Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Falcon
candler , North Carolina
Question AC or vent system??

I am new to the forum and have a question about the best way to dehumidify my 22' 59 Falcon. I live near Asheville NC and the humidity in the evenings is substantial inside the camper. I have researched fans, dehumidifiers, and ac units. I currently do not have any fans or air conditioning of any sort. My main goal is to reduce the moisture, cooling is secondary. I also want to keep the cost and weight to a minimum.

Here is my debate, do I install a:
  1. Roof-mounted AC unit and be done with it?? *or*
  2. Fantastic fan and combine it with a household-type dehumidifier?
I understand that a dehumidifier will add heat, but when combined with a roof fan I estimate that some of the heat will also be removed. My other concern with system#2 is if the camper is vented - will it work overtime to remove the humidity of air entering the cabin from outside, and use lots of power??

Thanks!!
59Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I suggest the fantastic fan, and ac unit. In my opinion, it's nice not to have to deal with something sitting on the floor. Dehumidifier, box fan, or even that extra camp tote that always seems to make it into the trailer and sit by the front door. If u can get an ac unit on top, that would be my suggestion, it's nice and out of the way when u are looking to use the trailer.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I would think using a dehumidifier and vent fan would be counter-productive. The vent fan, especially fantastic or maxx-air fans, will move a lot of air. That means it will not only expel some of the heat, but also the drier air, and pull in a fair amount of humid air, which the dehumidifier now needs to try and dry out.

If the goal is to dehumidify, install a dehumidifier and do not run the vent fan. In fact, keep the trailer closed up so it can dry out.

If the goal is living comfort, install a roof a/c unit.

Either way, a fantastic or maxx-air vent fan (or 2) is very worth while.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Falcon
candler , North Carolina
thank you

I appreciate the responses to my questions!
59Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote