RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Northampton , Arizona
2021 Flying Cloud furnace issues

Tech help needed (furnace)

I have a 2021 flying cloud with the dometic DF series furnace. Iím having issues with the blower not even starting when temps drop below my thermostat setting. I keep waking up at 4am with my camper at 40 degrees. Canít figure out why itís happening.
I have plenty of propane, checked for air in the line (my stovetop, fridge, and water heater work fine), and there are no error codes on the thermostat. I used the reset switch on the furnace itself with no result. So far the only thing that has worked has been me pulling the fuse (which isnít blown) and then putting it back in and the furnace starts back up again, but only sometimes? Other times Iíll put the fuse back in and it wonít start at all, or will take an hour then randomly start up. But it always happens again after it cycles and turns off and temps go down again. What do I do about it?
Amkost92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
Behind the exterior panel for the furnace (where the reset switch is) there should be a flashing led whose flash pattern might give you a clue.

If the furnace comes on and the fan blows for a minute or so and then it all just stops. It may be the ďsailĒ switch. If the sail switch sticks shut or sticks open the furnace will shut down after a minute or so.

I pulled my switch out. Is should be right in front of you mounted to the fan housing with two wires going to it. I Sprayed it with some contact cleaner. Worked it a bit to loosen whatever gunk was in there. Reinstalled. Hit the reset switch. All is well. A very satisfying repair on an exceptionally cold day.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
I just reread your post. If the blower never starts at all it not the sail switch.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Northampton , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontzdav View Post
Behind the exterior panel for the furnace (where the reset switch is) there should be a flashing led whose flash pattern might give you a clue.

If the furnace comes on and the fan blows for a minute or so and then it all just stops. It may be the ďsailĒ switch. If the sail switch sticks shut or sticks open the furnace will shut down after a minute or so.

I pulled my switch out. Is should be right in front of you mounted to the fan housing with two wires going to it. I Sprayed it with some contact cleaner. Worked it a bit to loosen whatever gunk was in there. Reinstalled. Hit the reset switch. All is well. A very satisfying repair on an exceptionally cold day.

Iíll try that out when it isnít pouring outside. I am realizing I was wrong in thinking that those LED warning lights were on the thermostat inside the camper.
Amkost92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amkost92 View Post
Tech help needed (furnace)

I have a 2021 flying cloud with the dometic DF series furnace. Iím having issues with the blower not even starting when temps drop below my thermostat setting. I keep waking up at 4am with my camper at 40 degrees. Canít figure out why itís happening.
I have plenty of propane, checked for air in the line (my stovetop, fridge, and water heater work fine), and there are no error codes on the thermostat. I used the reset switch on the furnace itself with no result. So far the only thing that has worked has been me pulling the fuse (which isnít blown) and then putting it back in and the furnace starts back up again, but only sometimes? Other times Iíll put the fuse back in and it wonít start at all, or will take an hour then randomly start up. But it always happens again after it cycles and turns off and temps go down again. What do I do about it?
Hi Amkost92,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 12-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Glad you guys monitor this site and step in. Some of the recent Q.C. issues on new rigs are concerning.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Same issue here

I have had the same issue. I have a 2021 Flying Cloud FBT. My furnace model number is AFMD25141.
The furnace would be running fine and then it would just quit. I also noticed this when the propane tanks would shift over.

Took it back to the dealership and they could not recreate the fault (I noticed the tech cycled the reset switch) and I was bewildered. Sooooo, for the next few weeks, whenever the furnace would not start based on temperature I did the following:
1. Powdered down the thermostat.
2. Took the furnace discharge and unit covers off.
3. Cycled the rest switch.
4. Turned the thermostat back onto furnace.

I limped along like this for several weeks because I could never see a blinking light on the electronics board in the back.

Finally, I ended up with the furnace not responding to my resetting steps and noted a blinking light on the board (you have 4 choices for the lights). Mine was 1 blink in 3 seconds. I believe that this was low air inlet flow. If I knew how to upload a video, I would. Maybe I could email it to you?

Luckily, this happened the weekend I was winterizing. Will make an appointment and show the techs the pictures and videos that I took.

If you want to compare notes let me know. Maybe we can talk on the phone?
WBCCI #6826
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
I just called Airstream and they were very responsive. It might be a limit switch or circuit board failure. Since it is a domestic product, and under warranty, any authorized domestic service agent can repair it as well.
WBCCI #6826
Old 12-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCMRET View Post
I have had the same issue. I have a 2021 Flying Cloud FBT. My furnace model number is AFMD25141.
The furnace would be running fine and then it would just quit. I also noticed this when the propane tanks would shift over.

Took it back to the dealership and they could not recreate the fault (I noticed the tech cycled the reset switch) and I was bewildered. Sooooo, for the next few weeks, whenever the furnace would not start based on temperature I did the following:
1. Powdered down the thermostat.
2. Took the furnace discharge and unit covers off.
3. Cycled the rest switch.
4. Turned the thermostat back onto furnace.

I limped along like this for several weeks because I could never see a blinking light on the electronics board in the back.

Finally, I ended up with the furnace not responding to my resetting steps and noted a blinking light on the board (you have 4 choices for the lights). Mine was 1 blink in 3 seconds. I believe that this was low air inlet flow. If I knew how to upload a video, I would. Maybe I could email it to you?

Luckily, this happened the weekend I was winterizing. Will make an appointment and show the techs the pictures and videos that I took.

If you want to compare notes let me know. Maybe we can talk on the phone?
Todd,

Nice post. Facts, and observations. Well done. Did you check temp of heated air when it was running?

Possibly upload video to YT and link here. You can do it!

Gary

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Gary,

Thank for the props. I did not check the air temperature. Frankly, it never entered my mind. I will try uploading to YouTube.
WBCCI #6826
Old 12-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
2021 flying cloud furnace fault code

Here is the link for the video that I shot. It shows the fault code I received.

Thanks for the tip Gary.

https://youtu.be/6vtDbyM_L6g
WBCCI #6826
Old 12-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Todd,

Not sure if you have this but here is a PDF Tech Install manual
https://pantherrvproducts.com/conten...Atwood-AFM.PDF

and page 8 has the codes. Possibly study a bit and might point in a direction. Air flow is interesting. Did it ever work correctly? Maybe dust bunnies or construction debris but this is Swagville.

We've been to Mohican and Malabar many times when we lived in Ohio. Intend to go back to Mohican and trace some old steps someday.

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Gary,
The same chart is on the side of the blower motor when you open it up. Limit Switch/Air Flow. Blower takes a suction directly from the outside compartment. 1 main duct directs discharge air flow to the entire floor duct system. I did not want to remove the ducting in fear that I would negate my warranty. Nothing that I could see. Not sure where the Limit Switch is but will not look, the warranty issue. Thank you for the downloadable manual.

Lots to do in our area. Mohican is just up the road.

I was stationed in Goose Creek from in the mid nineties. Enjoy SC. We really like Lake Moultrie and the tailrace canal (had a boat at the time).
WBCCI #6826
Old 12-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #14
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
I worked just a mile up the road from Daniel Island off of Clement Ferry for ~7 yrs and came home or went thru the CHS suburb of Goose Creek several times. CHS is a REAL busy area now, growth, traffic traffic and traffic. Did I mention the traffic?

And no, I don't live in CHS never have never will. Great for tourists.

We saw Harley Warrick the last Mail Pouch sign painter at Malabar painting his signs by hand.

Good luck fixing and folks learn from discoveries like you're into right now.
S/OS #001
Old 12-02-2020, 11:19 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
With the cover off and the reset activated wiggle all the loose wires you can find. if the furnace runs after that fix the loose connection. There may be more than one.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Furnace making a loud, vibrating sound

Just had our 2019 25' FCRBT noisy furnace fan fixed under warranty, fan was hitting the housing. Easy fix.
JMatson1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
My 2021 23FB International also had furnace problems although different. There was almost no air flow to the bedroom and not much in the kitchen area. It was two hours just to break the chill out of the interior.

Airstream was very responsive in addressing the issue. Appears to have been a very small air vent hose going to the bedroom complicated by the T- section where another hose directs heat to the tanks.