Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
A/C leaking water inside

Hi,

We make our first trip today in our 1968 Airstream to Highland Haven...BTW: it is beautiful here and the people are the BEST. Made us feel right at home.

Anyway - when we went to the store we left the A/C on. When we returned water (condensation) had leaked inside...not a disaster but it was bad enough that we had to turn it off. Fortunately the temperature is ideal here tonight to have the windows open and enjoy the mountain air. Back home I ran the A/C and never experienced any leakage. Any thought as to what may have caused this problem and how I may go about fixing it?

Thanks,

Pete
goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
My trailer is a 1987 so things could be different. Mine has a tube that runs through the wall to the bottom of the trailer. I can walk outside and see a short drain hose that should be draining water from the pan under the ac.

Mine is blocked or whatever. Tried to run a long wire up to open it with no success.

You should be able to remove the inside cover to the ac and possible see a hose in the cutout area.

I have been lucky, mine overflows and runs down the outside of the trailer.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
I took the cover on the inside of the Airstream this morning and found a nice rodent nest. I cleaned out the inside of the cover and put it back together again....so far it hasn't leaked. It's been running about 2 hours or so. Keeping my fingers crossed.
goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
drips

Airstream units come from the factory with the air units dripping into a shallow reservoir with a rubber tube attached that goes inbetween the outside and interior skin and drips on the ground. I have found that the best way to clear the tube is to use compressed air from the bottom up. As the drip pan gets old it tends to get brittle and cracks, then leaks. Getting to the cracks to fix is a real problem as you cannot get to it short of removing the unit at which point repair can be achieved depending on the condition of the pan. Hope this helps!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
They are right about the tube deal...I have a tube that comes out under the side of the house, and we took some compressed air and blew it out...did not take much air either...you would be amazed at what little accumulation gets to blocking the water drainage...the hole is about the size of a large pea. (whens the last time you ever saw a 'large pea?)
Old 06-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
If your A/C is new and installed by a SOB dealer like mine was, you might find that they did not fill the empty rivet holes left from the old A/C unit. I had to loosen and lift up the new unit to find about 6-8 holes hidden from view that allowed water to leak. And, for some reason it didn't leak all the time. Also, the older units like mine don't have A/C drain tubes like many of you are thinking. Hope you stay dry this weekend.
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote