Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Saratoga , California
Air Conditioner quit working

I have a Dometic Duo-Therm Roof Mounted Air Conditioner, Model 610015.306, 13,5000 BTU on my 1994 Classic Excella that has quit working. There is power from the trailer to the AC/Microwave switch, the switch is good and the microwave works. But when switched to AC the AC Main Board Control panel does not have power. No power light on, no fan, nothing. Where do I check for the problem? Circuit board? Are there replacements for such available?
stevedeiwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
It sounds like your controls are not getting voltage, I would start by checking your dc distribution panel for blown fuses.

Here's the service manual for Duo Therm AC's. https://documents.dometic.com/media/...0?templateId=0
88Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The first thing I would check would be the switch itself, and it's wiring. A loose or burned wire on the AC side would cause that problem.
Next... I chicken out because I just don't know enough to safely mess with electricity... but the next question says it is time for "someone else" to grab a multimeter and look for blown capacitors, shorts or a fried motor. None of the above? Coolent leak - and almost assuredly a new air conditioner.
Prior poster huzzah! Read the documentation is ALWAYS the best idea before poking around.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If this A/C is original to the AS, it's lived a good long life for an RV A/C unit. I would suggest that putting a lot of money into repairing ( as opposed to replacing ) it may not be wise. (Troubleshooting wiring issues does not count as "repair" .... buying lots of parts does).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Saratoga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Limited View Post
It sounds like your controls are not getting voltage, I would start by checking your dc distribution panel for blown fuses.

Here's the service manual for Duo Therm AC's. https://documents.dometic.com/media/...0?templateId=0
Thanks 88Limited. I agree the controls are not getting voltage. However, the 12 volt distribution panel has no fuses to check and, according to the circuit diagram for the AC the power to the control panel Main Board is 115V AC. The AC control board diagram shows a 12V supply (red & black) but it is not shown in the trailer wiring diagram.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:17 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Saratoga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If this A/C is original to the AS, it's lived a good long life for an RV A/C unit. I would suggest that putting a lot of money into repairing ( as opposed to replacing ) it may not be wise. (Troubleshooting wiring issues does not count as "repair" .... buying lots of parts does).

Bob
Thanks Uncle Bob. Normally I would agree with you. But the AC has been working fine until now. And it looks like the problem might lack of power the the main control board - which, hopefully, might be an easy fix. I just don't quite know how to check it.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

AC units are closed loop and should last a long long time. I just replace a run capacitor for 12 dollars and she rounds like a champ. If the compressor still is clean and no refrigerant has leaked out it may be one of the two caps - a few dollars. Every DEALER RV mechanic I have crossed paths with will direct you to swap out a locked up AC unit because they are lazy to diagnose. There I said it.
umasslax is offline   Reply With Quote