune the sealing against those pesky Minnesota mosquitos. And for my next trick I will try to add a couple of photos.......
Hope this helps those thinking about some cooling.
Sam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010013.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	104286   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010015.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	104287  

samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Well done, samb!

You nicely illustrate one of the benefits of the windows Airstream used in late Fifties to Sixties that have removable interior screens. A small home air conditioner can be fitted into the window opening, supported and made sufficiently air tight to function well while in a campground. This method keeps the roof line clean while underway. Parked and chillin' has its own functional beauty.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:10 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
built in portable?

When planning out the interior for the caravanner redo, we thought about a roof top unit but really like vintage units without the roof acne. Camping in New England rarely needs an AC and frankly, I'd rather have a good fan.

But knowing that we would eventually head to someplace warmer for camping, we built an AC into our kitchen base. This was one of the first things installed in the interior and was planned from the very beginning. The AC is a portable unit from a local store, brand is irrelevant, I took of the control unit and made a wood panel with a cut-out of the same size, extended the wiring and secured it to the floor with metal straps.

The venting is out the rear back hatch via an insulated duct and the return is by opening a hatch in the rear. The whole set-up works pretty well. Not as efficient as a roof top but when it's really hot outside, we are comfortable inside.

Here's some grainy pictures.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	104315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	104316  

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:44 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We used a 5,000 btu window a/c in our non-A/S B van, and it worked adequately. Because it was mounted in a van window, I had to make it more or less semi permanent, so it screamed "Redneck" while driving. I removed it when we got done using it, and replaced the window.