Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
AC and furnace run simultaneously

Any idea what might cause my furnace and ac unit to run at the same time. I have a 2012 25ft FC with new AC within the last year. Has not been used much since the Pandemic. When I turned on the thermostat I could not find the HP mode. Second when I turned on the furnace the main unit began to operate along with the furnace. When I go to turn off the furnace it will continue ti run a short time before shutting down. I do have propane and the furnace does give heat. I am not getting any error message. so I m stumped any suggestion or ideas greatly appreciated.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Any idea what might cause my furnace and ac unit to run at the same time. I have a 2012 25ft FC with new AC within the last year. Has not been used much since the Pandemic. When I turned on the thermostat I could not find the HP mode. Second when I turned on the furnace the main unit began to operate along with the furnace. When I go to turn off the furnace it will continue ti run a short time before shutting down. I do have propane and the furnace does give heat. I am not getting any error message. so I m stumped any suggestion or ideas greatly appreciated.
Do you have 2 AC's? If so, the Furnace is located in same "Zone" as one of the AC's; you just need to find which and select temp. For heat pump, again, you set the temperature and it should operate like your furnace except very inefficient below 45 degrees, so Furnace important. My furnace will continue to run for a while after turning down the temp...blows the warm air out so no big deal.

If you just got a new AC and only have one AC, likely they may have hooked up the thermostat incorrectly. You may find Youtube video on that brand of thermostate to see if that can help. Good luck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
It's possible to have the fan of the AC unit on and the furnace on at the same time. If the fan is off or set to auto, it should remain off while the furnace is in use.
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
It's possible to have the fan of the AC unit on and the furnace on at the same time. If the fan is off or set to auto, it should remain off while the furnace is in use.
I only have the one AC. The mode shows furnace or cool. If cool I turn it off and back on then the mode is furnace power the AC unit stilts run. I do not know if the HP is working and it also may be possible one was not included when the unit was installed.

Anyway I am wondering if during storage a switch tripped etc.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have a heat pump, do you? If not it may be possible to have the fan on from the AC and the furnace at the same time. If you do, you should be seeing OFF, COOL, HP, and FURN for modes on your thermostat. How is the Fan control set? OFF/LOW/HIGH/AUTO?

Three possibilities. If it ever worked before,

1. Reset the thermostat. See the manual for how.

2. Check for corrosion at both ends of the telephone-like modular cable between the thermostat and the AC unit. Drop the duct/cover plate on the inside of the trailer and pull the thermostat.

and 3. If if has never worked, the DIP switches may not be configured correctly in the AC unit. You can check for this while you have the cover off.

Good luck!
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
Yes, make sure your fan is OFF or set to Auto. It too me way too long to figure this out!
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:37 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I only have the one AC. The mode shows furnace or cool. If cool I turn it off and back on then the mode is furnace power the AC unit stilts run. I do not know if the HP is working and it also may be possible one was not included when the unit was installed.

Anyway I am wondering if during storage a switch tripped etc.
Hi

Just to be clear: The heat pump and A/C are the same gizmo, just running slightly differently. It's pretty much impossible to figure out if the beast is heating or cooling by listening to it. With some care you can tell if the compressor is running or just the fan.

Depending on exactly how your trailer is set up, it is quite possible to run both the furnace and heat pump at the same time. There are indeed reasons you might want to do this. As noted above you can run the fan on the A/C while the furnace is on.

On some rigs, you can run the A/C and furnace at the same time. These rigs have a separate control / thermostat for the furnace. You have to play with that control or the furnace will *not* turn on at all.

Since this is "never the same way twice" AS, there is no way to look at a modern trailer and guess how yours was set up a decade ago. Indeed in 10 years, what the factory put in may not be what's there now. There's no way to know without diving into the wiring and seeing what goes where.

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I have a heat pump, do you? If not it may be possible to have the fan on from the AC and the furnace at the same time. If you do, you should be seeing OFF, COOL, HP, and FURN for modes on your thermostat. How is the Fan control set? OFF/LOW/HIGH/AUTO?

Three possibilities. If it ever worked before,

1. Reset the thermostat. See the manual for how.

2. Check for corrosion at both ends of the telephone-like modular cable between the thermostat and the AC unit. Drop the duct/cover plate on the inside of the trailer and pull the thermostat.

and 3. If if has never worked, the DIP switches may not be configured correctly in the AC unit. You can check for this while you have the cover off.

Good luck!
X2, double check #3
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Furnace vs. Heat Pump

On our Flying Cloud 30RB, Furnace fan is DC (off batteries) and heater element is propane . . . while Air Conditioning is AC (30 amps with MicroAir SloStarts in both ACs; 50 amps otherwise). Our Flying Cloud ACs can provide heat via incorporated heat pumps, this functionality having nothing to do with FURNACE, an entirely separate appliance.

The Furnace can drain standard batteries overnight, prime reason for lipo upgrade.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
In my 20' I have CCC2 thermostat. If while running the (propane) furnace, if I change the fan from auto to low (?? don't go there anymore) but then don't return the stat to auto when I turn the furnace off, the next time I turn the (Propane) furnace on, my AC will fire cold air while blowing heat from the furnace. Good figure...

The solution is a hard boot of the thermostat which resets to factory specs.

this C & P from my manuel

Once the system is completely installed, do a system reset:
1. Make sure the CCC 2 thermostat is in the OFF mode. See section, “C. Quick
Reference To Control Buttons” on page (5).
2. Simultaneously press and hold the MODE and ZONE buttons. See section, “C.
Quick Reference To Control Buttons” on page (5).
3. The LCD will display “IniT” and all available zones.
4. Release the MODE and ZONE buttons.
5. Press the ON/OFF button to exit system set up.
6. The furnace ON/OFF temperature differential should be set at this time. Forfurther information on furnace mode differential setting, see section, “F. “FURN”/ “AQUA” - Furnace Or Aqua (Hydronic) Heating Mode” on page (12).
Any time a system reset occurs, the factory default settings are restored. See table,
“Factory Preset Settings” on page (4).

good luck
Old 01-26-2022, 05:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My thanks to all In the end the HP dip switch was not set. So after trying
everything and also talking to Dometic. I decided I had to check the Dip switches on top of the roof. Low and behold the HP Dip switch was off. Anyway after a freezing afternoon taking off the dome etc everything is working. I also learnt when running the furnace the fan needs to be set to auto.
Again my thanks to all.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:46 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Irondale , Alabama
I just acquired a 1999 31’ Excella 1000. I’m not sure how old this thread is, but I’ve been having similar issues. It had a new Penguin A/C with Heat pump installed in 2015 with a CCC2 Thermostat installed. The thermostat is set to operate the heat pump properly, but not the furnace. To operate the furnace, you have to set the thermostat to fan (low), and turn a knob on the air distribution unit to a hand marked position. It will then allow the furnace to run. There is no temperature control for it. The furnace will run until you manually turn the thermostat off. Will a thermostat reset fix this? What about the manual switch on the box? I opened the box to look at the wiring and can’t locate anything that looks like the diagrams. Thoughts?
vonherrmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonherrmanna View Post
I just acquired a 1999 31’ Excella 1000. I’m not sure how old this thread is, but I’ve been having similar issues. It had a new Penguin A/C with Heat pump installed in 2015 with a CCC2 Thermostat installed. The thermostat is set to operate the heat pump properly, but not the furnace. To operate the furnace, you have to set the thermostat to fan (low), and turn a knob on the air distribution unit to a hand marked position. It will then allow the furnace to run. There is no temperature control for it. The furnace will run until you manually turn the thermostat off. Will a thermostat reset fix this? What about the manual switch on the box? I opened the box to look at the wiring and can’t locate anything that looks like the diagrams. Thoughts?
That sounds like a custom setup, not sure but a 1999 might have come with a separate thermostat for the furnace. Check around for another thermostat, maybe the CCC2 only tells the other thermostat to start operating the furnace. If it is a custom "upgrade" you might need expert help.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
1 started this thread less then a month ago. It does not look like your system is similar to mind. However what I can tell you that on the unit on the roof (at least on mine) there are dip switches they must be properly set to the on position for the ccc thermostat to recognizes them. I had set my hp switch to on. then you should be able to mode until the one you want, cool, HP, fan,auto or furn shows up. Again remember this my unit and probably most others. I also spoke with Dometric and they told me the fan had to be set to auto for the furn to run correctly.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:36 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Irondale , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
That sounds like a custom setup, not sure but a 1999 might have come with a separate thermostat for the furnace. Check around for another thermostat, maybe the CCC2 only tells the other thermostat to start operating the furnace. If it is a custom "upgrade" you might need expert help.

Thanks. I’ve looked for a second thermostat several times before and can’t find one or even where one might have been. I don’t think it’s a custom upgrade, but I think it’s a wiring or dip switch issue.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Irondale , Alabama
Quote:
1 started this thread less then a month ago. It does not look like your system is similar to mind. However what I can tell you that on the unit on the roof (at least on mine) there are dip switches they must be properly set to the on position for the ccc thermostat to recognizes them. I had set my hp switch to on. then you should be able to mode until the one you want, cool, HP, fan,auto or furn shows up. Again remember this my unit and probably most others. I also spoke with Dometric and they told me the fan had to be set to auto for the furn to run correctly.

Thank you. I LLP check the dip switches. My initial though was a bad wiring job, but I hadn’t thought about dip switches.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:43 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonherrmanna View Post
I just acquired a 1999 31’ Excella 1000. I’m not sure how old this thread is, but I’ve been having similar issues. .......
Hi

On a 20+ year old trailer, it's a pretty good bet this and that has been replaced. With most PO's there have also been various "improvements" made ( = if the PO was named Bob .... run .... ). On top of that, you never quite know who was hired to do this or that fix and when.

Now toss in the inevitable "sat in storage for 5 years before we decided to sell" and you likely have things that have died since the last real deep dive by the PO. You might also have a trailer that *never* was used in the cold ( = you are the first one ever to turn on the furnace).

With all these twist and turns, troubleshooting is going to be fun. No, that is not to say you can figure it out. The point is that you likely have many layers to dig through. It's not going to be as fast as you might hope.

Some folks have been known go out and spend many days of "spare time" with the beast tracing out this and that. If you have that sort of time available, it certainly *is* easier to do it that way than at a campground at 3AM. I have an unfortunate lot of data on this

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote