Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
Air Conditioning, should it stay?

I am considering removing my air conditioner from my 1965 Overlander. Basically, it is in need of repair (fan runs, but no cold air), we have never used it/needed it, and would love to get rid of the extra weight/eyesore...

Any ideas, tips, suggestions or warnings as I consider this change? (i.e. how big is the hole in the skin, does it come down in, or up and out...etc. etc.?)

Thanks for your time...

GReg
HansenClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Depending on whether or not it's original, it could have been installed in an odd way, but most likely, the internal shroud comes off, and then you unbolt the top part of the unit from the lower unit, and the lower unit will come down into the coach while the top part comes off the top. It's heavy, so it's best to have a couple of people on separate ladders bringing it down at the same time.

It is likely installed in a standard 14x14 opening, and you could replace it with a vent or Fantastic fan if you like.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Greg, I looked at your pics and your AC looks similar to the unit on my trailer (at least the shroud looks the same). Based on the receipts from the original owner, I think mine was installed around 1964. I removed the exterior shroud this weekend as part of another project and found the exterior portion of the AC is screwed to the top. The interior unit of mine is rivited to the cealing. I recently saw another thread on these monsters and there were comments about how to safely release the refridgerant. I need to remove mine and replace it, so if I get to mine first, I'd be happy to let you know what I find.

Norm
Old 05-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Air Conditioning, should it stay?

If you are working with an Armstrong Bay Breeze air conditioner -- it is far removed from current units in its installation and removal. The interior and exterior units are separate entities -- joined by plumbing that passes through the roof. There are typically three small roof openings through which the refrigerant lines and plumbing pass. Both interior and exterior portions of the unit are often attached with many rivets and heaping portions of Vulkem.

If I would have known what I know now, I would have never been persuaded to replace my Armstrong with a Coleman in 1996. I really liked how quiet and rugged the Armstrong was -- the Coleman makes huge amounts of noise with just adequate air conditioning.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
Thanks for all your input.... Greatly appreciated as always!
HansenClan is offline   Reply With Quote