Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2004, 05:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

A/C installation and a question about the drip pan.

I have a 68 Globetrotter and on Wednesday I am taking it in to have the Penguin 13,500 BTU unit installed. The factory says it is wired already. When I asked about the drip pan, I was told I do not need it unless it has the drain line installed. From what I can tell it does not. Does this mean the water from the unit will just run down the sides of the Airstream and is there any other options? I am in the middle of compunding and the thought of water draining down the side is a big disappointment. Thanks - Bryan
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
ac

Byan, I had an AC installed last year by North Dallas RV (Airsteam Service Center) on my '67. There was no drain line on mine and yes the water does run down the side. One of the members of the local Airstream Club gave me a good idea that I'm halfway done with. I've drilled a hole in the side of my sink vent pipe and will run a small drain line from the drip pan on the roof thru this hole and snake the line down the vent pipe a ways. That way the water drips into gray water pipe. You'd have to make sure that you've got your drain hose open or at least drain it if you see water coming into your sink or tub which should take a while. Where in Dallas are you? If you're interested in joing our local club let me know. We've got another rally in Tyler in April. We've got a real nice group.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I am having North Dallas RV do mine as well! I live in Richardson. One question for you then. Do I have to tell N Dallas RV to install the drip pan or is that already going to be on it..... Your idea sounds like a good plan. I was under the impression that you had to order that separately... New to all of this.

Yeah, the club sounds good. My very first trip with this is Tyler the weekend of April 30. So, does the AC work pretty good in this Texas heat?

Thanks buddy!

Bryan
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Not sure on the drip pan. I'd tell them that you want one to make sure. Tell them what you want to do, they may have some ideas as well. We've got a good mix of folks in our local group. Some new trailers, some vintage like ours. I've learned alot from some of them and have made new friends as well. Our Tyler (Whispering Pines) rally is April 22. If you'd like to come, try it out you don't have to be a member yet. I think the weekend fee is $67 which covers camp spot and some meals. Let me know and I can get you the info. We've got two kids and arrive usually late on Fri. after school. You can PM me or email me as well. Jim

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
What I would do, and suggest, is to have a drain line installed. You can take some interior skin off - just enough to run the line down inside a closet and out the bottom of the trailer

Ken
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote