Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #61
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Posters are talking about different A/C's and different trailer models. Please specify what you are advising about because installations are different.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #62
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Posters are talking about different A/C's and different trailer models. Please specify what you are advising about because installations are different.

Gene
Excellent point. So, as the starter of this thread, I'll go first :

2014 International Serenity 23D, 13,500 BTU Dometic Penguin Ii

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
It took three of us to get the unit in the roof using a step ladder and a straight ladder. I am sixty and big, not fat big. One issue to remember is where you kneel or stand when up there. Only on the rivet line above the ribs.
The sealant you use on sealing the gasket to the Airstream is called Sikaflex 221 Airstream is using another product now after using Sikaflex for many years, it is cheaper by about $2 a tube. One tube is more than enough for the job. And this is applied inside the Airstream, the AC unit just sits up there on the gaskets.
There really is nothing difficult about doing this job yourself.
I just remembered to say, when removing the unit myself from the roof. I slid it onto a large towel, and pulled it to the edge. Then with the ladder top resting on the awning, I lifted her over and slid it down the ladder, with me descending. Another pair of hands would have been nice. Just remember to get the balance right as one end is light and the other end has the weight if you lower it down sideways.....
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
I installed a Dometic Penguin 11 the 15,000 btu, it is the same weight and size as the 13,000 btu unit.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #65
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
< snip >
The sealant you use on sealing the gasket to the Airstream is called Sikaflex 221 Airstream is using another product now after using Sikaflex for many years, it is cheaper by about $2 a tube. One tube is more than enough for the job. And this is applied inside the Airstream, the AC unit just sits up there on the gaskets.
< snip >
Thanks, "jmpgino" your installation comments are helpful. I will not remove the A/C from the roof of the Airstream. My plan is to construct a plywood 'platform' running from the side of the A/C (curb side) outward about six feet. This will be supported by a makeshift scaffold attached to the support poles of our metal cover. I intend to remove the holding bolts and rotate the A/C sideways onto its back... I will have a helper, so this will be a two-person job. With the unit on its back like a dead cockroach, I will remove the existing gasket and drain cups assembly, replacing with the all-new stuff that I picked up on Amazon. Then, my helper and I will rotate this sucker upright again and position it carefully over the opening and complete the installation.

You mentioned sealant (above quoted post), but Dometic's installation make no mention of any sealant except for where the drain tubes go through the gasket... no sealant is called for on the gasket-to-roof interface. What about that?

Thanks again,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1734.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	314386  

Old 06-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Question: can the a/c condensate design and tube handle ALL the water and send it down by the wheel or is it normal to have some water run off the roof?

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #67
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletoo View Post
Question: can the a/c condensate design and tube handle ALL the water and send it down by the wheel or is it normal to have some water run off the roof?
Sure, the drain system would easily handle the condensate... if there is water on the roof, it's because the drain isn't working as designed.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Sigh...bummer

Old 06-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #69
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Sigh...bummer
Sorry 'bout that. 😞

Old 06-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Wel RFP, when you remove the two bottom covers inside you should see a bead of Sikaflex or the newer cheaper stuff Airstream is now using, between the aluminium box in the roof and the lower gasket. Now when I say box, I have a framed in box where the wires enter from inside the walls and the exit condes ate line showing through.
Airstream says they put this extra sealant on for security.
I have an image of the inside of mine showing the set up after putting the new unit on. I don’t know how to post images from my iPad, I resent you my correct email again last night.
Now those of you asking about the lines ability to drain, you are in for a surprise here, so take a deep breath.......
Owners with this new condensate set up are reporting water running off the roof. They have discovered mold build up in the lines. This does not surprise me as the old pan system was built in such a way the water went into a small chamber that exited into the drain line with gravity, this prevented water remaining inside the unit.
Now there is simply no way that the new lines can be installed without an amount of water remaining inside the condensate lines. I bolted up my bottom plate leaving enough space for me to get my hand in side. While the unit was running and draining, (with the help of a head light and welders mirror) I adjusted the pipes as best I could before finally tightening the unit down. I was unable to get any position where water was not being retained in the lines.
So with that said, I will down here in Georgia no doubt have the same mound slime blocking the lines.
The two cups on the roof have two small run off slots if the there is a blockage in the system. I plan to use a syringe and inject some diluted bleach or something like that into the cups. Some people have been using weed wacker line, going up from below in the wheel well. Some have considered using compressed air. And some have gone the longer route, removing the bottom plates inside.
The reason Airstream stopped using the old pan method was due to the pans cracking and causing water leaks in the roof.
My old unit still has the pan, I seriously considered removing it and attaching it onto my new unit but gave up on the idea.
Just for a laugh here, I am going to remove the blower unit and turn it into a swamp cooler. With some welding and or soldering, I should be able to make it small enough to take away with us and use on the patio. Will most likely fabricate the box and pan from stainless steel, the water well will certainly be SS.
Anyhow sorry for the bad news but one more bad bit for you is that those of you, who do not have the extra gasket will find it near impossible to use my method of injection into the cups, they are on the roof and nigh on impossible to access.
Cheers for now,
James.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
A member that I contacted took up my offer to send him the pdf files and images that I have taken.
I decided to take an image of the unit on the roof for him, a side shot. Well it is way too bright at the moment for an iPad. But this is what I wrote to him.....

Went to take an image but the sun is too bright at the moment.
When I looked the AC unit had sunk down even more that the last time I was up there, a good month ago. Went inside and felt the five tightening bolts, they had all gone slack again. So it looks like the heat and weight have dropped her over time. The drain cups are not on the roof but not far off now.
So I could be wrong about the second gasket not being there. The second gasket on mine is now a quarter of its original thickness and the factory one looks un squashed, that one being the drain line one.
I am scratching my head now. Will have to retighten the bolts again and the roof is already bowing. I have purposely left the white cover off on the inside so that I can recheck the bolts, glad I did but this amount of loosening is a shock for me. It is bloody hot here, today 102 F the heat down here has to be contributing to this issue.
One thing for sure, up on a ladder with a flash light you can see if you have two gaskets or not.
Cheers,
James.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #72
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
< snip > The second gasket on mine is now a quarter of its original thickness and the factory one looks un-squashed, < snip >
Wow, James, this is really troubling. Why is one gasket very nearly fully compressed while the other is not? Apparently the two gaskets are not identical.

Is the "un-squashed" gasket a genuine Dometic part?

Is the "squished" gasket a genuine Dometic part?

Dang, there are a lot of pieces in this puzzle...

Old 06-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #73
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
For what it's worth, here are some photos of my "modified" Dometic drain cups:

Each cup has a 1/2" hold drilled directly opposite the drain exit. This allows removal of a sealing plug to (1) inject a bleach solution or other appropriate goop to help with mold or clogs, and (2) an easy access to "ream" out the drain with a weed eater cord (or whatever), pushing the clog toward the final drain.

I painted the cups with Krylon "Fusion" spray paint to eliminate damage from the sun's UV rays... an old trick left over from my Casita days!

I'll get all of this installed PROPERLY, per Dometic's instructions before our next trip... maybe do the MicroAir Easy Start at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1736.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	314511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	314512  

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	314513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	314514  

Old 06-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Hello RFP,
Both gaskets were identical and Dometic supplied.

I have just come back inside our house after loosening all the bolts. I am going to let her sit up there with gravity and remember I also sealed her inside onto the roof with Sikaflex. Will let it sit there for another couple of weeks and see what happens. Got her running on my Honda generator for an hour or so.
And again looking up inside the condensate lines have water in them and she is level.
I think the mold issue will be a once a year clean out. And incidentally when the white cover is not in place you can access the main drain line from below where the filters are placed reasonably easily. An air line could be inserted to blow out the rubbish.
Don’t know if you all have dirt robbers where you live but here we have them. The two overflow slots in each cup would be a nice hiding place for them, that sure could cause a problem down the road.....
Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
The idea that REP has introduced is a clever option. I believe it could be done after the unit was on the roof with some difficulty, so a much easier job before installation. The UV idea is also a clever preventer, down here the heat will make ours brittle over time.

This topic is going to be a big hit me thinks in the years to come !!!!!

And regarding the bottom gasket squashing, if you think about it, it’s what you would want. If the upper one was squashing, it would be squashing the drain lines inside it !!!
So it may be designed that way but they did look the same, I just never considered any of this when installing the second one.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Looks like I have no other life the amount of time I spend on here.

But just adding another peeve I have......Just noticed another rivet to the left of the door inside has popped out. I must have put fifteen rivets in two airstreams over the years. These little suckers are a pain. I even spent extra cash to get a very good gun. Airstream will sell you their rivets but they are just the same as the ones Lowe’s has from what I can see, but yep Airstream will stick it in you if you go that route. I got a few from them and then compared them with the store stuff.
So I am off to do a full cabin check now and if any more will do them all at once.....
Old 06-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

I have condensation dripping inside of my airstream when Ac is on. I called a local Airstream service department and he suggested checking the “flap” that separates the hot and cold area of the ac to see if it’s loose. He said it looks like aluminum foil. Anyone ever hear of this and is it something we could fix easily. He said to remove the cover to check it?
patty413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #78
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty413 View Post
I have condensation dripping inside of my airstream when Ac is on. I called a local Airstream service department and he suggested checking the “flap” that separates the hot and cold area of the ac to see if it’s loose. He said it looks like aluminum foil. Anyone ever hear of this and is it something we could fix easily. He said to remove the cover to check it?
What is the year and model of your Airstream?

Old 06-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
This topic has really opened a can of worms.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #80
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
This topic has really opened a can of worms.
I think you are right... Even so, my resolve is still good to wrestle this thing to the ground!