Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2024, 08:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
We have a desiccant based dehumidifier currently. These are the best option when camping in cold conditions.

For camping in hot/humid conditions, the best option is the compressor based dehumidifiers (basically, these are portable a/c units optimized for dehumidification).

Or, you can just use your main trailer a/c units and drop the temperature so they run frequently enough to pull the humidity out of the air. That works well enough except for the most extreme hot/humid locations (Florida, gulf coast region, etc).
Comments here got me to thinking a dehumidifier is good idea since we don't always have 30A and I get complaints about humidity and stuffiness. But it's off-topic and there is already a comprehensive thread on dehumidifiers here. That said, I found a $77 model that might work and only draws 60W, but I didn't check out the desiccant models. It's often at night when it's cooler and the clamminess sets in. I'll be posting on the other thread and leave this discussion to power generation in motion.
JeffKim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:19 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Chandler , Arizona
even with 1000 Watts on the top of my Classic 33 and a large 810ah Lifepo4 battery bank, running one AC would last for 4-6 hours as long as there was plenty of sunshine.
Saullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saullman View Post
even with 1000 Watts on the top of my Classic 33 and a large 810ah Lifepo4 battery bank, running one AC would last for 4-6 hours as long as there was plenty of sunshine.
I am running my 15kw dometic a/c as I type this (2022 Globetrotter 27FB Twin). It is pulling 1600 watts steady state.

At 12v, the inverter would pull 135amps out of the battery bank give or take.

810ah would last for 6 hours if fully charged when you start running it and leave the bank empty when you are done. I think your estimate is pretty much spot on. You might get another hour of runtime on a bright sunny day with good solar production with a 700-800w+ array on the roof.

If you want to leave 20% in the battery bank for reserve power, you could run for about 5 hours.

If your 2nd a/c is smaller like mine (13k btu instead of 15k btu), you will burn 1400w steady state, pull 116 amps from the battery bank and could run the a/c for about 7 hours with no solar input and 8+ hours with solar.

810ah is a very capable battery bank.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 03:20 PM   #24
60R
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I am able to power on the AC from the truck when planning to make a stop and want the trailer cool. Equipment is 25' FBT 30 amp with generator plug on the front of trailer. Fabricated cord that connects to another fabricated cord at the bumper near the license plate. That cord connects to 7.5 KW inverter using one leg of the 220 plug on inverter. Truck is 2023 F150 PowerBoost with hybrid 3.5 V6. I installed a bluetooth remote thermostat in trailer that is controlled with an iPhone app.
60R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
Comments here got me to thinking a dehumidifier is good idea since we don't always have 30A and I get complaints about humidity and stuffiness. But it's off-topic and there is already a comprehensive thread on dehumidifiers here. That said, I found a $77 model that might work and only draws 60W, but I didn't check out the desiccant models. It's often at night when it's cooler and the clamminess sets in. I'll be posting on the other thread and leave this discussion to power generation in motion.
Thanks for this link you included...missed that one somehow. Good information there. I don't know if my GE is a Decent type or not. It does generate some heat when I fire it up, which is nice in winter, but not in summer, so we move up front when sleeping and in the rear when lounging/cooking. Works hard the first day/night and quickly takes us into a comfortable zone, then it backs off in noise/heat also, and keeps things very nice inside. I do have a moisture matt we picked up they use in sail boats under each mattress.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote