Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
AC/Heat Pump Combo

The 67 Sovereign I am refurbishing is 30 amp but after reading the daily forums today I see the newer units have AC/heat pump systems like my son's unit that has two and is 50amp. I have to replace the heating unit and my AC and having both in one would be great and the cost of these units as was talked about in the forum seems to be not so bad getting both in one unit. If I try this, will I need to up grade my 30amp unit to 50amp? It has a single line dedicated to the AC and can handle a breaker up grade to 20amp but that is about it for anymore would max out the present power system. She leaves for repairs that I can't handle very soon and I want to get as much work done on her as I need to while on such a long haul, for its best to get it done once than several trips.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
A single rooftop AC/Heat Pump unit will work fine on the existing 30 amp service in the trailer, no need to upgrade to 50 amps unless you add two rooftop units. The heat pump is basically an air conditioning compressor that "runs in reverse" and puts the heat into the trailer rather than venting it to the outside.

Your post was not clear about how the 20 amp service comes into play. If you mean that your shore power is 20 amps then yes you will have trouble running the heat pump just as you would running the AC. It might appear to work on 20 amps, but long term use of the 20 amps could damage the AC/heat pump unit and is not recommended.

Your post was also unclear as to your interest in getting rid of the propane furnace (?). Once you understand the limitations of the heat pump you will probably not want to do away with the propane furnace if that is what you are contemplating. #1 the heat pump will not provide you with any heat once the outside air temperature gets much below the low to mid-40's and #2 the heat pump needs shore power (i.e., not propane) so if you ever camp without full hookups or under 45 degrees, you will wish you had the propane furnace as well. All the trailers with the rooftop heat pump also have the propane furnace unless someone has taken the furnace out of the unit for some reason.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
A single, air/heat pump unit should work fine from a 30 amp main service to your unit. If I remember correctly, it's a 20 amp breaker in the electrical panel that supplies my air/heat pump unit.