Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
A/c

We enjoy our 2020 Bambi 19cb. It's simplicity and old school vibe keeps us smiling. If there is one thing we would like to change/improve it would be the A/C. The problem: It's noisey, as in, loud. Other than buying a unit with quietstream or "just be happy that you have A/C," is there other counsel to be offered by this Airstream Community?

Thank you
jfreeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
For a non-ducted unit you are pretty much stuck with a jet engine overhead. We loved with it for 8 years on our 25’.

Changing out for a different manufacturer will not greatly reduce noise. Maybe just run the fan on low?

Ducted AC (quiet stream) was a game changer in this department as you’ve noted.

When we changed out to a new trailer one of the highest benefits was that we could finally hear each other sitting at the dinette table
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
We had the same issue with our 22 Sport. Our solution was to add up all the “nice-to-haves” until we convinced ourselves to move to a behemoth 23FB.
Other approaches would be to reduce the need to run the A/C, improve what you have, or replace it.
Approach 1: use your awnings to reduce heat gain. Add more awning at the rear and curbside, and consider maxing out the solar panels for the same purpose. Use the overhead vent when conditions allow. Use a dehumidifier to allow a higher A/C setting for the same comfort level.
Approach 2: Modify it. Most of the noise comes from the very restricted air return and outlets, Having them in such close proximity isn’t the most efficient, either. I’ve seen replacement interior units, but they are pretty pricey, and I think there was some reason it wasn’t feasible on a Sport. I never looked into adding a spacer to open up the air passages; maybe someone else has. An easy-start will reduce the startup noise, and is a google investment for generator use, but won’t change the operating sound level.
Approach 3: There are other brands that would be a direct replacement, as demonstrated by several RV YouTube clips. The ultimate would be a minisplit. I toyed with the idea of a small one set lengthwise on the tongue flanked by the propane cylinders, with the battery moved inside to keep the tongue weight down. In the name of marital harmony, I went along with the trailer upgrade.
There are lots of earlier discussions- let us know what you decide to do.
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
wulfraat, I figured there weren't any options other than to move "up" to a unit with quiet stream, but I wanted to inquire. The 19cb is the perfect unit for us with our part-time-full-time-full-time-part-time living, so the Caravel 19cb will eventually be our next purchase. Maybe some year, as we're traveling about the county, we'll see one on a lot somewhere.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
GetawA-S, thank you for the three well thought-out thoughts. I've been leaning towards thought #1. We have two 90 watt panels on the roof, and I don't mind adding another. I've never heard anyone complain able having too much solar. We use the awning, and having noticed how the awning reduces the solar heat gain, I've thought about adding rear and roadside awnings.

Without having run the numbers on adding the rear and roadside awnings, I'm wondering if the cost-benefit analysis would suggest a acquiring a Caravel.

Maybe the A/C noise is part of the old school "charm."

Usually the nights cool off and by bed-time I turn the A/C off and use the fans. This morning I woke up at 3:00, turned off the fans, and listened to a whippoorwill. So, there are benefits to the current set-up.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Old school charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreeham View Post
I'm wondering if the cost-benefit analysis would suggest a acquiring a Caravel.

Maybe the A/C noise is part of the old school charm..
Since very few buyers thoughtfully consider anything beyond “Is it blowing cold air?”, I suspect A-S uses the lower price point to get people hooked. And some people can sleep through anything.
I totally agree about the pleasure of hearing the night sounds with a cool breeze coming through the window screen. Our problem is that our fellow Floridians like to camp cracker style:
- Build a smokey fire even in 90 F weather to cook over.
- Build a smokey fire to chase away the mosquitoes.
- Build a smokey fire for the exercise of dodging the smoke.
- Build a smokey fire because they have to buy poorly seasoned wood in big chunks from the camp host, and aren’t allowed to gather kindling.
- Build a smokey fire because that’s what camping is about! “What, somebody chose to settle in 15’ downwind?”
So, you can see that our A/C gets way more use than I care for.
I hope you get to enjoy many open air nights!
Old 06-30-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S
Since very few buyers thoughtfully consider anything beyond “Is it blowing cold air?”, I suspect A-S uses the lower price point to get people hooked.

They actually deploy higher end, low profile dometic units.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
High end…

Wulfrat,
High end, but as you stated yourself, still LOUD!