Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
2013 FC 25, Dometic 15K BTU: Water pours out of the unit when it shuts off?!

So I was having problems with the AC dripping water while it was turned on. A tech came out to do a roof reseal and I had him look at the AC too, because an hour before he showed up it just stopped working. Turned out a LOT of water was building up inside the interior cover, which piled up water in and around the CAT3 cable coupler that connects the "extra AC unit" wiring, corroded it to hell and shorted it out. He cleared out some debris around the water drain and it stopped dripping while it was running, but under one particular case it will POUR water out of the unit:
  • Unit running for a while, while set to "fan on" instead of "fan auto" -- i.e. one of the "LO," "MED" or "HI" options
  • Set the fan to AUTO after it's been running on HI, MED or LO, and let the unit shut off

As soon as it shuts off, boom, big trickle of water pours on the floor. I'd say it's got to be at least 8 ounces.

I think this has something to do with the fact that if you leave the fan running while the compressor is off, humidity rapidly builds up in the trailer for some reason -- you can see it happening on the hygrometer on my nightstand -- but I can't figure out why this happens. My first thought was "I wonder if the fan running without the compressor causes air to be pulled in from the outside without being dehumidified through the AC," but... it shouldn't do that? The airflow should just be "in from the register where the air filters are, out through the interior exhaust vents," not like... "in from the register and then, for some reason, partially out through the top of the AC or something." It's important to note here that if I leave the entire unit off for a while, the humidity doesn't rise at all, so it has something to do with the fan blowing.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what's happening here? This is only a problem at night when I want to leave the fan running for white noise; during the day I keep it on AUTO and you could hang meat in here while the humidity gets down to 35% or less.
starkruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:56 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As far as the humidity goes, the cold coils condense moisture in the air. When you leave the fan running all the time, when the compressor shuts off, the coils warm, and any moisture in them evaporates into the air passing through the coils which in turn raises the humidity.

Moisture in the coils when the fan shuts down remains in the coils and minimally adds moisture in the air. Sounds much like you are having a drain problem.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Jack is pointing you in a good direction.

When the ac is running do you see condensate dripping out of the condensate line?

Just like the ac condensate from your tow vehicle.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote