Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I called my folks at Airxcell/RVP in Kansas on Friday. They are checking into the production schedules and should get back to me on Mon./Tues. I'll report back as soon as I have some official word.
Hello Lew, just checking to see if there is any new on this.

Thanks

Don
Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Updating the thread

Hi Lew, it won't be long until spring and summer arrives and was wondering if you had any more news on the new Coleman AC.

Thanks

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Hello Lew, just checking to see if there is any new on this.

Thanks

Don
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Information is posted on the original thread announcing the new unit, along with suggested pricing.

I don't have the thread or the info handy, but it should not be hard to find.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Heeeeeeeeer's the thread!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ml#post1206877
Old 07-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
trying to decide on Dometic Penguin II- following Lewster advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I don't have delivery info yet on the new RVP low profile units and yes, I definitely prefer the Dometic auxiliary drip kit to the (IMHO) convoluted and totally unnecessary drain pan that Airstream saw fit to use. I use the past tense as I was on the roof of a 2012 25FC and it had the auxiliary drip kit factory installed. About time!!!!!!!
I just bought a '73 31' Sovereign AS. Has the old Armstrong unit in it- no work.
I am in Maine- not a lot of techs here can give me advice on this replacement let alone doing the work! I am thinking of getting the Penguin II 15,000BTU.
What should I tell my AC guy I need to buy besides the AC to make this job complete? What drip kit/pan? wall thermostat? Does the AC come with a thermostat? I have lots of questions- can I call you? PLEEEEZE??
Shapmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapmaui View Post
I just bought a '73 31' Sovereign AS. Has the old Armstrong unit in it- no work.
I am in Maine- not a lot of techs here can give me advice on this replacement let alone doing the work! I am thinking of getting the Penguin II 15,000BTU.
What should I tell my AC guy I need to buy besides the AC to make this job complete? What drip kit/pan? wall thermostat? Does the AC come with a thermostat? I have lots of questions- can I call you? PLEEEEZE??
You have to decide if you want an electronic t/stat (Dometic's Comfort Control Center II) or manual, analog controls. Your decision will impact whether you need 12VDC at the A/C unit along with 120VAC.

If you get the manual controls, you need the compatible inner air distribution box (ADB) with the manual controls. For electronic t/stat, you need the ADB for that unit.......PLUS if you want your furnace to operate on the new t/stat, you will need to have the furnace wires present at the roof opening for the new A/C, as they get connected to the new relay board in the unit.

For either, you will also need Dometic's auxiliary drip kit. I don't have the number handy, but I have posted it numerous times and should be available using the search feature.

Also, you have to decide whether you are getting a a straight A/C unit or heat pump.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
When we bought the Penguin 4 or 5 years ago, we learned that the 15K BTU models require the electronic t/stat. The 13.5K models have the option of using the electronic t/stat or the analog controls on the ceiling plenum. Not sure if that's still the case, but it's something else to check on before you order the unit.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
I have two separate original Honeywell thermostats. One for the AC, and one for the heater. They are on opposite walls. I am guessing the AC thermostat is electronic? Its hard wired to the AC up through the wall and over to the unit, I'm guessing
Old 07-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm not going to go with the electronic (Comfort Control Center 5-button) after having my Penguin go Tango Uniform at a Ma & Pa Campground in Montana last summer.
I'm going back to simple local controls on the ceiling ADB.
A lot easier to trouble shoot switches and capacitors in the field. Trying to debug circuit boards and electronic thermostats is like trying to smell the color 5.
I spent the money on a Power Surge.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Air Conditioner Replacement

Actually, they don't make the 5-button any longer. It's now a 12 button called the CCC-II.

And BTW, the color 5 smells just like chicken......... :-))

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 07-17-2015, 05:53 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
I would guess, as long as the manual control works the same as a thermostat, it's just basically mounted on the ceiling ADB- rather than a wall--correct? The manual has a "thermostat" to turn off the AC when interior space hits desired temp? Or no..it's completely manual..needing human fingers to shut it off when they are cold enough?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yes, the manual controls on the ceiling plenum include a thermostat to maintain the temp you set it at. On every a/c unit I've ever seen, the plenum controls consist of a on/off/fan speed control and a thermostat. Typically no temperature numbers on the thermostat, so you play with it until you find the position that maintains the temp you want, and then never touch it again.

Your current wall a/c thermostat may be electronic. Impossible to tell without a picture or opening it up to see if there's a circuit board inside. But, no matter really. It will not work with the Penguin a/c. If you want a wall thermostat for the penguin, you'll need to buy their CCC. And make sure the a/c unit is the correct model to work with the CCC.

The number 10 smells like bacon...

Chris
Old 07-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Did some one say............BACON !!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Hmmm...so there is no confusion with my kids, since there are no numbers on the thermostat, I could write some words instead- maybe "1" equals "cold turkey" and "10" equals " CRISPY BACON"?
Old 07-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Or a big arrow with a note that says "Dad's comfort zone. Change at your own risk."
Old 07-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapmaui View Post
Hmmm...so there is no confusion with my kids, since there are no numbers on the thermostat, I could write some words instead- maybe "1" equals "cold turkey" and "10" equals " CRISPY BACON"?

I like your style !!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357