Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
AC replacement-options, options...

I have recently acquired a 21' 73 Globetrotter. The rooftop AC looks to be the original unit, built by Armstrong. I was optimistic that it might be repairable, but I can't get so much as a hum or buzz from it, even wiring directly to the fan and compressor. I figure with all of the other usual issues (rotting floors, leaking windows, non-working appliances), I'll just go ahead and replace the AC with a modern unit.

From reading other posts, it looks like the Penguin Duotherm is one of the only units with a drain pan compatible with my current internally plumbed condensate drainage. True?

I was originally leaning very much toward a low current draw unit (like the Coleman mach III), as I wanted the option in the future of running the unit off of a small generator. I haven't found a unit that is both low profile and low current draw. I am sure the low profile will look more aesthetic. Any recommendations?

Finally, I currently live in Houston, and most of my near-term travel will probably happen in the southern states. I figured a 13.5 BTU AC would be more than adequate for a trailer this small, plus with a larger unit, I give up the option of low current model. Any thoughts on sizing?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I have recently acquired a 21' 73 Globetrotter. The rooftop AC looks to be the original unit, built by Armstrong. I was optimistic that it might be repairable, but I can't get so much as a hum or buzz from it, even wiring directly to the fan and compressor. I figure with all of the other usual issues (rotting floors, leaking windows, non-working appliances), I'll just go ahead and replace the AC with a modern unit.

From reading other posts, it looks like the Penguin Duotherm is one of the only units with a drain pan compatible with my current internally plumbed condensate drainage. True?

I was originally leaning very much toward a low current draw unit (like the Coleman mach III), as I wanted the option in the future of running the unit off of a small generator. I haven't found a unit that is both low profile and low current draw. I am sure the low profile will look more aesthetic. Any recommendations?

Finally, I currently live in Houston, and most of my near-term travel will probably happen in the southern states. I figured a 13.5 BTU AC would be more than adequate for a trailer this small, plus with a larger unit, I give up the option of low current model. Any thoughts on sizing?
Just speaking for myself, I'd be less concerned with looks than functionality. Low-profile is nice, but low-current is better because for a given BTU capacity, you achieve low current by building a more efficient system.

Oh, and last night at 22:00 it was still over 90F here in north TX, so the REAL requirement is "AC that works!"

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
"internally plumbed condensate drainage"

This is a plastic tube. It will fit any AC drain pan. Once you pull the old AC...you will be pulling it ALL. Your new AC will have everything to set in and hook up to the elec. and drain. For just a few dollars more...maybe no more if you shop around...get a 15000. You will need it in Texas.

A low profile will do great and looks better on an Airstream. Forget about your worries about the generator. What you will need will cover any small draws. Don't obsess on things like that.

If you in Houston area...check out Palomino.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California
I am with you, David! "AC that works!" Mike

P.S. Awesome quote from Sir Winston, as well!
BlueStreakSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Just speaking for myself, I'd be less concerned with looks than functionality. Low-profile is nice, but low-current is better because for a given BTU capacity, you achieve low current by building a more efficient system.

Oh, and last night at 22:00 it was still over 90F here in north TX, so the REAL requirement is "AC that works!"
Your logic is flawless.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, this is an old thread, but since I started it, I will offer a follow-up.

I ended up going with the Penguin duo-therm low profile in a 13500 BTU rating. I am embarassed to say that I am STILL working on my rebuild of this trailer, but I have taken it out on several trips as an aluminum tent. On the first trip out, I did not have interior walls or insulation, and that was the only time the AC struggled to keep the trailer cool in the 90+ Texas heat with no shade. I honestly doubt if a 1500 BTU model would have made any difference. On subsequent trips, with interior walls and insulation, the 13500 rated AC does just fine, and will be better still when I have completed all the cabinetry and further reduced the interior space that needs to be cooled.

I bought the Airstream "standard issue" plastic drain pan that was the norm at the time, and it has worked fine to capture and funnel my condensate down the drain tube.

The only issue I have had with the AC over the years is that there are places where electrical wires pass through the "body" of the AC, and they were sealed with some kind of butyl goop that eventually sagged and allowed humid air into the interior of the AC, which then immediately condensed and dripped into my interior. I have added this to my list of maintenance items to routinely check.

I also ended up acquiring the ubiquitous pair of Honda eu2000 generators, which, as a pair, are more than adequate to run the AC, and I very rarely use them anyway.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote