Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Newberry , Florida
Question '73 Overlander AC Replacement

The original AC crashed on my '73 27' Overlander. Any suggestions on a replacement with a heat strip that will fit the inside curvature of the ceiling?
Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'73 Overlander AC Replacement

Greetings Overlander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
The original AC crashed on my '73 27' Overlander. Any suggestions on a replacement with a heat strip that will fit the inside curvature of the ceiling?
If you have the original Armstrong Bay Breeze air conditioner, I wouldn't necessarily give up on it. I wish that the Internet had been available when I had trouble with my original Armstrong in 1995. At that time, I had only the input from a dealer to go by, and I ended up replacing rather than repairing. Since then, I have learned that the Armstrong utilized commercial components and can rather easily be rebuilt. Even though my new air conditioner was rated 1,500 btu higher than my original Armstrong -- the Armstrong outperformed the new air conditioner in every respect. What I learned is that rather than looking for an RV air conditioning technician, you want to look for a commercial refrigeration technician.

If you decide that you must have a new unit, you have one major decision to make. Do you want a unit that can utilize your Airstream's built-in condesate drain or can you live with condesate draining onto the roof and down the sides? Utilizing the built-in condesate drain, you will have to select an air conditioner that Airstream supports with a condesate collection pan . . . or one of the air conditioners that has a condesate drain feature that can be adapted to your Airstream's built-in drain. When I had my new air conditioner installed I chose to go without the condesate drain, and haven't had a particular problem with that aspect of the purchase . . . I haven't had any problems with staining on my coach's Plasticoat; but on my Argosy that wasn't originally equipped with an air conditioner, the condesate draining on the roof and down the sides results in rust streaks rather rapidly (they do polish out, but it is a headache).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Newberry , Florida
Will the kit below allow any replacement to utilize the factory drain line?

Brisk Air A/C Drain Pan 3107688.016 [3107688.016] - $59.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'73 Overlander AC Replacement

Greetings Overlander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
The pan mentioned above will only work with Dometic Brisk Air a/c units, and may work only with certain Brisk Air models. The description doesn't mention particular models within the Brisk Air series, but before ordering, I would suggest double-checking with the dealer what models of the Dometic Brisk Airs are compatible with the drain pan.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote