Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2023, 10:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
weyers cave , Virginia
AC unit has small leak when it rains

Hello everyone. I have a 2003 25-foot Safari, which has served us very well. There are a few leaks here and there, but all were correctable. More recently, I have noticed water slowly dripping in the interior ceiling from the front of the Dometic Duo-Therm Penguin AC unit. The unit still works well. The condensation drip tube is working as evidenced by a steady flow of water when the unit is in AC mode.

When I remove the two filters, I can see the two forward bolts holding the AC unit onto the ceiling. But I can't see the two posterior bolts. I want to tighten them all to see if that helps the leak.

What do I need to do to get to the other two bolts? If there are even two posterior bolts?

This only happens when it rains. I have yet to get on top of the trailer to see if the shroud is cracked. I replaced it about 8 years ago, as cracks developed where the holding screws held the shroud to the outside unit.

thanks for any help in the next steps of diagnosis and treatment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Holding bolt forward 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	437316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Holding Bolt forward 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	437317  

barticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
weyers cave , Virginia
Looking at the covering on the roof, no cracks, and it looks good. I took off the interior shroud. There were only three long screws. Two in the front and one, midline, in the back. No other holes to indicate a forgotten screw. No pieces of foil cover any open holes. My guess is that this particular Dometic model had only three screws.

They were all fairly loose, so i tightened them. Not quite to the 40-50lbs torque indicated in the manual. I will watch for further leaks and tighten as needed.
barticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 06:52 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
PM sent
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote