Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
'78 Airstream needs A/C - confusing answers

I am trying to find a replacement A/C and every place I call tells me something different.

Choice 1: Dometic 15K Penguin
Was told: Too complicated to to wire in if it's non-ducted.

Choice 2: Dometic 15K Brisk Air
Was told: No drain pain or drain line, bulky

Choice 2: Coleman 15K Polar Mach 15
Was told: Doesn't fit drain pain or drain line

I prefer the Dometic 15K Penguin as this is the one the Airstream shop told me to get, but every place I've called says it will not fit with my current system? Seems like it's just the thermostat or control center that needs to be wired in. Can I not just run wires from the unit to a location inside the coach?
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I purchased two new Penguins this year for my motorhome. The thermostat and fan controls are right in the interior cover under the roof top unit; no external thermostat or fan and no wiring required other than 120 volt to power the air conditioner. The only item I will miss is the heat coil I had in my Coleman units that kept the chill off in the spring and fall it is not available in the Penguin with the internal controls.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are different models of the Penguin and you can order them without that gawdawful computerized thermostat.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
There are different models of the Penguin and you can order them without that gawdawful computerized thermostat.

Yes, but I want the 15K BTU and it seems this one requires the separate control panel...so I've been told.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hmm. There's got to be a way. The CCC module is a plug in item and it can be replaced with the analog module. I've thought of doing that just because it's so awful.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Most Dometic Penguin units are available with analog, manual controls that are mounted right on the ABD (Air Distribution Box), which is directly attached to the underside of the unit. The cold air blows out several vents in different directions on the ADB, and there are 2 filters where the return air enters back in to the unit.

If you want the electronic Comfort Control Center (CCC), that involves a different set of relay boards and electronics. You simply specify analog thermostat, manual controls, direct blow ADB and you should be able to get what you want.

I am a factory authorized Dometic dealer and service center. Let me know if you still have problems getting what you want and I'll get you the part numbers.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Most Dometic Penguin units are available with analog, manual controls that are mounted right on the ABD (Air Distribution Box), which is directly attached to the underside of the unit. The cold air blows out several vents in different directions on the ADB, and there are 2 filters where the return air enters back in to the unit.

If you want the electronic Comfort Control Center (CCC), that involves a different set of relay boards and electronics. You simply specify analog thermostat, manual controls, direct blow ADB and you should be able to get what you want.

I am a factory authorized Dometic dealer and service center. Let me know if you still have problems getting what you want and I'll get you the part numbers.
Still having trouble! : ) I'll send you a PM
Old 06-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Need this info

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

I would like to get my hands on this information. I would like to upgrade to a 15k system as described here and install a smaller 11k maybe 13.5k unit in the bedroom area to help fight Texas heat in our 93 29' Excella. If anyone can direct me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Ok, here is what I found out from Dometic. The 15K BTU Penguin A/C requires the separate control panel -- no exception. I just ordered from PPL Motorhomes out of Houston. Totla with tax and shipping was a little over a $1,000 for the complete package. Now, I just need to order the drain pan.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
Ok, here is what I found out from Dometic. The 15K BTU Penguin A/C requires the separate control panel -- no exception. I just ordered from PPL Motorhomes out of Houston. Totla with tax and shipping was a little over a $1,000 for the complete package. Now, I just need to order the drain pan.
So will it still distribute air from the Air Distribution Box like the older style Dometic? Or is it a ducted system? Does it have to have the CCC that everyone complains about?
Separate control panel? Like a separate thermostat control that mounts on the wall?
Seems like with the money spent they'd include the drain pan Guess its all about the mighty dollar.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
So will it still distribute air from the Air Distribution Box like the older style Dometic? Or is it a ducted system? Does it have to have the CCC that everyone complains about?
Separate control panel? Like a separate thermostat control that mounts on the wall?
Seems like with the money spent they'd include the drain pan Guess its all about the mighty dollar.
It has a ceiling assembly, but not like the old Penguin. The new, "improved" ceiling assembly is primarily plastic, and much smaller. That's why you can't put a heat strip in it. Next, the separate control panel is the CCC with the telephone style wires that mounts on the wall.
Last, it wouldn't make sense to put a $70 drain pan in the box with every unit, adding to the price, when probably 75% of them won't use it. Airstream is the only one that gets a drain pan.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
It has a ceiling assembly, but not like the old Penguin. The new, "improved" ceiling assembly is primarily plastic, and much smaller. That's why you can't put a heat strip in it. Next, the separate control panel is the CCC with the telephone style wires that mounts on the wall.
Last, it wouldn't make sense to put a $70 drain pan in the box with every unit, adding to the price, when probably 75% of them won't use it. Airstream is the only one that gets a drain pan.

Thanks for breaking it down. Reading several threads about A/C units I had become very confused. I was just wanting to upgrade to a 15k unit that operates just like my current 13.5k unit, but looks like Ill have to use the CCC style to do that. Havent had one myself but read that some ppl are not happy with them. Guess Ill just have to try it for myself. One doesnt know till he tries.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I was confused too. Seems like there is an opportunity for a company to come out with something better that what's currently on the market. Not many choices.