Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2023, 11:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
AC leak in walls

Here is what I have diagnosed so far:
- The drain line seams clear. A good amount of water exists the drain line.
-The leak only occurs a couple hours into running the AC
-the evaporative coil drip pan is clear. As far as I can tell, so is the white plastic drip cup below the drip pan hole.
- the drip runs down the inside wall street side of the AS. Water is Present when I push on the first ceiling seam, it also runs out of the seams around the portal windows. (See photo)
- no water visible when I remove the AC vent covers
- My diagnosis is limited by visibility.
- I have had water drip out from behind the tank sensor which is now toast.
- there is a bulkhead near, my guess is water will not cross the bulkhead. It would probably drain down the bulkhead before it crossed.
- any guesses? I really don’t want to pull the AC unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6749E9A9-2A9A-436E-961E-CC6D9FF7C6C4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	426769  
Old 01-03-2023, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Stewart, you might want to check out the video from another thread about AC condensation leaks here scroll down to Post #9

Phil, the Door Guy sells a product to clean the AC condensation drains or another poster suggested using a length of weed wacker line. Someone mentioned they had to clean their six month old AS.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Stewart, you might want to check out the video from another thread about AC condensation leaks here scroll down to Post #9

Phil, the Door Guy sells a product to clean the AC condensation drains or another poster suggested using a length of weed wacker line. Someone mentioned they had to clean their six month old AS.

I don’t think it’s an issue with the drain line. Water runs out and soaks 1/3 of the rear tire.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Sounds like you’ve covered all the usual suspects. Hopefully someone else has experienced the same and can help. Good luck!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:23 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Tyrone , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Sounds like you’ve covered all the usual suspects. Hopefully someone else has experienced the same and can help. Good luck!
There are two of the white drip catch pans under each AC, one each side, they are connected with a plastic tube and a tee which feeds the plastic drain line in the wall. This tube connection is visible when air inlet grills are removed ...worth checking these connections
Black348RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
You are under warranty and these are serious leaks. Get thee to Jackson Center ASAP.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
AC detective work

Stewart: AC issues have plagued me. I’ve explored, cleaned, sealed, reset and eventually replaced my OEM Dometic Penguin II.

Let’s go one step at a time.

I see you list two trailers in your profile. Which one is misbehaving?

I’m thinking this could be exterior condensation. Here in FL, with high humidity and continuous operation, parts of the outside of the rooftop unit will condense to the point of dripping condensate onto the roof. If there is an entry point (a missing/loose roof rivet is plenty), condensate water will make it under the exterior skin. Once it’s there, it has insulation, framing and other obstacles to contend with before reappearing.

If that’s your issue, I t would make perfect sense that the AC would appear to be fine for a couple of hours before the sequence of events (cooling, dripping, entering outer skin, migrating through insulation, dripping through interior skin) caught your attention.

First questions:

1. The AC isn’t visible in your pic. Is it forward or aft of the leak? Your notes say the leak is streetside. Is the AC to the left or right in the pic?
2. If you change the pitch (lower jack to pitch hitch-end down) or roll (block up wheels on one side of the trailer), does the water appear somewhere else?
3. Can you inspect the roof on the offending side once the leak appears? Is there obvious dripping onto the roof? Can you see if the runoff crosses any suspicious areas (rivets, seams, etc.)?
4. Have you even noticed a similar leak on a rainy day w/o AC on? That would confirm that the leaking water begins its trip on the roof.

If the answers to those questions point away from a roof leak, we need to consider the possibility of a leak inside the unit but below the roof gasket or in the condensate drain tube within the wall.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Airstream - Other
Port Orchard , Washington
We had a similar leak and it turned out to be leaking around the edge of the stove exhaust. Water came in and leaked through at different places along the seam. Only happend durning severe wind and rain storms.
inthralled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Let Hope

If its not at a connection you can see when you remove the AC air screens then either its the drip tube that has been cut inside the trailer walls or its condensation running out of the duct work in the ceiling that has come undone or is cut.

un plug the AC vent line in the ceiling and plug the end. Go out under the fender well and with a hand vacuum pump ( harbor Freight ) pull a 10-15 inch vacuum in the drip hose and if it holds a vacuum then the in wall drip hose is ok ,if not it has been cut or come apart at a connection tee.

The roof leaking or a loose rivet is a interesting possibility. It sounds like a Jackson Center trip
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote