Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Angier , North Carolina
Air conditioner upgrade advice?

Our Interstate (2014) has likely given up the ghost and we’re looking for the best replacement? I’ve not located any threads on the subject but would like to have the conversation.
StephensNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Los Angeles , California
We replaced our 13,500btu unit on our 23d with the 15,000btu low profile dometic penguin 2.

Night and day difference.
Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quieter and More Efficient AC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephensNC View Post
Our Interstate (2014) has likely given up the ghost and we’re looking for the best replacement? I’ve not located any threads on the subject but would like to have the conversation.
According to Advanced Rv near Cleveland Ohio they have a Quiet Motorhome Air Conditioner that has excellent cooling and dehumidifying capability, even in demanding conditions like high outside temperatures and radiated sun. This unit is 20% more efficient and many times quieter than any other they have tested.

$2700.00

https://www.upfittersresource.com/co...-benz-sprinter

Video link;https://youtu.be/_9aMANXybD0
Old 06-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
+1 on looking into the air conditioner offered by Advanced RV. I watched all the videos I could find on the subject and was impressed. We had planned a trip to ARV to see the product first-hand in May but that all fell apart due to COVID-19 concerns. That unit will definitely be on our list of things to consider for the van and perhaps our trailer too.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephensNC View Post
My wife and I just returned from Advanced RV last week to replace our noisy AC unit. They let you spend the night in their back parking lot. They have electric hookup only. The next day they worked on our rv and were done about 4:30. We spent one more night in the parking lot and headed home the next day. We really like the unit. We can actually carry on a conversation and watch tv with the AC on something that was very difficult with the Dometic unit. From the short time we've used it the new unit appears to cool more efficiently than the old unit. There is no wall thermostat, only a handheld remote. The thermostat is built into the unit. The fan runs continuously even when the compressor tuns off, however at such a low speed it is not very noticeable. If I recall it draws about 12 amps when the compressor is on. The unit on top is larger than the Dometic unit and because of the location of the TV antenna they partially dismantled the antenna to install the unit. The antenna does rest against the AC cover causing the the antenna to tilt slightly forward.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Blizzard 15k by Dometic
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
A vote for the Coleman NDQ. Great reviews on quietness, plus I imagine you can save a bundle over the Advance RV price. Runs at 8-9 amps too, so very efficient.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/sea...rchid=13535313

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ir+conditioner
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Blizzard NXT

Check out post #7
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...de-195288.html
Old 06-22-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Orlik, would you mind posting a picture of the inside and outside of the AC unit? Curious if you know the draw it takes to start the compressor, or if you still have to be plugged into 30 Amps or run the generator to run the AC? Good to have your impression on the Advanced RV unit, and thanks for sharing.

Nice to have other options listed too, other than wondering if they all work on an Interstate.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #10
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
A vote for the Coleman NDQ. Great reviews on quietness, plus I imagine you can save a bundle over the Advance RV price. Runs at 8-9 amps too, so very efficient.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/sea...rchid=13535313

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ir+conditioner

First link is not working...

Great reviews where?

I can't find decent information on it... I was dead set on spending the $$ on the Advanced RV unit. But the idea of a less expensive unit, that could still be connected to the control panel we have, and a lot quieter than what we have now, is appealing...

But outside of the video by The Fit RV, not much on it...

I do not want to spend on a new A/C only to find out that I should have gone with the ARV unit...

On a positive note... these are finally available everywhere... when that video came out, you could not find them at all... Now even Amazon has them:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Mach-...2834719&sr=8-1
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Orlik, would you mind posting a picture of the inside and outside of the AC unit? Curious if you know the draw it takes to start the compressor, or if you still have to be plugged into 30 Amps or run the generator to run the AC? Good to have your impression on the Advanced RV unit, and thanks for sharing.

Nice to have other options listed too, other than wondering if they all work on an Interstate.
Sorry it took so long to respond. Advanced RV informed me it has soft start built into the unit. So you could you should be able to run the AC on a 20 amp circuit. I ran the old unit on a 20 amp circuit for over a year before I upgraded to a 30 amp at my home. The old unit did not have soft start and drew about 5 amps more than the new unit. Hope the pics are attached. Not sure I did it right.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2020, 10:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Nice-thanks so much for the pictures. Interesting to see the height difference. Looks lower profile on the outside. Tempting to make that drop with the temperatures we are experiencing or shall I say, humidity and heat. Finding out I can’t handle the heat like before, too many heat strokes from playing summer sports I guess. Maybe I’ll go snip some wires and my significant other would never know.... just kidding! Thanks again for the info as we’ve found out the stock Dometic unit noise is to the point of not sleeping well at all as many have said so sometimes it’s just best to bite the bullet but we’ll have to see. Glad you got to upgrade and appreciate your sharing the pictures and experience.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #13
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
There are two very similar (parallel) threads regarding air conditioner upgrades. This thread in the B-van/Sprinter sub-forum and the other in the more general repair/furnace/AC forum. I thought some cross-posting may be in order...

--------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly

Hello, welcome to Air Forums.

No, we did not install the quiet AC from Advanced RV. We had hoped to stop by their place to see the unit in operation sometime in spring 2020 but our travel plans changed.

I'm curious if you've heard of other brands of AC, or other sources, for the AC that Advanced RV sells. If there's a lower price or better alternative please do elaborate.

Reply from byu2beach:

Recpro RP-AC3400 is the one that I've been researching both on Amazon and direct from Recpro $1124. I just don't know anything about Recpro accept that they are an RV and Marine accessory supplier. My research thus far shows me that the "Houghton" units are manufactured in the same plant as "Dometic" and "Recpro" units are manufactured. Import records verify shipments from Ningbo Hongdu to Advanced Rv, Dometic, Atwood and others. The China Company is Ningbo Hongdu Electrical Appliance Co,, China. It appears the units are being Manufactured by, sold by and shipped by Ningbo Hongdu. Houghton has basically disappeared but their name lives on. I messaged Wachuko about his unit but thus far haven't received a reply. Finch Australia Australia, a major Houghton distributor, may play a role, I'm just not sure.
B

-----------------------------------------

Seems byu2beach has done some legwork. I've looked at the RecPro web site and it sure looks like they're selling the same unit Advanced RV has tested. The price from RecPro is appealing but installation will add more time and $$.

The RecPro unit is available in white or black. Here's a link: https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...te-non-ducted/

And a link to the other thread: https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...te-non-ducted/

Anyone considering the RecPro product?
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 06-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Orlik, or anyone having installed the Advanced RV unit, a question about the Dometic wall controller. Do they leave the Dometic wall controller installed and it only runs the heat now? Are you happy with the remote control with the Advanced RV? I also read a while back that you cannot run the Advanced RV unit while traveling/moving. Is that still correct, do you know?
Old 06-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #15

Orlando , Florida
Lucius, did I missed a message?
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #16
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Lucius, did I missed a message?
My post above may have been confusing - I was referring to some recent comments from Air Forums member byu2beach.

I received an email from byu2beach via Air Forums. byu2beach may have done the same with their question to you - check your email if you don't have any PMs.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #17

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
My post above may have been confusing - I was referring to some recent comments from Air Forums member byu2beach.

I received an email from byu2beach via Air Forums. byu2beach may have done the same with their question to you - check your email if you don't have any PMs.
Okay, understood. Nope... do not recall a private message or email from that username.

Thank you for the clarification.

Cheers!
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Orlik, or anyone having installed the Advanced RV unit, a question about the Dometic wall controller. Do they leave the Dometic wall controller installed and it only runs the heat now? Are you happy with the remote control with the Advanced RV? I also read a while back that you cannot run the Advanced RV unit while traveling/moving. Is that still correct, do you know?
Wall remote stays in place to operate the heat. No real issues with the remote - easy to operate. ARV just told me that some people run the unit while traveling/moving. They just said to to try it and see how it goes. The unit will just shut off if there is a problem. I believe it has something to do with how the air move across the the fan. Never thought much about it because its not an issue for us. If I had a complaint it would be the fan runs all the time the unit is on. I would have preferred an option shutting the fan off when the compressor tuns off but ARV claims its just more efficient this way. The fan is not loud and is not really an issue but my preference would have been to have the option.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Melbourne Beach , Florida
Sorry Guy's,
I'm not used to Forums and exactly how they work. I'm getting closer to going the Recpro route but have been working on finding a propane generator solution using the Honda EU2200i.
byu2beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Melbourne Beach , Florida
Orlick,
Have you run the AC unit while driving on Highway and did it shut down or show a fault code? Just wondering?
byu2beach is offline   Reply With Quote