Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

anderson , South Carolina
a/c or heat pump not rooftop caravel

I'm thinking I would prefer not mounting a unit on the roof. Might be best to use a propane heater and a separate a/c but if a heat pump package is extra good I wood consider it and still keep a propane heater.

Some told me a year ago there is a heat pump that has a inside unit that looks like a tower instead of the mitsubishi wall mount type. it uses small outside unit that might fit directly upfront by the propane tank or on the rear bumper.

Need around 11000 btu... its a 67 caravel

I got 21 mpg pulling the caravel with my 5 cylinder Volvo (1000 miles) but the rooftop vent has a smooth patch so no drag. if I mount a rooftop how will it effect my mpg.
yes 21 is a fact.. no nay saying trolls please, if you doubt it take your comments elsewhere. I found a previous post I made calling me a liar irritating.
ohpoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpoppy View Post
I'm thinking I would prefer not mounting a unit on the roof. Might be best to use a propane heater and a separate a/c but if a heat pump package is extra good I wood consider it and still keep a propane heater.

Some told me a year ago there is a heat pump that has a inside unit that looks like a tower instead of the mitsubishi wall mount type. it uses small outside unit that might fit directly upfront by the propane tank or on the rear bumper.

Need around 11000 btu... its a 67 caravel

I got 21 mpg pulling the caravel with my 5 cylinder Volvo (1000 miles) but the rooftop vent has a smooth patch so no drag. if I mount a rooftop how will it effect my mpg.
yes 21 is a fact.. no nay saying trolls please, if you doubt it take your comments elsewhere. I found a previous post I made calling me a liar irritating.

I believe that 20 mpg is possible if towing a 67 Caravel with a small turbocharged gas powered tv.

I believe you are referring to a split system heat pump. This is a an appropriate although difficult design to implement on a larger Airstream but is overkill on a 67 Caravel in my opinion.

I would install a small window air conditioner in the large bathroom window. I have done this in our 66 Tradewind and are very happy with it. Here is a link. See posts 15 and 16.

www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140626

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel