Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Adding a Thermostat to Dometic Penguin II Air Conditioner and Furnace – Part 2

If you're interested - - see Part 1 at "Adding a Thermostat to Dometic Penguin II Air Conditioner"

This is how I added a digital thermostat to control the furnace and air conditioner in my Bambi Sport 16RB. It works almost perfectly! The thermostat does what you expect – turns the furnace on and off, turns air conditioner on and off based on the heat and cool settings. It is wonderful to have the trailer at the temperature I want.

What makes it “almost perfect”, is that you have to select either Heat Mode or Cool Mode on the thermostat. It would be perfect if you could simply set a heat temp and a cool temp and the thermostat would figure out which appliance to turn on. Oh well – First world problem. This is a huge improvement over than the horrible Dometic analog furnace thermostat that came in my Airstream.

My 2018 16RB is a non-ducted Dometic Penguin II Air Conditioner “jet engine". Works ok, but damn it's loud. I wanted to hook it up to a digital thermostat because the lousy little turn-it-a-little-colder, turn-it-a-little-warmer knob on the AC is a piece of crap. I wanted a thermostat so I can set a temperature and leave it alone. I also wanted the thermostat to control the furnace - replacing the cheap, shitty Dometic craphole analog thermostat.

The parts I purchased ...
Thermostat - Honeywell TH1110DV1009 Pro 1000 .
Battery powered. Has Heat mode and Cool mode. It has an interesting feature where it won't turn on the AC until the AC has been off for at least 5 minutes - this is to protect the compressor. The thermostat's heat mode will control the furnace.

Relay - 12VDC coil, 277VAC 30amp contacts, normally open.

5 feet of 2 wire 20 gauge wire. Like lamp cord but thinner.
2 feet of 14 gauge stranded wire
A few wire nuts (I used Wago connectors because I like them, typical wire nuts would work just as well)
4 “Flag” style 1/4” female spade connectors (2 for 20 gauge wire, 2 for 14 gauge wire)
1 rubber grommet 3/8” OD x 1/4” ID x 1/16” groove
1 foot of 1/2” flexible, split wire cover/protector
1 foot of 1/2” channel wire cover/protector

Disclaimer – Honestly appraise your own skills and knowledge. This is a medium difficult installation that took about 2 hours to complete. If this installation exceeds your abilities, stop, do not proceed. These notes roughly cover what I did. It worked. I don’t know if you can do this. I don’t know if it will work on your particular RV. I am not a professional. I’m not responsible for the consequences of your actions. I’m not responsible for any error, omission, lack of clarity, nor confusion in these notes. This installation has not been submitted to, reviewed by, nor approved by Dometic, nor anybody else. But it worked for me.
I’m a knucklehead that knows just enough to get myself in trouble. But, I’m pretty good with my hands, using tools, and fixing stuff around my house. I’m comfortable with electrical wiring, and the disassembly/reassembly of things. Proceed at your own risk. Enough said.

These are not step-by-step instructions. They’re generalized, rough notes to give an idea of what I did.

Before and After wiring diagrams …..
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Thermostat beforeafter.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	374620

Installation Notes in 2018 Bambi Sport 16RB ….
Preparation

1. DISCONNECT ALL POWER FROM THE AIRSTREAM – UNPLUG THE SHORE POWER AND TURN OFF OR DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES.
2. Remove Air Conditioner’s air distribution cover (about 10 screws), pull off the 2 knobs.
3. Remove the metal cover where the 120VAC power wire connects to the Air Conditioner.
4. Disconnect and remove the cheap, shitty Dometic craphole analog thermostat. Then beat the hell out of it with a sledgehammer so it can never be used again! What a POS!
5. Remove the plastic housing on the inside of the closet that covers the wires to the thermostat and bedroom light switch.
6. Light in closet – remove lens, dismount from wall, disconnect from power wires.
The wire to the light is in a flexible, split plastic tubing that was loose in the closet. I drilled a 1/2” in the top of the plastic housing (removed in Step 5) and ran the plastic tubing up through that plastic housing.

Name:	AC Thermostat 5.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	374626

7. Figure out how to route the 20 gauge wire through the top of the closet to the AC.
Mine had a tiny gap between the wooden piece above the closet door and the ceiling where I could fish the wire through. In the top of the closet, a bunch of wires run through a hole in the ceiling. I wanted to fish the wire through that hole to the AC. But failed. So, instead, I routed the wire tight against the ceiling.

12VDC Circuit
8. Mount the relay. See the picture for where I mounted it.
9. Run the 2-wire 20 gauge wire from the relay thru the closet, down the closet wall and thru the thermostat hole in closet wall. Leave lots of excess wire.
10. At the relay, connect wires to relay with female spade connectors.
11. At the light in closet, cut 1 (NOT both) of the 2 wires. Connect 1 end with the -12V power wire, connect the other end with the other +12V power wire. It doesn’t matter which wire is connected to which.
12. At the thermostat, REMOVE AND DISCARD THE RC to R JUMPER. Insert 1 wire in the Rc connector, insert the other wire in the Y connector. It doesn’t matter which wire goes in Rc or Y.
13. The furnace wires connect to R and W.

Name:	AC Thermostat 2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	374622

14. Position and mount the thermostat backing plate. I wanted to position the new thermostat to cover the screw holes from the old thermo-****. To make this happen I had a grind a little channel in the wall to allow the wires to bend and fit into the new thermostat.

Name:	AC Thermostat 1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	374621

120VAC Circuit

15. Disconnect the black 120V wire from the black air conditioner wire. Leave white wires connected.
16. Run two 14-gauge wires from relay to that little metal box where the 120V power connects to the air conditioner.
17. Connect wires to relay using female spade connectors.
18. Wire nut 1 wire to the black hot 120V wire. Wire nut the other wire to the black wire from the air conditioner.

Name:	AC Thermostat 3a.jpg
Views:	986
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	374623

Finish
19. Recheck everything to ensure good solid connections, safe wire routing, etc.
20. Reinstall metal cover at power source to air conditioner. I filed a notch in the side of the cover, slide the 2 new wires through a rubber grommet, installed the cover with the grommet in the notch to protect the wires.
21. Reinstall everything.
22. Cover any exposed wire in flexible, split wire protector or channel wire protector.
23. Double check everything to ensure accurate, safe installation.
24. Connect/turn on batteries and shore power
25. Test thermostat to control furnace
26. Using knobs on air conditioner, turn air conditioner to ON and full cold. Test thermostat to control air conditioner.
27. Jump up and down in joy and yell “Whoo Hoo”.
28. Wrap up the old thermostat you smashed in Step 4, mail it to Airstream and tell them to quit putting a shitty $5 product in these crazy expensive trailers.

Name:	AC Thermostat 4a.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	374624
Runamuk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Great work and thanks for sharing!
Old 05-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #3
Little Silver Nugget ™

2020 16' Bambi
Warren , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk13 View Post
If you're interested - - see Part 1 at "Adding a Thermostat to Dometic Penguin II Air Conditioner"

This is how I added a digital thermostat to control the furnace and air conditioner in my Bambi Sport 16RB. It works almost perfectly! The thermostat does what you expect – turns the furnace on and off, turns air conditioner on and off based on the heat and cool settings. It is wonderful to have the trailer at the temperature I want.

What makes it “almost perfect”, is that you have to select either Heat Mode or Cool Mode on the thermostat. It would be perfect if you could simply set a heat temp and a cool temp and the thermostat would figure out which appliance to turn on. Oh well – First world problem. This is a huge improvement over than the horrible Dometic analog furnace thermostat that came in my Airstream.

My 2018 16RB is a non-ducted Dometic Penguin II Air Conditioner “jet engine". Works ok, but damn it's loud. I wanted to hook it up to a digital thermostat because the lousy little turn-it-a-little-colder, turn-it-a-little-warmer knob on the AC is a piece of crap. I wanted a thermostat so I can set a temperature and leave it alone. I also wanted the thermostat to control the furnace - replacing the cheap, shitty Dometic craphole analog thermostat.

The parts I purchased ...
Thermostat - Honeywell TH1110DV1009 Pro 1000 .
Battery powered. Has Heat mode and Cool mode. It has an interesting feature where it won't turn on the AC until the AC has been off for at least 5 minutes - this is to protect the compressor. The thermostat's heat mode will control the furnace.

Relay - 12VDC coil, 277VAC 30amp contacts, normally open.

5 feet of 2 wire 20 gauge wire. Like lamp cord but thinner.
2 feet of 14 gauge stranded wire
A few wire nuts (I used Wago connectors because I like them, typical wire nuts would work just as well)
4 “Flag” style 1/4” female spade connectors (2 for 20 gauge wire, 2 for 14 gauge wire)
1 rubber grommet 3/8” OD x 1/4” ID x 1/16” groove
1 foot of 1/2” flexible, split wire cover/protector
1 foot of 1/2” channel wire cover/protector

Disclaimer – Honestly appraise your own skills and knowledge. This is a medium difficult installation that took about 2 hours to complete. If this installation exceeds your abilities, stop, do not proceed. These notes roughly cover what I did. It worked. I don’t know if you can do this. I don’t know if it will work on your particular RV. I am not a professional. I’m not responsible for the consequences of your actions. I’m not responsible for any error, omission, lack of clarity, nor confusion in these notes. This installation has not been submitted to, reviewed by, nor approved by Dometic, nor anybody else. But it worked for me.
I’m a knucklehead that knows just enough to get myself in trouble. But, I’m pretty good with my hands, using tools, and fixing stuff around my house. I’m comfortable with electrical wiring, and the disassembly/reassembly of things. Proceed at your own risk. Enough said.

These are not step-by-step instructions. They’re generalized, rough notes to give an idea of what I did.

Before and After wiring diagrams …..
Attachment 374620

Installation Notes in 2018 Bambi Sport 16RB ….
Preparation

1. DISCONNECT ALL POWER FROM THE AIRSTREAM – UNPLUG THE SHORE POWER AND TURN OFF OR DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES.
2. Remove Air Conditioner’s air distribution cover (about 10 screws), pull off the 2 knobs.
3. Remove the metal cover where the 120VAC power wire connects to the Air Conditioner.
4. Disconnect and remove the cheap, shitty Dometic craphole analog thermostat. Then beat the hell out of it with a sledgehammer so it can never be used again! What a POS!
5. Remove the plastic housing on the inside of the closet that covers the wires to the thermostat and bedroom light switch.
6. Light in closet – remove lens, dismount from wall, disconnect from power wires.
The wire to the light is in a flexible, split plastic tubing that was loose in the closet. I drilled a 1/2” in the top of the plastic housing (removed in Step 5) and ran the plastic tubing up through that plastic housing.
Attachment 374626

7. Figure out how to route the 20 gauge wire through the top of the closet to the AC.
Mine had a tiny gap between the wooden piece above the closet door and the ceiling where I could fish the wire through. In the top of the closet, a bunch of wires run through a hole in the ceiling. I wanted to fish the wire through that hole to the AC. But failed. So, instead, I routed the wire tight against the ceiling.

12VDC Circuit
8. Mount the relay. See the picture for where I mounted it.
9. Run the 2-wire 20 gauge wire from the relay thru the closet, down the closet wall and thru the thermostat hole in closet wall. Leave lots of excess wire.
10. At the relay, connect wires to relay with female spade connectors.
11. At the light in closet, cut 1 (NOT both) of the 2 wires. Connect 1 end with the -12V power wire, connect the other end with the other +12V power wire. It doesn’t matter which wire is connected to which.
12. At the thermostat, REMOVE AND DISCARD THE RC to R JUMPER. Insert 1 wire in the Rc connector, insert the other wire in the Y connector. It doesn’t matter which wire goes in Rc or Y.
13. The furnace wires connect to R and W.
Attachment 374622

14. Position and mount the thermostat backing plate. I wanted to position the new thermostat to cover the screw holes from the old thermo-****. To make this happen I had a grind a little channel in the wall to allow the wires to bend and fit into the new thermostat.

Attachment 374621

120VAC Circuit

15. Disconnect the black 120V wire from the black air conditioner wire. Leave white wires connected.
16. Run two 14-gauge wires from relay to that little metal box where the 120V power connects to the air conditioner.
17. Connect wires to relay using female spade connectors.
18. Wire nut 1 wire to the black hot 120V wire. Wire nut the other wire to the black wire from the air conditioner.
Attachment 374623

Finish
19. Recheck everything to ensure good solid connections, safe wire routing, etc.
20. Reinstall metal cover at power source to air conditioner. I filed a notch in the side of the cover, slide the 2 new wires through a rubber grommet, installed the cover with the grommet in the notch to protect the wires.
21. Reinstall everything.
22. Cover any exposed wire in flexible, split wire protector or channel wire protector.
23. Double check everything to ensure accurate, safe installation.
24. Connect/turn on batteries and shore power
25. Test thermostat to control furnace
26. Using knobs on air conditioner, turn air conditioner to ON and full cold. Test thermostat to control air conditioner.
27. Jump up and down in joy and yell “Whoo Hoo”.
28. Wrap up the old thermostat you smashed in Step 4, mail it to Airstream and tell them to quit putting a shitty $5 product in these crazy expensive trailers.

Attachment 374624

Thanks for the note!
rossijfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Sevierville , Tennessee
Runamuk13 is the BEST!

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to document this major upgrade! Following your guidance, I was able to hook up my standalone Domestic AC to a thermostat in my 2017 Sport 22FB.

I started by purchasing the relay and thermostat you mentioned. I was also able to hide the wires from the unit to the thermostat by drilling a couple of holes and using a fiberglass rod.

Once it was all working, I purchased a smart thermostat (EasyTouchRV 352 from MicroAir). The instructions aren't very clear for this custom installation, but I finally got it working. Now I can set a temperature or range and the thermostat will automatically turn on the heat or air when needed. I can also control remotely from my phone.

Very happy camper!
Brian
bthomas815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Thanks for the kind words, BThomas815 (and welcome to the Forum).
I going to look into the EasyTouchRV 352 thermostat. Using that thermostat makes this upgrade "perfect"!

I've been enjoying this upgrade for about a year and half. Using it in both the cold of winter and heat of summer. It has worked amazingly well. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come.

Bill (Runamuk13)
Old 05-05-2022, 08:15 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Sevierville , Tennessee
Thanks for the welcome. This is a terrific forum.

We have smart thermostats in our house and wanted the same functionality in our camper. I was excited to find your post and then to learn about the EasyTouchRV 352.

A couple of notes from my install: the thermostat will need 12v power, but I ran that from the closet light.

Page 7 of the online manual will tell you what you need to know about hooking it up. Since the thermostat has 12v power, you only need one wire from the AC and one wire from the furnace.

http://www.micro-air.com/support-doc...Manual_1.4.pdf

We travel with our dog. This system gives us remote access and peace of mind while we're out.

All the best, Brian
Old 06-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lakeland , FL
Hello, I have the system all wired up but nothing is happening. I let the 5 minute cycle do its thing and silence. Did you wire the relay and thermostat into the back of the light or into the light switch next to the bed that controls the overhead lighting over the bed?

Thank you for putting this together. I really appreciate it, just need to figure out why this relay isn't kicking on. If you have a photo of where you wired it up in the closet that would help me a ton. Thanks again
TheCopperCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
TheCopperCog,

I wired the thermostat to the back of the light that is in our closet. It has constant 12V. It provides constant 12V to the Y terminal of the thermostat.

When the thermostat goes into Cool mode, it connects the Rc terminal to the Y terminal, now there's 12V at the Rc terminal and through wires to the relay.

The 12V side of the relay closes which also closes the 120VAC side of the relay and shazam, the air conditioner comes on (assuming of course that it's control knobs are in the On position).

Bill (Runamuk13)
Old 06-07-2022, 04:15 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lakeland , FL
Thank you for hitting me back so quickly. I'm pretty sure I did exactly this. I have a 22 Bambi RB and everything in here is LED and I think the voltage might be a bit different. Anyways, like you I am not a certified electrician, I am going to have to wait till I get home and can get a meter on this thing. Currently, I am digging through tons of posts to figure out where else I can tap in or if it is a case of me being a stupid monkey 🤷*♂️ I will update my findings when I figure this out. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lakeland , FL
The link you have for the relay send us to six different options. one of them is the 277vac 30 amp, but it is 120v. This is the one I picked up and I think it might be the problem. I was looking for the "277vac" as it was a unique name in the provided options. Is the link below the correct one? If so could you please let me know?

Anfukone T92P7D22-12 Relay E-Mech Power DPST-NO Cur-Rtg 30A Ctrl-V 12DC Vol-Rtg 120/277AC
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087LS74T7...t_details&th=1

Hope all is well. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:21 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
TheCopperCog,

Here's a picture of my relay mounted in my air conditioning unit. If you zoom in, you'll see the model number = T92S7D22-12

Looking at Amazon, it appears the S7D22 has been replaced with the P7D22

FYI: The white wires run to my thermostat. The blue wires run to the air conditioner.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Bill (Runamuk13)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220608_085350.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	417137  
Old 06-08-2022, 02:52 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lakeland , FL
BILL, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! Thank you a ton! And thank you for the photo! - Andrew
Old 06-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lakeland , FL
I DID IT!! Thank you so much Bill! After going through three relays the last time around was SUPER easy! This is a game changer!
Old 06-13-2022, 02:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
That's Fantastic News, TheCopperCog!
Congratulations!
It is a nice upgrade that you'll enjoy. It'll bring a smile to your face every time you use it.

For future reference, what's the model number of the relay you finally end up with?

Enjoy,
Runamuk13
Old 06-14-2022, 08:06 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Sevierville , Tennessee
Relay Part Number

Hey guys,

Congrats to TheCopperCog for getting everything working. I'm so thankful for Runamuk13 for his original post and other posts in this thread to give additional guidance.

I ran into the same issue initially of ordering the wrong relay. As has be noted, the Amazon link leads to a collection of relays; the default relay that shows up is not the right one.

I finally got the correct one. The relay I bought looks identical to the one that Runamuk13 shows in his photos. The product title on Amazon is: Arfukone T92P7D22-12 Relay E-Mech Power DPST-NO Cur-Rig 30A Ctrl-V 12DC Vol-Rtg 120/277AC.

Mine is still working like a charm. We love it!

Brian
Old 08-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #16

2022 16' Basecamp
2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
BROOKSVILLE , Florida
Wiring question

Are there 2 different wiring options?
12vdc and 120v
Trike187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:35 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike187 View Post
Are there 2 different wiring options?
12vdc and 120v
There are not 2 different "options". The installation requires 2 different circuits to make it work.

The 12VDC circuit is controlled by the thermostat.
The 120VAC circuit is controlled by the relay.

Think of the relay as an on/off switch. When the "switch" is on, 120VAC is provided to the air conditioner, which turns on, is loud as hell, cools you down, everyone is happy. When the "switch" is off, there is no power to the air conditioner.

The 12VDC circuit that tells the relay to turn on or off.

You can also think of the thermostat as an on/off switch. When the thermostat says "it's getting hot in here" it turns on. When it turns on, it provides power on the 12VDC circuit, that turns on the relay, then the relay turns on the air conditioner.

Hopefully this helps.
Runamuk13
Old 08-12-2022, 08:49 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Sevierville , Tennessee
Update

Great explanation Runamuk13.

I wanted to give an update on my '17 Sport 22FB that has the mod discussed in this thread. We originally purchased it to use for personal trips and planned to set it up as an Airbnb when we weren't using it. However, after spending 50 nights in it so far this year, we decided to purchase another airstream ('21 Globetrotter 25FB) and set up our Sport as a full-time rental. It has been a huge success and has been booked at 100% since being online.

Being able to control the AC with a smart thermostat has been a huge help in making temperature control simple for our guests.

All the best,
Brian
Old 11-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Daphne , Alabama
Thanks for creating this post! I was able to accomplish this with my 2017 sport 22 FB with no issues. I made the following changes which made my particular install a little easier.

1. I put the relay in the electrical/fuse box/converter area. I interrupted the connection coming from the 20A breaker in there rather than at the roof AC.

2. I ran 12V power from the fuse panel to my thermostat and added a 5 amp fuse. I was able to wire the thermostat wiring through the closet and along the wall which prevented me from having to fish any wires from or to the AC area (I didn’t go in the AC area at all). I drilled one hole in the bottom of the closet along the wall to route the wiring.

Hope this helps.
Rockkrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:10 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2022 19' Bambi
Northeastern , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockkrawlin View Post
Thanks for creating this post! I was able to accomplish this with my 2017 sport 22 FB with no issues. I made the following changes which made my particular install a little easier.

1. I put the relay in the electrical/fuse box/converter area. I interrupted the connection coming from the 20A breaker in there rather than at the roof AC.

2. I ran 12V power from the fuse panel to my thermostat and added a 5 amp fuse. I was able to wire the thermostat wiring through the closet and along the wall which prevented me from having to fish any wires from or to the AC area (I didn’t go in the AC area at all). I drilled one hole in the bottom of the closet along the wall to route the wiring.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing. I was just thinking of doing something similar for my 19cb. Do you know what relay you used? There’s one on Amazon that has a built in 24v transformer, so you wouldn’t have to tie into your DC system.

Aube Technologies RC840T-120 Electromechanical Relay with Built In Relay
DarthBrader is offline   Reply With Quote