Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mission , Texas
AC Solution

We turn on the AC when it gets above 90 and leave for Happy Hour in a nice cool bar/restaurant. A long tall cool one & dinner then about 2 hrs later we return to a cooler AS.
Welcome to global warming!
ghamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Yes, something is not right. Though I traded in my 25' FC with one A/C for the reason it would not cool the bedroom, I had Non ducted A/C. My 30 footer with 2 A/C's through ducted vents can cool the trailer quite well with only one unit running. I do this frequently when running on 2 Honda generators. If my 30' footer can get cool with one A/C, then so should a 25 footer. Have it checked under warranty. Rear and street side awnings definitely help.e
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #23
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Air conditioner not powerful enough or what?

Something is not working. I have a 25 with one AC and have been camped at over 95 for a couple weeks...you should see a 10-15 degree drop in about two hours. Call the dealer or repair person.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota

I also have a 25-ft FC (2016) and have been traveling through southern California for the last week, soon to head into Nevada, Daytime temps reaching 108. After traveling half or all the day with the trailer closed up, the inside temperatures have been around 100 when I set up camp. I have one AC unit and while it takes 4 or 5 hours to cool the trailer, it will get down the temp down to the low 70s by bedtime. I pulled into Lone Pine today and the inside was 102, same as outside. It is now 73. And if you are staying in one location for several days, leave the AC turned on set to you preferred temp or you'll have to start all over again. I was going to boondock this week - not a chance - gotta plug in. Also, as others have said, try to set up with shade during the day if you can.
Good Luck
DL
Dlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Frankyfrank: Pull, they are held in on the ends by metal tabs. Simply pull them straight down, I doubt you could hurt them. When out I pull ours once a week, vacuum them, then wash them and let them air dry before putting them back in. They are cheap, flimsy pieces of foam, but they stop a lot of dust from getting into the system as ours are always very dirty.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
do you have 1 ac or 2? one is not enough for your size unit in my opinion

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Cleaning the filters in the Classic: there are two stainless steel extensions on each end of the short sides of the intake grate. The trick is to get something thin (and strong) that you can use to depress them. Once you get a bit of leverage you should be able to carefully work the grate from the roof. Don't be surprised at how filthy they are. If I'm using the A/C for a couple of days in a row, they collect a fair amount of dirt.
Thank You
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Our 27fb has one ac unit. We live in Colorado and camp there quite a bit. When we went out last time during a heat wave we had trouble keeping the AS cool. We cleaned the vent filters and noticed the aluminum lining above the vents was installed incorrectly. We fixed that problem and then removed the vent covers over the table and were amazed at the air flow. The trailer cooled down very quickly with outside temps at 98 and parked in full sun. We have talked about trying to get new vent covers. The AS ones really cut down on the airflow. Try taking yours off to see if that helps. The air coming out of the vents was very cold so there is nothing wrong with the ac unit. I think it is a problem (in our unit) with the air flow blocking vent covers. Take one off and look at how much air is blocked.
MHammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Just FYI: While removing the intake air vent covers I flipped one out right into my husbands face. (We were facing each other looking up.) The sharp edge cut his face a bit. So be careful when removing them!
MHammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
And for those of us with the nonducted roof air, I removed the air distribution box part of the ac inside of the Airstream. The airflow is much more noticeable. Only problem is, the airflow is straight down. Doesn't look too pretty either. Other advantage is the airflow wasn't as loud with the part installed. Might have to try build a better mousetrap that the wife will be happy with.
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One really stupid solution: Plug in fans.

You react to temperature, but you also react to "wind speed". This is especially true when you come in all sweaty from outdoors. A $12 plug in fan from Walmart will do wonders for your comfort level compared to the air flow out of any of the AC units. They are energy efficient enough that they don't bother the math of a 30A hookup .... I have empirical data on all of this

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #32
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
With the interior cover off, check to see if there are any seams that can leak intake air into the output air or visa / versa. Seal suspect areas up with silver foil tape. That will maximize the efficiency of your unit. Also check & clean all filters.
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I had a 25' with a single air conditioner. In very hot weather it would not cool the interior sufficiently. As stated, everything inside is hot and need to be cooled. Let the air run 24/7 if you are a few days in the same place.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #34
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
I had a 25' with a single air conditioner. In very hot weather it would not cool the interior sufficiently. As stated, everything inside is hot and need to be cooled. Let the air run 24/7 if you are a few days in the same place.
Hi greenflag, did you have ducted air? It makes a big difference.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I think it's not doing the job. My old 75' ac would blow ice cubes, I wanted something quite snd more streamlined, so I installed a Dometic low profile, big mistake! Works the same as yours, I hate it! It's noisy and really doesn't work.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Aluminum faced window covering is a great idea that I plan to start on soon. You have a problem with the AC unit if I had a guess. I suggest a nearby RV dealership or call the manufacturers 800 number.
BTW: if you're at a full hookup park why not leave the AC set at 75 so it's not heat soaked when you come back.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #37
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Something is wrong.

Totally agree. On my new 2017 the 15k Dometic AC unit stopped producing cold air after 6 days of use.

Everything seemed ok (it would start, compressor would kick on, no errors on the CCC2 control panel ) but it would simply not produce cold air. The air coming out of the vents should be COLD, mine was "room temperature".

Freon leak was the issue. Unit was replaced under warrantee.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Frankyfrank: Pull, they are held in on the ends by metal tabs. Simply pull them straight down, I doubt you could hurt them. When out I pull ours once a week, vacuum them, then wash them and let them air dry before putting them back in. They are cheap, flimsy pieces of foam, but they stop a lot of dust from getting into the system as ours are always very dirty.
Thank you guys,
Last night I slid a small flat piece of steel in the small slot and got it pulled down where I could grab it and get it out all the way. I bent the tabs a bit so it easier to remove next time. Yep they were dirty alright. First time in 4 months they got cleaned.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One really stupid solution: Plug in fans.

You react to temperature, but you also react to "wind speed". This is especially true when you come in all sweaty from outdoors. A $12 plug in fan from Walmart will do wonders for your comfort level compared to the air flow out of any of the AC units. They are energy efficient enough that they don't bother the math of a 30A hookup .... I have empirical data on all of this

Bob
For GP: a fairly big dehumidifier for the non-desert areas. Mines floorstanding.

And fans. I have two oscillating table fans of about 8". Set so that blow air back towards AC intake.

The one in the front of my TT is just across from doorway (most of which leak, and open the door in the hottest time of year and expect AC performance to plateau. Or go backwards.). Fans really do make a difference on side-to-side and top to bottom cooling.

The dehumidifier takes a load off the AC. The fans help both to do their job more effectively.

Reflectix cut for all windows. Install so that a few windows admit light and the outside view. Covers for ceiling vents as well.

Afternoon shade is obligatory. AC can keep up till almost noon on 100F days, but best to hit early Happy Hour about 2-pm.

Two AC units is pretty well mandatory, is the thought. It's about options in their use, not just enormous BTU modification.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #40
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Maybe this is obvious, if so, I apologize:

If running a dehumidifier, turn it off at mid day. It's dumping heat into the space you are trying to cool. Flip it back on at dinner time. Unless you are dashing in and out of the door a lot, the humidity isn't going to climb massively in four to six hours.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote