Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2002, 10:51 AM   #1
JAG
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JAG
Air Conditioners

Who out there is using an A/C that is not an Duo-Therm Penguin? I am curious about the water rolling off the side as opposed to going through the drain in the trailer.I know that on the Penguins the drain comes out the left side of the pan looking to the front of the trailer. In my trailer, equipped with the original A/C it comes out the right, and does not go through the ceiling.

What are your thoughts on not using a Penguin. There is 200.00's difference in price for the same performance. Also I can get a heat pump for about 100.00's of savings. The only sacrifice would be the A/C draining off the trailer. If I used the trailer for a week and came home and washed the trailer, I wouldn't think I would have a big issue with staining??? Or will I??? Andy, would the "Walbernize" help this issue?? I am just trying to save some money...I am by no means a cheap skate, but at this point I am not real concerned with water draining off the sides, unless I need to be.

Please give me your honest opinions....

All will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 12:01 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have had some experience with water draining from the A/C so let me give you my 2 cents worth.

I have had 2 Airstream trailers and now have a Motor home. My first trailer had a Coleman unit replacement. Water ran down the side.... Right over one of the windows. Not really an issue just an observation.

My second trailer still had the Armstrong unit, plumbed through the skin to drain on the ground. This was my first experience with the detail of thought that went into the Airstreams. Unfortunately the Armstrong died and we installed a Coleman with a heat strip. Again we had the water problem, but now it went over the vista views and a window and eventually down a curbside awning.

I personally think the drain is an elegant way to move the condensation from the roof to the ground without leaving any substance on the surface of your trailer.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 01:25 PM   #3
JAG
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JAG
Thanks Joe...that would be great!!!....Although I am kind of leaning towards the Carrier AIR-V...I would like some info on what you find though!!

Thanks!!
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote