Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Air Conditioner Quandry

As new AS’ers my wife and I are trying to learn the ropes and a couple of. questions have arisen as the weather warms up and we spend more time in our 25ft. FC FB.

First question is probably silly but we question if it’s hard on the AC to run continuously. We’re only experiencing 80 degree heat and with no shade, the unit runs continually.

Which brings me to the second question, brought on by the first question, is who has added a second AC unit to a similar length AS, and what are the relevant concerns in doing so?
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
If you do a search, you will find some threads about people adding a 2nd A/C to a 25 or even larger trailer. There is a good deal of expense and you lose a fan/vent in the process.
The A/c units in these trailers seem to be the best an RV can do. Some last a long time, some fail early. Not a lot of QC in this stuff. You cannot really extend its life by not using it, because it is there to make things comfortable. It will have long run times in hot weather. Do the things to cool off the trailer like awnings, shade, and ventilation during the cool hours.
I am still amazed that people now expect the same level of comfort camping, year around, that they demand at home. It used to be that campers moved around to find the nice weather, but now it seems that campers want 74 degrees inside the trailer 24 hours a day, in Florida during the summer. But it is your money and you can decide how you want to spend it. If you need two A/C units, why not just trade in your trailer on one that meets your needs? That is easier than tearing stuff up to rewire, cut big holes and so on.
Larry
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
The units are designed to run. I've had mine running nearly all day long and still on my factory unit.

25' is the starting range IMHO for a 15k or larger A/C unit. If you have that size you should be fine. Less, and may run into it struggling in direct sunlight with higher outdoor ambient temps.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think it is fine to run it continuously. We just left Florida. The last week was hot and humid and we just left the AC on 24 hours a day for 10 days or so. The compressor cycles as it is needed. One thing to check though is the condensate water. Ours drains out as it should. But some installations drip inside.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Isbrodsky- Thanks for the tough love! You’re spot on with your observations and that’s why I brought the question here.
BillM - Where do I check for the condensation dripping?

Thanks guys!
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
On the floor under the unit. You would probably already know if that is a problem.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
uh-oh

Shoulda got a 50amp with 2 A/C's.
From Texas with Love.
(Oftentimes we camp in 100deg temps and run Both A/C's full time)
Old 06-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
One thing we have found that can help if you arrive after driving all day with a very hot trailer is to both run the ac and also run the fantastic fans at the same time for about 10 minutes. Helps to dispel the hot air out.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
A/C units would first, rather be off. Second, they'd rather run continuously.

Their dead last choice for longevity is to cycle on and off.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I'm in Tampa... and it's HOT! I have a dehumidifier permanently installed with an outside drain that runs 24/7 so when I turn on the AC, it takes less time to cool down the trailer. I shut off the dehumidifier when the AC is on. It really helps. I also run the Maxx Air Fan with the lid closed that is right in front of the AC unit to move the cold air around.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Your AC is what it is. You can change it, but at what expense.

There are things you can do to make it more efficient. We cut reflective insulation for our two skylights and upper portholes. This made a huge difference in the overall heat coming into the trailer. It was inexpensive and works very well. Try ordering a bit more for side windows or windows facing the sun. The windows in an Airstream trailer have no properties to repel heat from the sun like your windows at home and in fact, the dark shading of the windows actually generates heat.

Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-In...097885&sr=8-23

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is a second thing you can add to your trailer:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulat...1098643&sr=8-1

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup View Post
. . .
. . . I also run the Maxx Air Fan with the lid closed that is right in front of the AC unit to move the cold air around.
Good suggestion . . . and thanks for the reminder in your signature:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16...ml#post2366225

We have some small battery-operated fans to do the same, and charge the batteries with a small solar charger.

PS -- Good suggestions, turk123, glad you are feeling better . . . welcome back!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #14
Alaskans on the road

1986 34' Excella
Soldotna , Alaska
Adjusting to summer in the AS

We found that the ZipDee shades make a big improvement when trying to stay cool. Our 34' Excella has a single A/C unit but when the awnings go out the indoor temp is much more manageable. We have the full surround set of awnings and while the top still heats up the lower half, when in shade, can be cooled by the breezes. Downside is the wind. So far we have been fortunate not to test the structural integrity of the awnings but they have looked like wings of eagles at times. On days we can't deploy the wings we feel like foil-wrapped baked potatoes. We adjust our expectations at that point.
Karmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Adding a 2nd AC typically involves converting to 50 amp electrical service. This is the (very) expensive part.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You CAN add a small window unit and run the cord to the 20 amp plug on the post. Just open the flat front or rear window, remove the window screen and make a mount/surround for the unit that fits into the frame. It is hillbilly chic, but leave it home in moderate weather and have a heavy duty extension cord
Old 06-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Adding a 2nd A/C does not require you to upgrade to 50amp plus a new multi unit controller. The option is to run this unit as a stand-alone unit with it's own dedicated circuit. Reduces the install cost. My connection for it is at the rear bumper.

Here in TX we run at least one A/C 24 hrs per day. And while we are on this thread don't expect your refrigerator to cool the same as your house frig either. The heat inside the trailer coming off the road is significant and the poor 'ol thing just can't keep up. But if your tires are square and you don't ever come out of the park and you are always cool inside then that helps with the external cooling forces that work against the frig keeping up. Or said another way...you come off the road with the internal temp in the trailer at nearly 100 deg did you really expect the frig to be at 40 deg? It struggles. This is normal.