Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Camping World told me it would cost $700.00 just to fabricate a new "pan" for an Airstream in order to install a new Coleman AC. I called Inland RV for suggestions and they said to get a Carrier. I called a little RV shop in Stillwater, Oklahoma, and the owner said he had installed several Carriers on AS's. Soooo I took the Argosy up to him and have had the Carrier for over a year with no leaks and no problems. I got the 13,500 with the heat strip for my 24ft Argosy. It will freeze you out even here in Oklahoma. We have had temps over 100 for most of the Summer and I have had no problems. I agree with what has been said here before, Camping World will not work on my Argosy. They would not even put in my new gas/elect water heater. Said it would take special wiring, etc...... My little RV shop had it in in a day and it works perfectly on electricity with no problems.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
mea culpa

I have since learned there is little wrong with my Armstrong, much wrong with my outbuilding electrical service. Plugged into a state park 30 amp service it froze us out of the unit. I have replaced the 120V > 24 V transformer, might need a relay. Thanks, all. I'll keep the ol'dependable if my electrician can get me some juice & I can figure out rewiring the control box up top
bsshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #23
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
well i ended up with a dometic unit due to a mix up in the delivery. i picked up a 15000 btu unit with the controls mounted on the unit. the armstrong 14 was somewhat of a pain to remove since the screws were puddied over, but the spacing was accurate so we just measured the distance and found each screw fairly easy. and there was about 40 screws! we installed the wood support braces and screwed them in place from inside the trailer. we used a sky jack to raise and lower the units. the four mounting screws really pulled the new unit down and the tight fit into the 14" x 14" hole prevents any movement in the new unit. thanks for all the help and comments prior to the install -- i appreciate everyone's help! thanks, tuna
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #24

Vintage Kin Owner
North Richland Hills , Texas
Replacement Holes Issue

jsims;

One way might be to mount a small, rectangular aluminum frame in it's place, flat, with holes punched in a attached n thin plate to match the hole pattern of the new a/c. simple, ez to install, hassle free.

There is a great, cheap customs shop in San Diego that may be able to give you a quote on this mounting plate when you have a chance: RodLouvers.com - ask for Dave . . .the shop owner.

You will love his website and his ability to make custom, polished, aluminum parts for cheap!

Thanks,
Joe
joe2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 19' Safari
2005 19' Safari
new iberia , Louisiana
Drain hose

We had a knew air condition put on our 1975 Argosy, do they come with the drain pan or is that something we. Will have to put on ? Does the air condition have to come off to do this?
Thanks
stream lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
East Northport , Ny
Penguin air conditioner shroud

Hello,
I am trying to buy a replacement shroud for my 2004 safari. It has a Dometic duo-therm Penguin A/C. When I call around, they want a model number. My manual covers several model numbers so I don't know which one I have. I see shrouds for sale that just list as shroud for Penguin A/C. Are all shrouds the same for Penguin A/C's?
Garyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #27

2003 25' Safari
McLean , Virginia
Shroud for 2004 Safari

I just noticed that my shroud needs to be replaced on my 2004 Safari. Out-of-Doors mart has it (3308046.022 Grey Penguin AC Shroud).

I am pretty sure it will work on the 2004, because I ordered my current shroud from them. Not sure why they only last 5-6 years; wondering if they need to be coated periodically.
GG066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
omaha , Nebraska
1973 Airstream Ambassador AC replacement

I am replacing the original AC with a Dometic Blizzard NXT 15k and wanted to see if anyone had any bad experience with this model AC. It is in stock
rothway is offline   Reply With Quote