Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2024, 04:32 PM   #1
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
AC cooling while driving down the road?

Is there a way to run an AC while going down the road? You can cool the truck - how about the AS?
Thanks,
Glenn
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Not for any amount of time. You'd need a very large battery bank and a multiplus converter/inverter because any 12V connector to the truck would be insufficient.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Theoretically, we could do it if we had a front facing shore power outlet on the trailer like I've seen some folks have, and got a good extension cord running from the ProPower in our truck to that outlet. But it would require some work, that's for sure.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Even if you could get power from a vehicle, the A/C consumes too much power (2500W or so) for any alternator. However, if you want some cooling you can get vent covers something like this, and while on the road open the vent(s) and if you have decent batteries and/or solar run the fan(s). We have the covers, but then our Fantastic Fans broke, so we never got to see how well this works. They're back in action, so we'll see this summer.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
Even if you could get power from a vehicle, the A/C consumes too much power (2500W or so) for any alternator.
With soft start, my 13,500 BTU A/C on my Flying Cloud 23CBB runs fine off the 2000W Pro Power generator in the back of my F-150. Doesn't draw 2500 watts even to start up. And F-150 Hybrids can come with up to 3600 watts on their 30 amp outlets.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
A portable generator in the bed of the TV/Truck or on a cargo carrier…or mounted on the trailer…could power the AC.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
I recall that there is a forum member from Texas whose Airstream has enough battery capacity to run an ac unit for an hour or more while towing. But that’s en extreme case.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
My answer is *yes.
*yes, because I guy I used to know from work did it with his SOB. He had the gas generator in the bed of his truck-a generator with enough capacity for his AC.
And his trailer had the front electric hook up location like our 1 AC 30 amp 2017 25 RB Flying Cloud. He would just fire up the generator and plug in his trailer and run the AC.

Now, I myself have not ever done this. But "this guy I know" did.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 04:55 AM   #9
Keys Dave

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Big Torch Key , FL
Airkrafters makes a rack for a Onan generator to fit in place of the spare tire. It runs on the propane system. The spare moves back to a new place. This will easily run the A/c. The system is not cheap but it works.
Keys Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 08:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My low tech solution is to arrive, park and run the 50 amp cord first. As soon as you have power turn on the A/C.
Then I worry about leveling blocks (yes leave some slack in the power cord to move a foot or so), unhitch, run the water hose, and by that time, the inside has cooled off a lot. Miller time.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys Dave View Post
Airkrafters makes a rack for a Onan generator to fit in place of the spare tire. It runs on the propane system. The spare moves back to a new place. This will easily run the A/c. The system is not cheap but it works.
This is a great solution, and yes, it works great! My buddy put one on his 2023 28' from Vinnie, and loves it! Not cheap but it works great. Couple dealerships can install these now, including the Wyoming dealership outside Jackson. Great install, but you will also want the lift kit for more clearance. The generator itself is "very quiet", and is controlled from panel inside.

As for the generator in the bed of your truck or your Ford type hybrid running the AS AC, agree the Softstart is a must; also a must is the "up front" connection, IMHO. Otherwise, how do you plug in? Wish all the AS's came with this second connection plug up front.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
This topic was covered at length about a year ago. There were all kinds of side discussions about the cooling or warming effect of the air slipstream, some of which got a bit heated (NPI). The outstanding question was “Why would you spend the money, effort and maintenance on something that doesn’t benefit you?” (assuming there’s no one riding in the trailer).
I personally find mollysdad’s approach to be perfectly fine.
Enjoy your journey, and save the A/C for the destination! Happy travels.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 02:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
There are lots of ways to make this work. Basically, you just need a big enough inverter and enough energy to feed the inverter.

Short answer. We do this all the time. We have a Victron Multiplus II 2x120 3kw inverter.

We don't need to run the A/C for the entire journey (though we can actually do this if we wanted to). Our typical approach is to only turn on the smaller of the pair of a/c units in our 2022 Globetrotter 27FB twin (zone 1) since it burns a little less power than the larger zone 2 a/c unit. And, we only turn it on a hour or so before we stop to eat lunch in the trailer while towing between campsites or an hour before we arrive at a campsite when the outside air temperature + solar input results in an uncomfortable interior temperature in the airstream. We turn the a/c off again after lunch (but leave it on after we arrive at the next campsite while we are parking the trailer and setting up our campsite).

We know the inside air temperature via the Microair wifi thermostat plus a pair of ruuvi bluetooth temp+humidity sensor pucks we have placed in the rear lounge and front bedroom of the airstream. The ruuvi sensors are paired with our Victron Cerbo GX and the cerbo makes the temp+humidity data available over our trailers wifi network and/or over the internet via our pepwave cellular modem + the victron remote management (VRM) service. Can you tell I'm a tech geek, lol. I just can't resist this stuff :-)

How do we supply the energy to the multiplus to run the a/c?

A combination of things:

1. We have a 1320ah LiFePO3 Victron battery bank (4x 330ah, 12v battery bank).

2. We have a 700watt solar array on the roof of the Airstream

The items above are sufficient to run the smaller a/c unit (1600watt steady power draw = 133amps at 12v DC) for 10 hours at 100% duty cycle based on battery capacity alone (and could run this for longer with 400-500w solar power contribution).

In addition to the power sources above, we are working on the ability to supply 100amps of charging current from our 2024 F350 Diesel's primary 250amp alternator via a solid state relay controlled via an upfitter switch and 1/0 welding cable to a SB175 anderson receptacle mounted under the F350 rear bumper. The trailer vision weatherproof SB175 receptacle feeds a 1/0 welding cable based umbilical plugged into a matching trailer vision SB175 receptacle mounted on the airstream battery box. The trailer SB175 receptacle feeds a parallel pair of newly released Orion XS 50amp 12v DC-DC lithium battery chargers (note: there are 50amp resettable breakers on the inputs to each Orion XS to protect the wires feeding into the Orion XS units). The output of the paralleled Orion XS units feeds a 12v busbar from which 1/0 welding cable is routed to the battery bank through a 150amp resettable bluesea marine breaker to protect the Orion XS output wiring. The pair of Orion XS 50amp chargers (100A total capacity) is networked via ve.direct cables to our Victron Cerbo so the Orion XS charging state is coordinated with the victron solar chargers using information provided by the networked Victron BMS. Everything in this paragraph has been implemented except we are still waiting on the backordered Orion XS DC-DC units.

The above setup will provide 100amps at 12v DC (1200 watts continuous power) from the truck to the trailers 3kw multiplus II inverter. The multiplus supplies the 120v power needed by the a/c unit. Note that 1200watts from the pair of Orions plus 400-500watts average output from our 700watt solar array on a sunny day will let us run one a/c continuously with pretty much zero power drawn from the battery bank.

At some point soon, I'll start a separate thread documenting the 100amp truck plus trailer charging upgrade and share the list of components (part numbers, quantities, etc) along with some photos documenting the project in case anyone else would like to implement something similar.

In addition to the above, our 2024 F350 has a built-in 2kw 120v pro-power generator powered by a second 24v alternator that is dedicated to the propower system. For a future project, we want to be able to supply the 120amp 12v charger built into the 3kw multiplus by connecting the 2kw 120v pro-power truck generator to the shore power supply feeding the multiplus via "yet another umbilical between the truck and the trailer". This future project will allow us to leave our generators at home and supply all of our battery charging needs via the F350 + solar while boondocking.

Once we complete the future 120v based truck charging upgrade, we will be able to supply 120A via the 120v 2k pro-power + multiplus battery charger and another 100A via the paralleled Orion XS chargers and another 30-40Amps via the rooftop solar array. That's at least 250Amps of charging capacity, so even if we deeply discharge our large battery bank when boondocking in the shade in cloudy/rainy conditions over 5 or 6 days, we will be able to recharge the battery bank within the 2-3 hour period we typically spend driving to the next boondocking site.

Yeah, I know. Overkill right? LOL. It works for us ;-)
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 02:59 PM   #14
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
Thanks for the ideas / comments. In Texas summers with highs getting normal >100 deg F … really tough to travel with the AS heating up for hrs which then seems to take forever to cool to a habitable temp.
Thanks again - if someone could lead me to the previous mentioned discussion.
Glenn
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 04:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU1981 View Post
Thanks for the ideas / comments. In Texas summers with highs getting normal >100 deg F … really tough to travel with the AS heating up for hrs which then seems to take forever to cool to a habitable temp.
Thanks again - if someone could lead me to the previous mentioned discussion.
Glenn
I would recommend upon arrival, to do an Air Purge. Open the fantastic fans and run on high, also the vent hood, have the screen door open and maybe a window or 2 if you only have 1 fantastic fan. Run this when you first arrive, to remove the hot hot heat inside. After about 3 minutes or so, close up and turn on the AC. Especially helpful if you arrive and the inside Airstream temp is higher than outdoor temp.

Piggy Bank
Old 05-11-2024, 05:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I would recommend upon arrival, to do an Air Purge. Open the fantastic fans and run on high, also the vent hood, have the screen door open and maybe a window or 2 if you only have 1 fantastic fan. Run this when you first arrive, to remove the hot hot heat inside. After about 3 minutes or so, close up and turn on the AC. Especially helpful if you arrive and the inside Airstream temp is higher than outdoor temp.
On hot days, we have the fan running as we drive (until we end up on dirt roads). We have a MaxxAir cover over the fan to allow it to operate in motion, rain, etc.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
On hot days, we have the fan running as we drive (until we end up on dirt roads). We have a MaxxAir cover over the fan to allow it to operate in motion, rain, etc.
We have the Maxxair cover also, and leave our vent open when on highways when hot; but as you say, not on dirt roads. We do open up windows and screen door when we stop. I don't have the capability to run the AC while driving, and yes, sometimes/some locations, would be nice to have the AS a bit cooler, but both AC's on high do a pretty good job cooling down.

We also have a nice 22 pint dehumidifier which also is a big help in Southern states (Texas). Last week in Bandera Rally, it filled twice the first day! But sleeping, the dehumidifier keeps the sheets dry and makes living inside the AS much more comfortable. We keep it in the shower while traveling, and move to front while sleeping, and rear when we get up. If you camp in humid climates, this is a very nice investment.

I envy Foobar's and other folks ability to run AC for a spell while on the road, as needed, but not happening for us, I'm afraid.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-13-2024, 05:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Gypsy
Do you have a link to which dehumidifier you use? Thanks

Piggy Bank
Old 05-14-2024, 08:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Gypsy
Do you have a link to which dehumidifier you use? Thanks
The one I have I got at Home Depot GE 22 pint. Think it's rated for 1200 sq ft room; may be overkill, but gets us comfortable pretty fast. Usually, once we get it filled first time and empty, it will go all night without needing empty until morning. If it gets full, it will shut down. Easy to empty. Also has a connection for a drain hose if someone wanted to use a drain. We keep it in the shower when traveling using just the bottom Styrofoam/cardboard packing it came with. Keeps it from moving around. Amazon has several models that can likely do the job. Night and day difference when using this....last week when we were in Bandera Rally, several folks did not have one, and complained about bedding being wet in the morning, even with the AC on. Thats a big deal!
Old 05-14-2024, 08:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
The one I have I got at Home Depot GE 22 pint. Think it's rated for 1200 sq ft room; may be overkill, but gets us comfortable pretty fast. Usually, once we get it filled first time and empty, it will go all night without needing empty until morning. If it gets full, it will shut down. Easy to empty. Also has a connection for a drain hose if someone wanted to use a drain. We keep it in the shower when traveling using just the bottom Styrofoam/cardboard packing it came with. Keeps it from moving around. Amazon has several models that can likely do the job. Night and day difference when using this....last week when we were in Bandera Rally, several folks did not have one, and complained about bedding being wet in the morning, even with the AC on. Thats a big deal!
We have a desiccant based dehumidifier currently. These are the best option when camping in cold conditions.

For camping in hot/humid conditions, the best option is the compressor based dehumidifiers (basically, these are portable a/c units optimized for dehumidification).

Or, you can just use your main trailer a/c units and drop the temperature so they run frequently enough to pull the humidity out of the air. That works well enough except for the most extreme hot/humid locations (Florida, gulf coast region, etc).
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote