Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 20
Burlington , Ontario
Air Conditioner (wasps)

A few years ago I began to have an vibration when turning on the air fan.
On taking the cover off I discovered that Mud Dabber Wasps had put their mud on the blades of the fan. I removed the mud but found it had damaged (cracked) the blades.

I ordered new blades and installed them. WONDERFUL. But then then the next season I had vibrations again. Being wiser I shut the fan off and looked at the blades again and there was more mud.

I in my infinate wisdom put a screen (glued on the area that house the fan blades and since then I have no more troubles.

I thought this was enough to warn you guys out there.

Rae Baker VE3CZN
ve3czn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Thanks for the warning and the fix, Rae!

The best thing you can do is go over your trailer/moho with a fine-toothed comb to find any openings. The larger ones (furnace vent, fridge vent, etc.) can be covered with mesh screen, either over the opening itself or in the door. If on the door, make sure you don't have gaps between the door and the body where something can get in.

If you have small openings (missing rivets, etc.) you will need to fix/fill them properly. Put a rivet back where one is missing. Ants can easily get into those holes. There was a thread on here the other day about blocking other openings-- I think the consensus was to use aluminum wool (like steel wool but made out of aluminum) so as not to cause different-metal corrosion. Gaps can be sealed properly with vulkem or other sealant (PLEASE don't use silicon caulk!).

Bugs are a nightmare down here in the South, but I had no idea you had dirt daubers in Ontario! I was only a kid when I lived there (Sarnia), so I don't really remember bugs.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Other places we have suffered wasps, and where stainless steel pot scourers or non-corroding wire wool or bug screen are required:

1. The vent holes below the battery box door(s).
2. The open ends of the frame at front and back.
3. Refrigerator air intake.
4. Slots in the belly pan where the lifting step mechanism protrudes.

Nick.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
My AC has developed the same vibration and is at the top of my list this weekend to repair (clean). AirForums member lewster advised me along the same line as your conclusion - bug debris or a dried frog is my guess at the root cause of my vibration - I will see this weekend.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
has anyone designed a proper foam plug toblock vent openings while parked?
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I know that Camping World has several designs for slip over vinyl covers that go on like hair nets and have elastic around the edge to hold them in place. You cannot operate the AC with this on and it is designed to protect te AC cover from the sun, but should work to stop wasps and stuff from crawling up in there.

I used some metal screen and a hot glue gun to fasten the screen to the larger inlets on the inside of the AC. It works well and should not come off.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
My a/c cover is very brittle, and I don't want to breathe on it, much less take it off. When I get the new shroud in the spring, I'll put some medium mesh wire over (inside) the air holes in it.