Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
A/C shroud color...

Which color do Airstreams come with....the Shell White or Polar White?

This is a Dometic Duo Therm unit...
Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Mine came with the shell white (the more cream of the two colors). I replaced it with the polar white which more cloesly matches the roof color. FWIW I think it looks fine in either color.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think mine is shell white. I got it from my dealer when my original surrendered to UV after 3 years of outside exposure. I just went up to the parts and asked if they had one in stock. It matched the old one's color.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
IMHO, they look much better when painted to match the Airstream's dominant color............SILVER! The shroud on my '06 CCD was painted Mercedes silver and looked far better than any white shroud and did not stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
A shroud that lasts

I've replaced two factory original shrouds, one on my SOB and one on our AS. The factory shrouds turn brittle in just a year or two. You'd think they would use a longer lasting material.

I am very pleased with the replacement shrouds from ICON DIRECT. The shrouds are made from a different material than the factory originals. The color was similar to the original's. I also like the LifeTime Guarantee.

These shrouds are made by a small company near Winnipeg, Manitoba. Feel free to call them, as I did, to clarify any issues you may have.

RV Exterior Parts - Air Conditioner Shrouds - IconDirect

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
The factory shrouds will also last a long time if fully coated with paint, inside and out, that is a good UV blocker.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I've replaced two factory original shrouds, one on my SOB and one on our AS. The factory shrouds turn brittle in just a year or two. You'd think they would use a longer lasting material.

I am very pleased with the replacement shrouds from ICON DIRECT. The shrouds are made from a different material than the factory originals. The color was similar to the original's. I also like the LifeTime Guarantee.

These shrouds are made by a small company near Winnipeg, Manitoba. Feel free to call them, as I did, to clarify any issues you may have.

RV Exterior Parts - Air Conditioner Shrouds - IconDirect
Hi, today I pulled my trailer forward to tinker with it and wash it. I noticed what looks like a few cracks in the plastic cover [shroud] on my Duo-Therm Penguin 11,000 BTU air conditioner. Doing a search for a replacement shroud, I came up with the "Icon- Direct" brand with a limited lifetime warranty. Sounds to me this is the way to go. Any other thoughts or opinions on this?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I've got an Icon shroud sitting in the basement just waiting for Spring to install it on the Airstream. The original factory shrouds get as brittle as an egg shell after only 3 or 4 years. Try to remove it and there's a good chance it'll break in several places as mine did. After changing my starting capacitor I had to glue the shroud together and reinforce it with duct tape before I reinstalled it. This was on a replacement Penguin A/C. The delivery from Icon was quick.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote