Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2024, 03:30 PM   #1

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Port Ludlow , Washington
AC Vents

Has anyone purchased and installed the air vents from Upstream Outfitters. The idea looks good, but can't find any reviews.
We are trying to get increased airflow for the AC in a 27 FB. Have looked at several alternatives.
Tug Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
I did not purchase those but these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096FLQCGV

Took off the screen and replaced the ones from Airstream. Not perfect, don't really rotate 360 but they are adjusted and work well. I also purchased a 3rd air return in the ceiling. A bit of sheet metal work but much happier with the A/C airflow in our 25'.

Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 09:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Olive Branch , Mississippi
I just replaced all the vents in mine (9) with erPods. Overall the flow has increased 22% at individual vents. More importantly now I can feel the air when sitting at the lounge area and in bed.
os1r1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 09:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Hey Tug- I just installed 8 of the Upfitter vents with dampers this past weekend and will try them out this coming. Will post back on how much they improve airflow. Install was easy and they appear original, which I like.
AJ in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 05:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Huntington Beach , California
We have the ErPods from AirKrafters too and we love them. Significantly increased airflow, easy to direct, can adjust flow at each vent and they look great!
Slvr_Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 06:00 AM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusNW View Post
I did not purchase those but these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096FLQCGV

Took off the screen and replaced the ones from Airstream. Not perfect, don't really rotate 360 but they are adjusted and work well. I also purchased a 3rd air return in the ceiling. A bit of sheet metal work but much happier with the A/C airflow in our 25'.

Steve
I pretty much did the same thing as Steve (with the exception of the adding another return vent). They are adjustable and work well. Greatly increased the airflow.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2024 28' Flying Cloud
Jackson , New Jersey
Did you guys replace all the registers or just a select few? These things are quite spending for one. The design looks far superior than stock Airstream, however.

Ordered: 2024 FC 28RBT, currently at the dealer !

S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:28 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
I replaced all my vents. Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Captain View Post
Has anyone purchased and installed the air vents from Upstream Outfitters. The idea looks good, but can't find any reviews.
We are trying to get increased airflow for the AC in a 27 FB. Have looked at several alternatives.
I bought 4 of the "Non-adjustable" version. It's a plastic ring that attaches in the existing hole and then the original chrome slotted vent screws onto that with a #10 fastener.
His method of attaching the ring was so clever, I gave up on making my own.
The adjustable ones seemed to require too many rotations of the vent to open the mechanism inside. (IMO) I never closed mine, it was always "open" to "wide open" so my plan was to remove the 'guts' but keep the vent cover and attach it using a toggle type clamp inside. His does a better job and accomplishes the same thing.

If you look closely, one tab is fixed and the other two rotate on nylock nuts. You turn those in, insert the device in the hole and turn the screw, thus flipping the tabs out locking them in the ceiling. There's some adjustment to accommodate different thicknesses, and the final step is to attach the original cover using the #10 screw included. Nice rubber gasket to seal.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
Did you guys replace all the registers or just a select few? These things are quite spending for one. The design looks far superior than stock Airstream, however.
I did 4 of the Upland Outfitters. That's because 4 is the number of vents that constantly fell out. I have 10 total vents and it adds up to replace all ten.
Old 06-11-2024, 08:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2024 28' Flying Cloud
Jackson , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I bought 4 of the "Non-adjustable" version. It's a plastic ring that attaches in the existing hole and then the original chrome slotted vent screws onto that with a #10 fastener.
The adjustable ones seemed to require too many rotations of the vent to open the mechanism inside. (IMO) I never closed mine, it was always "open" to "wide open" so my plan was to remove the 'guts' but keep the vent cover and attach it using a toggle type clamp inside. His does a better job and accomplishes the same thing.

If you look closely, one tab is fixed and the other two rotate on nylock nuts. You turn those in, insert the device in the hole and turn the screw, thus flipping the tabs out locking them in the ceiling. There's some adjustment to accommodate different thicknesses, and the final step is to attach the original cover using the #10 screw included. Nice rubber gasket to seal.
I was wondering the same thing; the spinning mechanism to close the adjustable ones seemed like something Id do once or twice and then say screw it. Or, given its wide range of adjustability, Id screw around w/ them endlessly looking for the perfect combo. I know myself; simpler is better.

Why did you only replace 4? Was it a cost consideration or was there another reason?

Ordered: 2024 FC 28RBT, currently at the dealer !

S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 11:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing; the spinning mechanism to close the adjustable ones seemed like something I’d do once or twice and then say screw it. Or, given its wide range of adjustability, I’d screw around w/ them endlessly looking for the perfect combo. I know myself; simpler is better.

Why did you only replace 4? Was it a cost consideration or was there another reason?
In my case it was simply cost. I had made one of my own design that took some effort to make but was functional. I also have most vents that have never fallen out, and air flow was not my main motivation. BTW, his adjustable operate by turning the outer chrome vent. One revolution equals one thread on the #10 fastener. So you might turn 50 times to fully open or close and that didn't appeal to me.
My design was kinda crude but effective and eliminated a lot of the plastic parts in the OEM vent.

The 'toggle' crosspiece was made using a 3/8" square stock aluminum drilled and tapped for the #10 screw.
I basically put the toggle in the hole and tighten the screw until it's tight. Looks stock. The downside was bending the bar to look professionally made which I couldn't do. I put it in a vice and hammered it, leaving lots of dings and blivets. I know, it's inside the duct, but that's where 3-D printing is better.
Sorry for the term paper when you asked about cost. Yes!
Old 06-11-2024, 12:26 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Olive Branch , Mississippi
I replaced all of mine. Originally I was just going to replace the bedroom and dinette ones, but didn't like the asymmetry. They sometimes have discounts if you call.

Quote:
os1r1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 05:38 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Huntington Beach , California
We replaced all except the one in the bathroom because its a separate room (door always closed and didnt need more airflow there
Slvr_Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 06:59 AM   #15
19 Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:

Nice explanation.

Im still not clear on what these are called and who sells them. Would you happen to have a direct link to this product?
Old 06-12-2024, 07:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeCamper View Post
Nice explanation.

Im still not clear on what these are called and who sells them. Would you happen to have a direct link to this product?
Sure.
BTW, I have no affiliation with Upstream Outfitters. I had made a post somewhere about my idea, and he responded asking that I take a look at his. I assume he's a one man band with a 3-D printer.
https://shop.upstream-outfitters.com
Old 06-12-2024, 07:24 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeCamper View Post
Nice explanation.

Here is the link
https://shop.upstream-outfitters.com

608-237-1542
hello@upstream-outfitters.com

Anybody know of a discount code? Thx
Rick #28279
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 03:12 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Calhoun , NE
Quote:
BTW, his adjustable operate by turning the outer chrome vent. One revolution equals one thread on the #10 fastener. So you might turn 50 times to fully open or close and that didn't appeal to me.
Maybe he changed the design from when you installed. I installed two of the adjustable units earlier this week. Turning the chrome vent turns a 3D printed acme-like screw inside so it takes maybe 10 turns to fully close the vent when it is fully open. I'm quite happy with the way they operate and look but I don't have a trip until next week to see how they really work out.
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 08:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
I installed two erPods: one in each zone. They are high quality and increase airflow considerably. At $145 ea it doesnt make sense to me to replace all 10 vents.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 01:53 PM   #20
GB

2016 27' International
1997 34' Limited
Saint Cloud , Florida
following

"Everyone buys on emotion and justifies with logic.
That is why I own 2 Airstreams... I needed them."
gblackburn is offline   Reply With Quote